Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Hawkeye standard speakers better than Infinities in Classic?

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2009, 05:27 PM
weatherman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hawkeye standard speakers better than Infinities in Classic?

Just changed to a hawkeye and not being impressed with the standard ICE, I brought over my Alpine 9812 HU (60Wx4) from my classic, thinking I would upgrade the speakers at a later date. (Couldn't be bothered removing the infinity Kappa 60.5 components from my old car)

I was most surprised to find that the Alpine sounded much better in the Hawkeye, much more low bass, the Infinities in the Classic just distorted before any usable bass could be heard never mind felt.

Now I'm not sure how much of this is due to to the better enclosures in the front doors of the New Age, or that the Infinities are not that good, or perhaps the previous owner had already upgraded the speakers in the New Age. Anyone have similar experiences?
Old 11 March 2009, 12:05 AM
escott
Scooby Regular

Components need a more power than a headunit can supply to be happy, the standard speakers are more sensitive. If you had amped up your components they would have sounded much better.

Even the Alpine at 60Wx4 is probably only putting out 15-20w RMS, the figure quoted is peak. Alpine is better than some when quoting figures, but if you look at the power handling requirements on the Kappa's they probably need for more than 15-20 RMS.
Old 12 March 2009, 09:01 AM
weatherman
Scooby Regular

They are definitely components in the car (standard speakers I think are components in the new age, in the classic the tweeter grilles were dummy) and I can definitely turn the volume and bass controls to a higher values than on the old car. I suppose its quite possible that the previous owner did what I did, reinstalled the standard head unit before selling but retained the speaker upgrade. Maybe there's Dynamat hiding in there Then again the enclosure does look bigger in the New Age door