Help.... i think i broked it

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2009, 05:39 PM
scooba-steve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help.... i think i broked it

Hello,

took my sub out the other day and left the leads in the boot (the ones from the amp - sub)
Moved the cable over and it touched my spare wheel and sparked.

Now, my speakers are all working better than before (on a 4 channel amp) BUT now i have a wuring sound from speakers and it increases and decreases matching the revs....

What have i done?!?!

Could i possibly be the battery and now its running off the alternator - so new battery???
Old 22 March 2009, 06:14 PM
audioscape
Scooby Regular

sounds like you have created a earth loop in the amp but it is very strange you would have usually had the amp go in to protection first. try remove the ground as you may have had a bad earth to start with scuff up and reconnect if this fails. are you running 2 sets of rca on this amp if so all 4ch amps have a common ground so remove the sheild wire off one rca (braded core) this should solve the problem.

if your battery is dead the car will not start off they key
Old 22 March 2009, 07:00 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

I remember making a similar mistake to this some years ago, I accidentally touched a live 12v feed onto an RCA lead from the head unit, it blew an internal earth fuse on the head unit, this created a horrible whirring sound through the amp/speakers that changed pitch with the revs on the engine. These fuses are normally surface mount devices , they are not like a normal fuse and can be awkward to fix yourself if you don't have the correct kit, I'd suggest you take your amp(it could even be your head unit) to you local car audio dealer for repair or at least get an opinon, it should not be too expensive to fix.

Last edited by BigRed; 22 March 2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 27 March 2009, 10:46 PM
scooba-steve
Scooby Regular

right ok, booked for someone to pop round and try to correct everything.... but couple of days ago my screen went on the dvd player headunit, still plays music etc but doesnt have any picture....

not only that, not sure if its linked or not but it seems like my petrol gauge has began playing up and not moving?!

Any ideas?
Old 28 March 2009, 10:21 PM
audioscape
Scooby Regular

you got me what part of kent are you near sidcup thats where i am working from at the moment.

if you are close pm me and i will pop round