ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Which Headunit

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2009, 08:08 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Headunit

I've just bought an 04 STI with double-DIN headunit.

I fancy replacing it with something a bit fancy, needs to have bluetooth, iPod connector and CD, anyone got any recommendations?
Old 16 November 2009, 10:33 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Kenwood DNX either, I've got the 5220BT, now been upgraded to make the 5240BT nice screen, sat nav and Bluetooth built in, add £25 for the iPod lead (you can't use the usb iPob lead that comes with the iPod) or there are ones further up the range but I have no idea in what way they are better! I prefer the ones in the same chassis as mine as I love a good old **** for the volume.

Really easy install especially if you get the autoleads adaptor - you should be able to pick the units up for around £100.
Old 16 November 2009, 10:52 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

You can get a 5220BT for £100.00???
Old 17 November 2009, 09:31 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteveScooby
You can get a 5220BT for £100.00???
I don't think so.

However another vote for the Kenwood double din range - I've got a DDX5022 in my STI
I also have the KCA BT-200 bluetooth adaptor - works well too

Last edited by urban; 17 November 2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 17 November 2009, 12:47 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Cheapest I could find was £500, treated myself
Old 17 November 2009, 01:47 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Alpine CDE-103BT - Alpine CDE-103BT - CD Player

I have one of these going in my car Sat morning (with any luck) You'll need the additional iPod cable to ensure the iPod connectivity works perfectly. But the whole unit looks good. I'm adding one of these as well,

Brodit Holder with Pass-Through Connector for Apple iPhone 3G - buy online from Blue Unplugged
Old 17 November 2009, 08:37 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive a JVC AVX 810 which is a double din unit.Has a full touch screen which is removable,bluetooth and is quite trick.
You can add DAB and it will read your texts as well.Comes with a usb cable to attach your memory stick ...which is usefull because it plays dvds and has div-x installed to play your "backed-up" films!.Also has a memory card slot too.
You would have to buy an i-pod cable,but i've had a mess about and i can attach my i-pod touch or my Nokia N96 which has loads of music saved via the bluetooth audio function and the h/u plays everything through that.
Am sure the 810 has been superceeded now

Trending Topics

Old 18 November 2009, 01:47 PM
n20ckb
Scooby Regular

Hi

I have the JVC AVX 820 and has very similar features to the above, and the main part that sold it to me was the removable front. Bluetooth works a treat,the screen lights up green if you want or a few other colours if need be.The JVC KW-AVX820 DVD/CD/USB receiver features a 7-inch widescreen touch panel display, proximity sensor and detachable face. Built-in Bluetooth wireless technology gives you hands-free cell phone calling and wireless audio streaming. Also included is a full-speeed USB 2.0 port for USB devices or iPod/iPhone control. With playback of AAC/WAV/MP3/WMA files, a 7-band iEQ, an internal MOSFET 50W x 4 amplifier, and plenty more, this is a very competitive 2-DIN multimedia system.

Expanded connection, control, and convenience. Click to enlarge.
Includes wireless remote. Click to enlarge.
Add the KS-U30 for full charging and video display for iPod and iPhone video.

Built-In Bluetooth
  • Stress-free calls with clear communication.
  • Dial by Phone Book, Dialed Calls, Received Calls, or Number Input.
  • Audio Streaming capability for high quality wireless music playback from Bluetooth enabled cell phones or digital
CDs, DVDs and More
Enjoy your favorite CDs or watch some video on DVD, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW or VCDs.
You can also enjoy your favorite WMA/MP3/WAV/AAC audio files, or take in MPEG1/2 videos or JPEG images, from disc or from a USB device.
AM/FM Radio
The KW-AVX820 features an AM/FM radio with standards like automatic presetting. You can also add SAT or HD radio with additional accessories.
The HS-IVi tuner features higher sensitivity, thanks to three IF bandwidths (wide, middle and narrow). It also includes AM Noise Canceller plus upgraded IF filters that help avoid the distortion caused by interference from adjacent stations.
To get even more from the airwaves, add JVC optional hardware for HD Radio or SAT Radio reception.
Detachable Faceplate Screen With Stylish Frame Design
With its smooth slope from side to bottom, the faceplate's simple streamlined contour blends perfectly with your car interior. The KW-AVX820's Faceplate (with Monitor) fully detaches from the unit for convenience and security, or you can remove it during extreme winter or summertime temperatures.
Customizable Interface
Choose from 12 different GUI colors and multiple graphic options to match your car interior.
Multimedia Connectivity
Connect, control, and charge your iPod or iPhone with full speed using its existing charging cable. Also compatible with Portable HDD Devices, USB Flash Memory Drives, and Digital Audio Players (KS-U30 Cable required for iPod/iPhone video connections).
Proximity Sensor
The KW-AVX820 features a proximity sensor that detects as your hand approaches to operate. The unit then illuminates the DVD/Video Menu icons on-screen.
Dial in Your Sound
Perfect your sound with a three-band parametric equalizer and Loudness control for low level listening.
Input and Output
Three pairs of gold-plated 5V preamp outputs are provided for adding a little extra power to the KW-AVX820's onboard 50W x 4 amplifier.
Gold-plated AV and Video inputs are also included for use with video game systems or other devices, and you can also use the composite video output terminals to send video to a passenger screen.
Wireless Remote
A full-featured wireless remote is include for controlling receiver functions. What's in the Box
JVC KW-AVX820 Receiver, trim ring, sleeve, remote control, wiring harness, installation hardware, installation manual, instructions
Old 19 November 2009, 04:05 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

I assume you have to use the original cage when you install it, due to the securing screws?
Old 19 November 2009, 10:57 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Sorry about £500 not £100! It just screws into the existing holes in the brackets, I put my GPS aerial under the clock - fit the metal plate to the top of the air ducts then put the clock panel back down so it's totally hidden and I get excellent Satellite signal.