Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Audio Virgin Begging For Help :)

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2011, 12:46 AM
abbott
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio Virgin Begging For Help :)

Im wondering if anyone could help me i am a TOTAL virgin to the world of upgrading the sounds in my car , i really fancy some middle of the range audio component speakers and wondering if anyone could please help.

Is there specific sizings im looking for , Also will i be able to fit them inside the front doors so they are not noticably any different from standard ?
IM running an 03 WRX and to say the speakers in the doors are horrific would be an understatement.

What about the rear's , would i just fit a set of component's in the back doors too or is this just a solitary speaker and if so would it be a mid or ??

Ive looked at a few threads reccomending components in the front and a Sub in the rear , Is this as in a Sub in the boot what then once again about the rear doors ?

Thanks a million and apologies if any of the questions i have asked are completely obvious

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 26 November 2011, 07:43 AM
chrisl25lnf
Scooby Regular

Default hi

i no mate why dont you just buy my boot build ??? link below

http://www.matrixice.com/our_work.php?full=1&blog_id=26

£400 FOR THE BOOT BUILD
Old 26 November 2011, 09:08 AM
Davey L
Scooby Regular

My blobeye has a set of Focal components in the front. 6 1/2'' main drivers fit into the standard holes with Vauxhall Corsa II spacers from Halfrauds (or the windows won't drop all the way down). The back doors have a set of Alpine 2 way's fitted into the standard holes, spacers aren't needed as the windows don't go all the way down. The boot has a Fli 12'' powered sub fitted to fill in the low end. All running off a 7'' TV/DVD headunit. The bass is turned down on the main speakers so they do the Mids and Highs and the sub fills in all the low stuff.

Priority 1 should be the front speakers then the sub, the rear speakers are just there to 'fill the void'. It's not like you sit in the back of the car so it's how it sounds to you in the front that matters. If you've still got the standard headunit it could be worth changing it for a decent aftermarket one when funds allow.
Old 26 November 2011, 01:18 PM
abbott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrisl25lnf
i no mate why dont you just buy my boot build ??? link below

http://www.matrixice.com/our_work.php?full=1&blog_id=26

£400 FOR THE BOOT BUILD
Little severe for my needs to be honest , Plus I'm 200+ miles North of Glasgow , thanks for the offer though.

Originally Posted by Davey L
My blobeye has a set of Focal components in the front. 6 1/2'' main drivers fit into the standard holes with Vauxhall Corsa II spacers from Halfrauds (or the windows won't drop all the way down). The back doors have a set of Alpine 2 way's fitted into the standard holes, spacers aren't needed as the windows don't go all the way down. The boot has a Fli 12'' powered sub fitted to fill in the low end. All running off a 7'' TV/DVD headunit. The bass is turned down on the main speakers so they do the Mids and Highs and the sub fills in all the low stuff.

Priority 1 should be the front speakers then the sub, the rear speakers are just there to 'fill the void'. It's not like you sit in the back of the car so it's how it sounds to you in the front that matters. If you've still got the standard headunit it could be worth changing it for a decent aftermarket one when funds allow.
Wonderful , exactly what I was looking for thanks a million .
Head unit although probably not phenOmonal all the ratings are ok it's a JVC 7" double din touchscreen job EXAD or something along that lines so think I'll be ok with a speaker setup

Cheers guys
Old 26 November 2011, 01:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Or you COULD put 3-way speakers in place, front and rear. Most major manufacturers do them, and in a car there is nothing between one and set of components, IMHO.

WHATEVER you do, go and LISTEN to some speakers before buying. DO NOT buy on recommendation only.

One man's great sounds are another man's noise.
Old 27 November 2011, 02:57 AM
abbott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Or you COULD put 3-way speakers in place, front and rear. Most major manufacturers do them, and in a car there is nothing between one and set of components, IMHO.

WHATEVER you do, go and LISTEN to some speakers before buying. DO NOT buy on recommendation only.

One man's great sounds are another man's noise.
Cheers for the advice ill certainly have a listen about , not many Audio outlets up this way in the Highlands though
Old 27 November 2011, 09:23 AM
Davey L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by abbott
Cheers for the advice ill certainly have a listen about , not many Audio outlets up this way in the Highlands though
Nah there really isn't.... much as i hate the place i got most of my stuff from Halfrauds in Elgin. Just don't ask the monkeys to fit anything!
Old 29 November 2011, 07:07 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

if there's a decent sized Halfords, that's a start. I did blind testing there helped by my youngest lad.

I ended up with Sony three-way speakers, 6.5" in the front and 6x9in the rear.

Not what most people would RECOMMEND, but I liked the sound, and still do, plus they are still going strong.

I've recently upped the bass a little by fitting an Alpine active underseat sub I bought off e-bay for about £40. It doesn't QUITE go under the seat, LOL, but is Velcro'd down half under the passenger seat in the rear footwell.

I did this as I prefer my sounds to come from the front, so I faded the rears out a bit and lost some of the bass as a result.