Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Securing false floor, and amp mounting...

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2002, 11:24 AM
whip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Another question:

I've got a kicker sub enclosure and a small 150w amp which is going in the boot. I've cut out an MDF false floor and will be carpeting it soon.

The scoob boot floor seems to have quite a few bumps and dips though, it'd be helpful to hear from anyone that has done this already. Particularly on how you secured the floor to stop it lifting when you hit a bump/get airborne over a humpback bridge.

I have split the floor in two to make it easy to remove or for access to the spare wheel. I've also been looking for some quick-release mounts to keep the sub planted, but allow easy removal when I need to chuck my mountain bike in the back. So far no luck, any ideas???

I'm thinking of mounting the amp upside-down, hanging from the rear shelf area. Are there any problems with doing it this way, or again if anyone has any tips pass em on.

Any help appreciated.

Whip
(soon to be pumpin out kickin toonz)

[Edited by whip - 2/26/2002 11:25:53 AM]
Old 26 February 2002, 12:54 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Amp upside down - depends on which amp, but some can have over-heating problems! Can often be fixed easily by having a 12V fan blowing across the fins (easily sourced from nutter PC outlets).

Fixing things in a permanantly temporary way... I've always found that the serious velcro works well, the stuff from Homebase or wherever. It's tough enough that a couple of times when I've been trying to seperate the sub side of the velcro from the floor bit that the MDF the velcro was attached to gave way rather than the velcro Has the added usefulness that sub boxes are frequently covered in the stuff that velcro likes to stick to anyway.
Old 26 February 2002, 04:47 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Have to echo the above: I wouldn't mount an amp upside down for overheating reasons. You could rig up something to mount it the right way up fairly simply...

The other thing is that you need to secure your sub. Velcro ain't enough to hold it down. Wing nuts could do the job?

Just imagine what happens when you slam on the anchors: your sub is thrown into your back seats. The only thing stopping it slamming through those seats and potentially damaging you is the latch on the seats. Have you seen how big that is?

Not wishing to make you paranoid, but loose sub boxes make me shudder after seeing the aftermath of an errant sub box a few years ago.

Nick.
Old 26 February 2002, 05:29 PM
whip
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers, good advice.

I wasn't going to leave the sub loose, it will be fixed solid one way or another! The wingnut idea is a good one, simple and effective.

I've also been toying with the idea of using a couple of straps through each side of the false floor (it's split down the middle to ease fitting) to keep it down solid. My thought was to cut a couple of small slots in the floor, just enough for the strap to go through, and either wrap it around the spare wheel or find some other point to secure it around. Should do the job, right?

I will look for another location for the amp, but choice seems to be limited. I don't want it on the seats, the surround in the boot is flimsy and I don't want to cut it, which leaves the false floor or mounting it on the sub itself.

Where have you lot mounted yours?

Whip
Old 26 February 2002, 05:50 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
I have mine mounted to the carpet in my 99 STI, carpet held down by Halfords outside heavy duty velcro, sub boxes mounted to the carpet the same way, doesn't move about

I created an amp rack that got rid of the honeycomb divider between seats and boot, got 2 big Alpine V12's mounted to it, also a Power Cap & Fuse Dist box, Equaliser box mounted on the side of the boot using cable ties thru the screw holes and my Alpine Changer cunningly velcroed on top of my 2x 10" Sub boxes and no it doesnt skip but if yours is a uk car it'll prob be different!