Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

CD-changer installation

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 1999, 04:07 PM
mikee...
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to install the CD-Changer to the bodyshell inside the boot or parcel shelf just behind the bootlid? I saw this on a Jag XJ6 once. It kept the player out of harms way and saved space.

Last edited by sammyh; 15 January 2004 at 07:34 AM.
Old 18 January 1999, 04:19 PM
GavD
Scooby Newbie

Anything is possible depending on a variety of factors (although an external roof mount would need to be waterproofed and may look odd);
- positioning of the cd-changer can depend on the type of change...some can be configured via a switch to accept a vertical or horizontal position whereas others are configurable to any position...you need to check the changer itself
- parcel-shelf location...depending on the weight of the cd-changer you may need to strengthen the shelf to avoid collape when 'going over crest at 90'...any repoutable ICE installer will be able to help with this
- depending on the quality of the cd-changer mechanisms this might dictate the optimal positioning for it. I know that the Kenwood I had several years ago needed to be protected somewhat from vibration/bumps as it would jump quite readily. the Alpine 12 disc I have at present seems to be able to be positioned anywhere and is very reluctant to skip no matter what the car is doing. If the cd-changer skips easily then you want to position the changer on a surface which is not going to move easily (back of the seat for example) as the parcel shelf may move on hitting a bump depending on quality of contruction etc...

[This message has been edited by GavD (edited 18-01-99).]
Old 18 January 1999, 11:08 PM
John Phillips
Scooby Regular

I can only echo what GavD has said. Ensure the changer is not too sensitive as this position will surely make it jump. There is no real remedy for this, don't be tempted to use rubber to dampen the vibs. This will only amplify them. I'm speaking from experience here. A good position is on the back of the rear seats. This will also give the would-be tea leaf hassle. (Hope it never happens)
Old 19 January 1999, 12:39 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

I too have a 5door and have installed my CD changer under the passenger seat. My solution for protecting it from rear passengers feet is that my rear floor mat goes over the top of it rather than under. Not only does it provide some protection, but it also makes it undetectable to the casual thief.

See the topic on floor mats if you need a set!!!
Old 19 January 1999, 08:02 AM
spence
Scooby Regular

I dissagree with the idea of the back of the seat. The change on my last car was there and it was a nightmare. unless the seats do not move you will have no end of trouble with the little vibrations! It just gets worse and worse. Unfortunately I do not have a better idea, but not the back of the seats... it'll drive you mad!

Last edited by sammyh; 15 January 2004 at 08:25 AM.
Old 19 January 1999, 11:59 AM
wayland austin
Scooby Newbie

I have a 5 door and did not want to put an autochanger in the boot (too easily visable and thus a possible temptation and could also restrict the load carrying ability) so I fitted it under the passenger seat.

I have had it there for over a year now with no problems - either from the disc jumping over rough ground or from getting too hot (the floor level heater duct for the rear passengers exists close by). Maybe it is worth considering this as a location. Not only does it free up the boot space and prevents the autochanger being damaged by errant luggage but it keeps an expensive bit of kit from view.

The two possible downsides I can see is that if you carry rear passengers alot of the time they would have to be a little careful as you don't want passengers kicking the autochanger. The second is that the autochanger might be a little awkward to get to initially - until you learn the knack!

I hope this helps.
Old 20 January 1999, 09:10 PM
IanF
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Mike,
I have a Sony CDX71 changer in the boot of my 99 4 door (also in my 96 4 door previously).
I constructed a shelf which can be attached to the roof of the boot (under the parcel shelf, not the bootlid).
No drilling required as the factory have put two screw holes just inside the boot lid and there is a hole for the other end of the shelf further inside the boot underneath the parcel shelf. Then just attach the changer to the shelf.
Very secure and jumping on CDs is extremely rare.
I will be at the Surrey meet (S131 WYC - will be a late arriver) if you want to take a look.
Alternatively mail me at ian.foster@nfc.co.uk if you want more details.
Regards
IanF
Old 08 February 1999, 01:15 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Hi!
I'm posting this reply in the hope that someone is still looking in this section!!
I have a 98MY saloon and I fitted my changer, an Alpine CHA-S614, into my glovebox fairly easily. It's an absolutely perfect fit and you do of course lose some storage, but thats a small price to pay for the convenience and security. Minor plastic surgery (no pun intended!!) is required on the glovebox itself, but if anybody's interested this is what I did:

i) Remove glovebox (this helps a lot!)
ii) Cut off the two holders for the service
book, and keep your book at home where
it's safe.
iii) Make a slit at each side of the back of
the glovebox, and bend the back section
back and forth a few times to make it
more flexible (similar to an aeroplane
flap on the wing).
iv) Mount the changer into the space left
in the dash (properly of course).
v) Replace glovebox, folding back section
behind changer to ease closing.

And voilah! There you have it! Some checking along the way to make sure that the door will close with the changer in whatever place you put it will be a good idea, it is in my opinion, the best place for it (unless you wear the thick leather gloves with sheepskin lining and trim).

My music doesn't skip, I can change CD's easily, and it looks the boll-- bees-knees!!

I hope this helps somebody, and if it's all been done before then I apologise but I'm new here!

Any replies gatefully received.

Stef.

[This message has been edited by Stephan (edited 09-02-99).]
Old 08 February 1999, 05:07 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Stef

Your glovebox thing looks a good idea to me. Thanks for the info.
Old 09 February 1999, 12:47 AM
Richard Hardaker
Scooby Regular

In my sport I had a panasonic changer hung from under the parcel shelf (4 door). It does restrict boot access and it skipped when going round tight corners.
In my turbo I have had the standard Philips unit put under the passenger seat. Make sure the heater vents are covered with tape. The rear car mat can go over the unit to protect it from rear seat passengers. The unit has yet to skip. In terms of security it cannot be seen from outside.
Old 11 February 1999, 01:03 PM
RobScreene
Scooby Regular

I have a recent Alpine 12 disk changer. It woudn't go under the seats and I didn't want it in the hatch area of my 97MY 5-door.

For now I pushed the pasenger seat as far back as it would go and slipped the changer in front of the seat. It's only the middle of the backet seat that goes really low so the passenger seat can be moved back forwards to about 1/2 inch behind the drivers one. You'd never know it was there and no skipping after a week.

The only problem is if two tall people need a lift!

cheers,
Rob.