Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Front speakers hitting door card!

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2009, 12:09 PM
mikemac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front speakers hitting door card!

My Vibe front components are too deep and annoyingly they catch the window when its fully down. I have tried increasing the depth of the speaker spacers but just as they clear the windows, it then vibrates and farts like a goodun against the door cards. Its driving me mad These are the speakers - Vibe SEK60 6" Component Speakers 2008 from Halfords Price £69.99

What can I do??? Is there a way of getting the windows to stop say 4 inches from the bottom so it wont hit the speakers?? My car is an 04 STI.

Not sure which place to post this so put it in electrical and ICE, hope thats cool?

Ta
Old 06 August 2009, 11:18 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MM,
Have just bought some of these speakers,so thats a bit worrying.Let me know how you get on if you dont mind...
Am getting mine fitted by an installer on the 18th,so if they manage to sort,i'll pm you and let you know how they got around the issue
Old 07 August 2009, 08:15 AM
mikemac
Scooby Regular

OK mate, will post any success here.....
Old 07 August 2009, 03:57 PM
vince-sti02
Scooby Regular

chaps increase your size of spacers by 5 mm only ensure you remove all the fins on the back of the door card .
now the difficult bit on the window mechanism where the speaker is there is a 10 mm bolt that is 5 mm deep head on it remove this and replace with some of the old screws you have removed from the OE speaker set up they should be black ones with a cross head, you will need a small screw driver to install this and some thred lock.

you will make 8 mm more space. the last thing you need is extended door card pins these are available from e-bay or halfords or scrap yard.
I have focal components in my fornt and rear 165 vb fornt and 130 vb rear
I do not have any clearance problems.

hope this helps..

Vince
Old 09 August 2009, 04:51 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice one , thanks for the advice
Old 10 August 2009, 09:12 AM
mikemac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vince-sti02
chaps increase your size of spacers by 5 mm only ensure you remove all the fins on the back of the door card .
now the difficult bit on the window mechanism where the speaker is there is a 10 mm bolt that is 5 mm deep head on it remove this and replace with some of the old screws you have removed from the OE speaker set up they should be black ones with a cross head, you will need a small screw driver to install this and some thred lock.

you will make 8 mm more space. the last thing you need is extended door card pins these are available from e-bay or halfords or scrap yard.
I have focal components in my fornt and rear 165 vb fornt and 130 vb rear
I do not have any clearance problems.

hope this helps..

Vince

Nice one Vince!!
Old 10 August 2009, 09:40 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

Location: DIESEL POWERED BORAT! SLAMMED, R32 WHEELS, MAPPED, DE-CAT, TINTS. LOVE IT!

i have this same problem... what a fkin mission!!

Trending Topics

Old 11 August 2009, 07:52 PM
vince-sti02
Scooby Regular

stick with it chaps .The fronts are easy compared to the rear you will not beleive the difference dont forgett to sound proof the door skin inner and inside of the outer this gives the sound much more deffinition. have you all bought components if you havent i would suggest you buy some tweeters also.

best of luck
Old 15 August 2009, 12:06 AM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

Location: DIESEL POWERED BORAT! SLAMMED, R32 WHEELS, MAPPED, DE-CAT, TINTS. LOVE IT!

right finally got round to fitting my componant set today. problem i has was same as above, magnet was hitting window and using spacers the door car would not go on.

simply cut away the small bit of car on the back of the door card behinf the grill and bobs ya uncle. DONT try and use the exsisting holes in the door as the door car wont go back on. i drilled new ones and every thing fits snug. a small self tapper in the bottom of the door card also to stop it popping off and jobs done!! took all of an hour!

and for the record i dont think the rears are that hard??? i removed my factory thngs and used the holes there as ports for my subs. as i have leather i could not get a good enough amout of bass in the cabin. its a pain in the **** removing seats n stuff but not hard!!
Old 16 August 2009, 02:08 PM
vince-sti02
Scooby Regular

Hi scoobyman thanks for that I was refering to the rear doors trying to fit 130mm components doesnt lend its self to the rear doors very well it's a right pain.
However
I too have custom 2 way direct ports from my sub enclosure I have 2x 12" vibe space II series subs mounted in a custom box ported directly through the rear shelf, this has made a dramatic difference to the quality of base into the cabin.
Old 16 August 2009, 10:54 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

yeh i tryed that a few years ago... makes a good difference. the sorta music i like suits 12" subs in sealed boxes. sealed box ported boot.

seems lower and tighter, no restriction on air flow due to under sized ports and there is none!

not in any way knocking what you have done fella, im just going on past experience.

good luck with ya rear door speakers
Old 06 November 2009, 07:18 PM
joshdbharris
Scooby Newbie

Hi,

I have an 04 sti.

Where do you put the cross over box for components in the front? I've have no problem with clearance but can't figure out where to put the box?

Any advice?

Thanks,

Josh
Old 11 April 2010, 08:59 PM
Davey L
Scooby Regular

Cool

Glad i found this thread. I'm having the Vibe speakers fitted on Friday and have the Corsa spacers waiting, looks like i'm going to need do some extra work. A trip to halfords might be in order for some door card pins.
Any comments on how the vibe's sound.... can't be any worse than the rubbish thats installed at the moment.
Cheers all.