Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Big Install in STI7 - help please

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2002, 06:38 PM
ScottishMenace
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am getting my ICE installed next week. Most of the kit has been moved on from my last Scooby. The guys installing are good but I wonder if anyone has completed a big install and has some idea of layout. My main problem is that in the MY00 I had a false back to the boot and consequently a useful storage space behind the seats. Pics would be nice if anyone has some of their install.

ICE

Subs - 2 X 10" Diamond McDaddy's
2 X DLS Ultimate Amps (Fairly long units)
1 X small Genisis Amp (Yes Luke your one lol)
Phoenix Gold 32 band EQ

The speakers, bass cube, crossovers, caps etc can all be hidden, really just asking about the layout in boot, any ideas?

Many thanks

Dave Allan
Old 17 April 2002, 08:24 AM
Infinity
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

A big install, by the sounds of it, it will be a big **** off install!
Here is my idea.
Get the big amps mounted down either side bulkhead, behing some nice perspex, you might have enough room for a power cap and you eq there as well. A false floor at the back of the seats for your other amp, again cover with perspex. Build this up big enough to sit your small amp under, but big enough to sit your bass cube on. Attach the base cube with velcro, leave the connections on the box so you can disconect it. You should then be able to fold the rear seat down remove the bass cube and still be able to use all available space. You will need fans if coverind with perspex. Providing you dont mind loosing your base when transporting things about.
Have a look at this thread to see if this helps. I can remove my bas tube quickly and easliy, I need to get my amps covered up, but as you can see I still have a lot of space. Not quite as big as the things you are planning!
Hope this helps
Infinty
Old 17 April 2002, 08:25 AM
Infinity
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

A big install, by the sounds of it, it will be a big **** off install!
Here is my idea.
Get the big amps mounted down either side bulkhead, behing some nice perspex, you might have enough room for a power cap and you eq there as well. A false floor at the back of the seats for your other amp, again cover with perspex. Build this up big enough to sit your small amp under, but big enough to sit your bass cube on. Attach the base cube with velcro, leave the connections on the box so you can disconect it. You should then be able to fold the rear seat down remove the bass cube and still be able to use all available space. You will need fans if coverind with perspex. Providing you dont mind loosing your bass when transporting things about.
Have a look at this thread to see if this helps. http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=83603 I can remove my bas tube quickly and easliy, I need to get my amps covered up, but as you can see I still have a lot of space. Not quite as big as the things you are planning!
Hope this helps
Infinty

Edited as I forgot to add the link (Dont know how to make it clicky sorry) How did I get two posts up anyway?

[Edited by Infinity - 4/17/2002 8:28:10 AM]
Old 17 April 2002, 08:09 PM
ScottishMenace
Scooby Regular

Infinity thanks, but the picture in the link looks like an old shape Impreza. My problem is that the rear seats do not fold down on the STI7 so I cant get access via the cabin, or am I wrong?

Dave Allan
Old 18 April 2002, 06:16 AM
Infinity
Scooby Regular

Scottich Menace, you are correct that is my MY00. Thought it might give you an idea of what I meant. I presumed that all scoobys had fold down rear seats, sorry. If they dont fold down why not build a big amp rack there. It would be out of the way.
Martin.
Old 18 April 2002, 08:10 AM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Infinity - here you go

www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=83603

Just click on the edit button in my post to see how to make links clickable.
Old 18 April 2002, 10:40 AM
Infinity
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Doc
Thats a lot easier than I thought.
Infinity.

Trending Topics

Old 18 April 2002, 11:07 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Dave - you've seen what I've done no doubt...

Perhaps this sort of config would work for you?
(The scooby doo is not essential)

Nick.
Old 19 April 2002, 06:17 PM
Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

Nice, Nick.

Just be careful with those amps etc if you're putting them behind perspex - remember they need to dissipate a lot of heat and you wouldn't want them to be damaged!

Cheers
Richard
Old 20 April 2002, 12:00 AM
ScottishMenace
Scooby Regular

Nick

I think thats about what I am looking for. Picked up the car last night and drove it back to Bonnie Scotland today with a few hours stop at ScoobyMania.
I am going to see my installer tomorrow and will pass on all your advice. Thanks guys.

Nick I left a message on a previous post when you were slagging off my discs foe sale (in light months I think hehehe) Where is it you live again was going to try and catch up with you and buy you that beer I promised from the Importing Imprezas site, oh about 18 months ago I think it was, so its probably gone all warm and flat.
Dave Allan
Old 20 April 2002, 08:44 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

I put the amps in a false floor and the sub on top. Fans to move air to avoid heat problems.

Your problems is probably going to be the 232 - its massive!

How about the amps at the back, under the sub enclosure and then the 232 in a false floor that is hinged so you can still get to the spare wheel.

Nice perspex panel over the 232 and it'll be a nice looker too (and stop b*stards messing with the sliders)!
Old 20 April 2002, 09:08 PM
ScottishMenace
Scooby Regular

Kryten

Thanks my installers have got a few ideas but did not explore the false floor, that might be an idea.
What they did say was to mount the two subs at the rear facing in on each other. This would mean the sound could travel out the ski hatch into the cabin (sorry cockpit its an STI7). They would then link the two subs with a false wall so that I would end up with what looks like one blank wall to mount the two amps and my cap.

Now to the crunch they want £600 to £700 for the complete install including brown bread in the front doors. It will take 3 -4 days work. I have bought everything from this company (£000's) and they are very good at what they do. Strikes me this is alot of dosh. Any comments

Dave Allan

[Edited by ScottishMenace - 4/20/2002 9:39:09 PM]

[Edited by ScottishMenace - 4/20/2002 9:40:00 PM]
Old 21 April 2002, 05:05 PM
bazil2582
Scooby Regular

Wink

alright dave,

dunno if u remember, we talked b4 when i had my install done. if you wana see mine, fastcar page 25 - pics of my 3 subs and also my 2 dls amps.

my install consists of 3 x 12" diamonds, 2 x dls amps (one big bass amp!!), dls 6 x 9, diamond front end etc etc.

i was speaking to your installer today who mentioned the fact you were getting an install done. if i was honest mate, i wouldnt grumble at the cost he is charging. £600 - £700 for what he is doin is well worth it and it the much when you think about the amount of work involved!! bear in mind u have 3 amps, 2 subs, speakers, caps, cube etc all needing fitted and set up properly. i must have paid a fig very similar for mine and as the magazine shows - its the b*ll*x!! as you know - you pay for what you get with the people you are dealing with.

any chance of me seeing/hearing your install when done?? i want to see how much of a difference the caps and bass cube make as im considering that myself as the amps have alot more capacity than i am using.

[Edited by bazil2582 - 4/21/2002 5:16:51 PM]
Old 21 April 2002, 05:20 PM
ScottishMenace
Scooby Regular

Hi Bazil

Thanks bazil you have put my mind more at ease. I just felt that £600 is a great deal of money to spend on top of the £000's I have spent already. The alternative is to put this towards mods for my new car and thats what I am weighing up. Have to make my mind up within the next few hours because I either leave it at Skidz tomorrow or reconsider what I want to do.
If I go ahead it will be in at Skidz Monday - Thursday, I live just down the road so if you are going through let me know and I can have a look at your install.
A word of warning, if you meet my lovely wife and mention the cost I will cut your nuts off hehehe.
Thanks for your words of wisdom, hope to see you soon.

Dave Allan
Old 21 April 2002, 05:31 PM
bazil2582
Scooby Regular

Cool

dave,

i know, it is alot but at the end of the day - its worth it!!! a deal for you.....i wont tell your wife if you dont tell my mother!!! i have spent about £3000 or so on my ICE which for a student, could be seen as a big waste of money if you see what im saying

however, i wanted my car to be mag featured and well part of my install was so it makes it worth while. plus, when you go up to crail etc, you can show all other "speed freak" impreza owners what a real ice install should be like!! (i had to do that as my car lacks alot in the speed dept but it sounds good atleast)

i doubt you will regret it once done but if you do, i might take some of your ice off you as im always looking to make mine louder. i might be thru skidz way to see about a tv tuner for my monitors so if i am then i'll let u know.

hope it goes well, let me know how u get on and what you decide.
Old 21 April 2002, 08:23 PM
ScottishMenace
Scooby Regular

Bazil
Craig phoned tonight and I booked the car in tomorrow, should get it back Wednesday. Hear from you.

David
Old 22 April 2002, 10:42 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

600 quid for a full install sounds fair. I would hope it will be a quality install, and you obviously trust them so that's the majority of the battle.

I'm in God's own county, Yorkshire. It would be good to meet up!
Old 22 April 2002, 06:55 PM
ScottishMenace
Scooby Regular

Chiark

You got that right it is Gods own country, he made Yorkshire first of course, learnt his lesson and then created Bonnie Scotland. You have mail my friend hehehe.

David
Old 23 April 2002, 01:18 AM
kryten
Scooby Regular

My last install cost double that (maybe more)!!!

Doesn't matter what kit you've got, if you let some muppet throw it in the car it'll sound kak. 600 quid for 4 days work is pretty cheap - as long as you know they'll do a good job then get it booked in.

Just make sure they know what your musical tastes are. No good them setting it up for Classical if you're into Techno Gangsta....
Old 24 April 2002, 11:56 PM
ScottishMenace
Scooby Regular

Got it !!! Worth every penny - I told you so Bazil hehehe.

Will post some pics soon.

Dave Allan
Old 25 April 2002, 09:15 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

4 minutes to midnight? I take it you're pleased then Dave...
Old 25 April 2002, 09:39 PM
ScottishMenace
Scooby Regular

Hmmm 9.15 am, can I have a job like you please lol.
Old 26 April 2002, 09:08 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I'd been in an hour and a half...

See you later.
Old 26 April 2002, 02:48 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

nick i had no idea you had a neat little insteall like that. looks nice, apart from the piece of crap amp in the middle.

how many times do i have to alert you to the crapness of rf?

Had any luck with the C1 Es yet?
Old 26 April 2002, 03:16 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

:P

RF crap yeah yeah yeah but it's driving over-rated trading on their name JL subs so it doesn't matter really

CL1es are going to be what is known in the trade as a "right ****" of a job. They just don't fit nicely without a fairly major dash re-think, which wasn't what I was hoping for . I could chop my feet off and use rods to control the pedals - that would help with clearance.

Will call u.
Old 27 April 2002, 01:58 AM
HYP1C
Scooby Regular

IS THIS ANY HELP

CHEERS
GARY

[Edited by HYP1C - 4/27/2002 7:37:32 PM]
Old 27 April 2002, 04:22 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Looks good.

I saw David's install yesterday, and heard it too. For the money that the work cost, he's got a fabulous piece of work and a wonderful install. Absolutely excellent, really impressed, makes the best use out of admittedly very good components. (But he plays Michael bloody Jackson on it...)

One thing that did shock me was the soundstage that it's possible to achieve with the standard tweeter mounts in the STI. Damn good even in the passenger seat, which is a difficult trick to pull off. Pulls the centre spot nice and high in the centre of the car, too. This is not easy to get - I've not managed it as well yet... Also it's nice to hear another car set up to sound sweet, not all bass and treble

Top install David. Very impressed.
Old 27 April 2002, 04:44 PM
bazil2582
Scooby Regular

Talking

chiark,

i have yet to see davids but i have something similar done by the same installers so its bound to be good. if you think michael jackson is bad, i had erasure in mine!!!! that was the best song to set it up right, and michael jackson does have some songs that test the frequency's very well. (earth song remix for one!!)

will both of you be up at crail soon?? id like to see and hear your installs.
Old 27 April 2002, 05:26 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Have to grudgingly agree that MJ is OK for setting up to. At least it's well recorded and excellently produced. But even so

Crail is a possibility in the future - will let u know.

Nick.
(off to start playing with going active for a laugh)
Old 28 April 2002, 05:20 PM
ScottishMenace
Scooby Regular

Just got back from my weekend in the lakes Nick. That A65 was great but watched for our friends in Blue. I ditched Mr Jackson for The Eagles and had a loud trip up to the Penrith.
Thanks to Mrs Chiark for the hospitality.
If you are coming up to Scotland for some fresh air and great driving roads please let me know.

Dave