Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Urgent advice needed - Infinity Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2001, 07:14 PM
NeilA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've ordered a set of 605cs speakers, which arrived today... Or rather they didn't - instead I've got 655cs. What I need to know is - will they fit?

The 605s are supposed to be 6.5", the 655s 165mm - the cut-out diameter and mounting depths are 127mm and 53mm on the 605s, 142mm and 64mm on the 655s.

Anyone know before I start pulling the wagon apart - or complaining to the suppliers!

Thanks
Neil.
Old 31 August 2001, 07:52 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Hi Neil,
My guess is 'Yes'.... 16.5cm will go in at a push - with MDF spacers.

I've not put in 16.5cm, but quite a few people have...

Hope this helps. If you're unsure, have a look at Chiark's website.

Dan
Old 31 August 2001, 08:00 PM
NeilA
Scooby Regular

Dan,

Thanks, but I don't want to have to muck about with spacers etc - that's why I ordered 605s - 'cos everyone said they just go straight in!

Neil.
Old 31 August 2001, 08:24 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 31 August 2001, 08:49 PM
NeilA
Scooby Regular

John,

6.5" isn't quite 165mm (is it?). However, the specs in the book with them give exactly the same power handling, freq response etc for both 605 and 655 (the book covers both), but different mounting dimensions as above!?

Guess I'll be on the phone in the morning, in the meantime any further thoughts welcome!

Neil.
Old 31 August 2001, 10:53 PM
Chris Bond
Scooby Regular

Hi John

I also need some advice about Infinity speakers.

I went to my local audio shop today to find out a bit more about Infinity speakers, (i.e. to find out what they sound like)

On turning up to the shop the Infinity stand wasn't setup. So they asked me would I like to borrow a set of 605 over the weekend. It helps knowing to owner

When they went to get a set of the 605 they didn't have any, but the had a set of 60.3 Kappa's.

So my question are

1. Are these better than 605 ?
2. Is it worth paying the extra pounds 4 these ?.
3. They owner said they were new in two days ago. Are they new on the market ?

Anyone out there got any idea's.

Chris.

[This message has been edited by Chris Bond (edited 31 August 2001).]
Old 01 September 2001, 09:50 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

***STUPID ISP Double posting Muppetdom village*** sorry again

[This message has been edited by john banks (edited 01 September 2001).]
Old 01 September 2001, 09:51 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Well 6.5 * 25.4 = 165 mm. The spec difference in the incarexpress link could be an error if the manual says they are the same. I am genuinely puzzled. Interested to know what you sort out, but don't be fobbed off if you don't get answers - after all we know the 605cs fit easily and you don't want headaches.
Old 01 September 2001, 02:40 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

If possible I'd try and compare those Kappas to the reference series, infinitysystems.com say they're $350 which is double the price of 605CS! Sure would like to get my hands on a set anyway.

Steve.
Old 01 September 2001, 02:52 PM
NeilA
Scooby Regular

Oh all right then 6.5" = 165mm! Wonder why the mounting specs are different then?

Anyway, rang this morning and was told that 605s are not available any more - have been replaced by 'euro sized' 655s (i.e. metric, I figure). Any comments on this are welcome.

What really concerns me is the mounting depth. Anyone know if these will fit?

Thanks
Neil
Old 01 September 2001, 08:01 PM
NeilA
Scooby Regular

Right, now I KNOW that 655s don't fit! So I need to get some 605s. Anyone else had trouble getting hold of these? (Halfords told me they couldn't get them anymore as well)

The dealer told me this morning that of course they would fit - after consulting someone else he confidently told me that 17s would fit a scooby! Alright, maybe they do if you start making mountings up etc, but that is NOT what I want to do. Anyhow, I will not start complaining until I have seen how they deal with refunding and collecting their speakers - trouble is I don't really want to buy more till I have got my money back.

Why is life never simple? (only people!)

Neil.
Old 01 September 2001, 08:33 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Did you try to fit them then - is that how you know they don't fit?

Try incarexpress.co.uk and bassjunkies.com
Old 01 September 2001, 09:34 PM
NeilA
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by john banks:
<B>Did you try to fit them then - is that how you know they don't fit?
[/quote]
John,

Sure did! I can see that maybe if I space them out from the plastic 'water shields' then it may all happen, but like I said I don't want to! I assume that the 605s would have just fitted into these? Will try those two links (once I've got my money back). Thanks for your input.

Neil
Old 01 September 2001, 10:14 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

605 screw into black Subaru spacer through supplied metal ring.
Old 02 September 2001, 10:48 PM
Chris Clayton
Scooby Regular

I've just fitted some 655's into my Subara
today. Bit of a pain and had to use 15mm MDF
spacer on the black plastic subaru adaptor
but once the spacer is sorted they fit in
very nicely. The cross over unit also fits
nicely into the same door space to the left/right of the speaker.
As the 605's dont seem to be available for
much longer it looks like spacers is going
to be the way with the 655's.

Cheers

Chris C.
Old 03 September 2001, 01:13 PM
mikefyfe
Scooby Regular

Angry

I'm geting a bit confused/concerned/upset after reading all this.

The last bank Holiday w/e I went out & bought a set of Infinity 605cs from Halfords (Could have got them cheaper through mail order but the missus decided to go away for the weekend so I thought I would buy & install them myself)

Got myself all prepared with tools/wire/scrimps etc. Followed Chiark's excellent instructions and got the door panels off then found that contrary to advice the 605's don't pop straight in.

There was no hint of the metal spacers in the packaging and as I wouldn't know where to start making spacers out of MDF, I ended up having to pay a local car audio dealer to fit them for me. (Don't get me started on the tweeters 'cos there did not seem to be anywhere to attach them to!)

Have I just been stupid (entirely possible) or have Halfords 'misplaced' these spcers from the packaging??

Don't want to moan too much 'cos the speakers are fantastic - like the difference before & after getting your ears waxed !!! Total indecision about whether to keep the windows down to listen to the boxer or up to listen to tunes!

Mike
Old 03 September 2001, 02:51 PM
NeilA
Scooby Regular

Right, I have now spoken to a couple of people who assure me that 17cms fit straight in. They are rather surprised to be told that 16.5s don't! I guess perhaps we are looking at older car vs newer car problems? (mine is a 94 WRX). I have also been told that 605s are actually 6" speakers even though they are said to be 6.5" - back to how you measure them I guess.

John, any chance of a picture of this mysterious metal ring? Seems Mike couldn't find one in his 605s and I would like to know what I am looking for!

Mike, what year is yours - could this be the problem?

Now have to try and get 655s changed or money refunded!
Old 03 September 2001, 03:15 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

The metal spacer is just a black circular thin bit of metal with three holes at roughly 120 degrees through which the original screws that held the factory speaker in place go. There were then four small short screws to go through the four mounts at roughly 90 degree increments on the speakers themselves into the metal spacer ring. The door is so packed with foam it might be a bit tricky to get a good photo and easily get it back together again, but I will look tonight and see if I can find reference to it in the manual supplied with the speakers. I remember seeing the spacer in the packaging and it just looking made for the job of converting to other speaker mounts. AFAIK, most Imprezas have holes at roughly 120 degrees in their front door black spacers - even Barry's 1995 1.6LX.
Old 03 September 2001, 06:41 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

This is a diagram from the "manual" for the 605cs.

BTW - my tweeters are mounted on a "bed of duck tape".
Old 03 September 2001, 10:16 PM
NeilA
Scooby Regular

John,

Thanks for that! I am now waiting to see if they can get 605s... There seems to be some confusion as to availability.

Neil
Old 04 September 2001, 01:07 PM
mikefyfe
Scooby Regular

John,

Those spacers look perfect for the job! Pity they didn't appear to come with the packaging. I checked again and there was nothing there.

I think I may have to have a word with the 'salesman' at Halfords!

Cheers

Mike
Old 04 September 2001, 01:22 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Was sorry to hear about your trouble fitting them esp. when they went so easily into my doors - seemed made for the job. Go and shout at Halfords. Is there the same diagram in your "manual" - since other folk have not received a spacer maybe they stopped doing it?
Old 04 September 2001, 03:36 PM
NeilA
Scooby Regular

Mike,

Did you check in with the grills? - see Babber's post. Did you actually need the speakers to be spaced away from the plastic scooby mount, or was it just that the holes didn't line up?

Oh and by the way John, when I looked, there was a picture like yours in the manual for the set I got (it covers 105 or whatever the tweeters on their own are,505,605,655), but only for the 605s, not the 655s.

Neil
Old 09 September 2001, 09:43 PM
Chris Bond
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi NeilA / John

I have finally got round to testing the 605 v 60.3

I'm going for the 605's. They are the dog's bollox's. I found that the 60.3's could not match up to 605's. If U pushed the 60.3 hard they seem to distort a lot quicker than the 605's. (i.e. the 605's could take full power from my head unit through my amp, but the 60.3 only got 3/4 of the way before distorting. So they only problem I could find with the 605's is that it makes my passenger door trim rattle now.

Neil

I have checked with my local dealer for the availability of 605's. He has 4 set's in stock and can order more if needed. So if U still need some, he said that he will do 2-4 sets for £90. Let me now.

I also asked about 655. He said that they where 1700mm, not 1650mm, so U may have trouble fitting those. They will fit but it's may be a bit of a squeeze.

John

Thanks for the advice on the spacer. Once I saw your diagram, they went in sweet as a nut.

I have a question

Does anyone know which speaker wire in the front doors is + / -. There is two black wires, one with a white strip and the other is pain black. Any ideas anyone ????

Cheers

Chris.

Old 10 September 2001, 10:04 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

605 reference series better than 60.3 Kappa series? Interesting.

1700mm, I want those in the doors

Steve.
Old 10 September 2001, 10:27 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

How much can these speakers be amped up?

Just wondering as I have a set of Dynaudio speakers with Tweaters - a speaker went on the last set - design fault (and the dealers being the Cowboys that they are - Leeds Car audio - fact 'they are cowboys' - meant I had to buy another elsewhere.

It took me 10 weeks to get another one from the muppet of muppet stereo people Dyn.

So if a speaker goes again I want another set - I have 2*12inch Diamond subs (run off a Genesis miniblock) and was running the Dyns off a Genesis 4 channel

Can these Infinity's take a bit of abuse - ie what is there rms and how much extra can they realistically take. The dyns are rated at about 120wrms I think but can take about 3 times this power!

Any comments

So are we saying that really the 605cs is a bargain if one can get hold of any and that they are £90 for the speakers and tweaters?
Old 12 September 2001, 08:52 AM
mikefyfe
Scooby Regular

Angry

I'm going to have to muppetify myself as I feel a right prat.

Had one last look at the packaging for the 605Cs's and lo and behold behind the cardboard taped to the bottom of plastic holder are the very spacers talked about above

So I could have done the install myself and saved myself a wedge. Bit p1ssed off that the dealer didn't notice them either but still doesn't get me off the hook ... idiot!!!

Word of Warning - check very very carefully through all packaging before you go anywhere near a screwdriver etc!!!

M

PS the only comfort I take is that I still don't have a clue what I would have done to hold the tweets in place!!!
Old 12 September 2001, 09:23 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

You'd have popped down to Homebase and got some double sided sticky tape (for speed) and taped it to the splashguard like the rest of us

Steve.
Old 12 September 2001, 11:38 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Wink

Steve, I suspect they may not be quite up to your requirements. They are rated at 90WRMS, I run then from a bridged Kenwood amp which is rated at 150WRMS at 14.4V. I suspect they might bottom out before the amp clips, but I haven't had it on the scope to see. They are VERY good for the money, but I don't know how they compare to really top notch kit. I run them up to 2/3 headunit max volume on dynamic music and max amp gain, but that doesn't really tell you how much power they get I suppose. They do take abuse, but it depends on how much abuse you are intending Possibly not Genesis levels of abuse?
Old 12 September 2001, 01:35 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

John

Thanks - I did suspect that perhaps for that sort of money they might not stand up to so much abuse.

Does anyone know of a good sounding kit that is fairly cheap that can stand up to it.

Its cost me well over £500 to date just on the front speakers - of course if you add the install, soundproofing, wiring and the cost of the amp and amp install that adds up to erm.... over £1500 - so I'm gettign a tad miffed at this stereo malarky

If only I could go back in time - I'd have those Infinity's and probably run front and rears off a slightly upmarket head unit - oh for time travel.... only problem for me is that I keep doing this over and over again...... I'm clearly mad.... perhaps I should start up some 'money burning clubs' - at least it would be less time consuming..............

Quick Reply: Urgent advice needed - Infinity Speakers