Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

MY99 speaker sizes

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 1999, 04:26 PM
GavD
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please could someone let me know what the door pod width and depth are. There are postings here with the MY98 but I am planning my upgrades to the MY99 when it arrives so need to be sure of what max size and depth speaker the MY99 will take in the door and parcel-shelf pods (if a different size from the front door pods).

also has anyone fitted the JL Audio XS 650-CS to an impreza and if so was there any probs with fitment(the JL being 6.5").
Old 26 January 1999, 07:13 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am in the process right now of looking for a new stereo for my 4 door 99my. As far as I know, both pairs of speakers are 6". The tweeter units are empty.
Old 26 January 1999, 08:44 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

I have recently had 4 x JL TR600-XS fitted to my car. The Sound Gallery in High wycombe fitted them so I don't know how easy they were to fit, but they do fit in the standard door enclosures. One piece of advice though, when they were first fitted they sounded dull and lifeless. I was told they would take a couple of weeks to bed in, and they did. they sounded much better after fitting a seperate amp though. The head unit (Sony XRC7200R) has a nominal 4 x 40 watt output, but the difference with a seperate amp was brilliant. I also had a bass box fitted in the boot and that certainly helped.
Old 27 January 1999, 09:52 AM
GavD
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Stuart/Nick...if anyone knows the depth of the door pods then I would appreciate this info aswell.

Stuart I think that you have found out the true "power" of traditional head units. They tend to publish 'peak' watts power, whereas you'll find that that true continuous power for a 4x40w is usually 4x10 and sometimes lower....hence the fantastic difference between speakers run on seperate amplifiers and those run on headunit power.

Once the MY99 arrives then the front speakers will be powered by a seperate amp (prob. the Clarion 4400APH = 4@150w) leaving the rears powered by the head unit as fill only (with all good installations the sound stage should be from the front...powering up the rears or fitting more efficient 6x9's tends to drag the sound stage to the rear and the result is a less focussed stage. I will also have the sub in the boot (powered by a phoenix gold Xs2300 (300w) providing the bass. The advantage in having a seperate amp powering the sub from the amp powering the speakers is that it is easier to set up mid/treble (at the front) and bass (in the boot)...the Phoenix Gold Xs2300 has a trick remote power control so that you can also adjust the power to the sub from the front seat. The head unit is Alpine (recognised as the best for CD's...and I play a lot of CD's) attached to the Alpine 12 disc Cd changer. Oh yes...also fitting sound proofing to the doors and boot to avoid the rattles that seem to plague the Impreza. Only decision left is to choose the speakers...hence seeing if 6.5' can be made to fit into the MY99 6' pod's.
Old 27 January 1999, 10:43 AM
tel
Scooby Regular

I have just fitted 6.5" Infinity Kappa components front and rear without any cutting. The doors required 3/4" spacer rings any more and the trim will not fit back. I cannot comment on the JL Audio's.