Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Is there anything I should know before fitting ?

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2009, 07:35 PM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there anything I should know before fitting ?

Hi guys & gals..
I've just got myself a used set of Focal: 165V 16.5cm components but they come without instructions, are they pretty straight forward to fit? If I poke about & find instructions on the net for any component fitting will this be ok ? I really chuffed, been waiting for a set for months..
Old 28 January 2009, 09:41 PM
Lord Bass
Scooby Regular

Do you have the tweeters and the crossovers too?
Old 28 January 2009, 10:26 PM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

Hiya. Yep, they have both the crossovers and the tweeters,
thanks for replying so quickly
Old 28 January 2009, 10:49 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Easy to fit Julie,you will need MDF spacers though as the speakers are quite deep.They are what i have fitted in my Spec C and they are fantastic speakers but must be amp'd.Biggest problem i had was finding a place for the x-overs as they are quite big.Also make sure you dynamat the doors to help bring out the sound quality
Old 28 January 2009, 11:03 PM
Lord Bass
Scooby Regular

I have a 2002 bugeye. There is a space for the crossover in the bottom left of the door card out of the way i wrapped mine in bubble wrap as if you sick them to the inside of the card they can come loose and the rattle will drive u mad lol
Old 29 January 2009, 01:40 PM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

Thanks Daz, I was hoping you'd see my post being Focal bloke ? I heard yours last year at Wellington Park, sounded brilliant, amazing in fact so decided to just wait. I do already have a sub with a built in amp in the boot area or do you mean get myself a separate amp to power just the fronts ? I dynamated the doors a year back so thats done.
Thanks Lord Bass also to the bubble wrap suggestion and the best place to put the crossovers, its so much easier when you guys have already done it.
Thanks so much for your help.
Julie
Old 29 January 2009, 05:07 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Hi Julie,if your current amp is a single channel amp purely for running the sub then you will need a seperate amp to power the fronts as they will sound terrible if they are powered by the headunit.If you have a 3 or 4 channel amp then you run the sub as you are now and amp up the focals

good luck with it
Old 29 January 2009, 05:20 PM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

To be honest I don't think the sub in the boot is up to much Daz so will go with a separate amp. I can see this is going to be a challange as I'm pretty dim in the Ice department..
Just looked on Caraudiosecutrity for the run down on the speakers which are as follows.
2-way 16.5cm (6.5") component speakers
Woofer: 165mm.
Voice Coil: 32mm.
Motor: Neodymium.
Tweeter: Tioxyd 5 TN 47.
Filter: 2-way 12dB/Octave (adjustable tweeter level).
Max. power: 120W.
Nom. power: 60W.
Sensitivity: (2,83 V/1m): 93dB.
Frequency response: 70Hz-20KHz

I haven't the foggiest idea what any of that means but if you do can you suggest a suitable amp ? Its all this ohms and rms stuff, its so confusing.. I've been sat here for 2 hours going through old posts just for clues and you blokes are talking in another language best part of the time, I'm no further forward now, well that was until you came back.. Thanks
Old 29 January 2009, 09:19 PM
audioscape
Scooby Regular

i will try put this in simple terms rms this is the true figure that the speakers will deal with. Max or peak power well it is fictional if a speaker could handle it for a couple of seonds before it blows thats what is quoted. it is always better to over power your speakers than under power them, example my mids and tweetrs are quoted at 150rms i have a 200 rms amp running them the gain is on mininum allowing for no distortion, this means i have a less chance of blowing them up the cause of most blown speakers is underpowered not over powered. I have reconed more speakers than people have had hot dinners, sniffed more glue all in a previous life! if you over power a speaker you will hear the speaker crack this is bad it is the voice coil smacking the magnet turn the gain down. Distortion you may not hear it and it slowly burns your voice coils then game over re-cone time! or replace.
Amplifier wise depends on your budget and do you want to upgrade your rear speakers later on. if so look in to a 4 channel. what size power cable have you got running down the car if you have an 8awg you will need to replace this with a 4awg.
Old 29 January 2009, 09:52 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Julie,i am running with a JL Audio 300/4 amp which is obviously a 4 channel 75w/channel amp of which 2 of the channels have been bridged into 1 x 150w to power both of my 8 inch subs in the rear footwell and the 2 x 75w are running the Focals up front.Forget about putting anything in the rear as its a complete waste of time unless you plan on sitting in the back.Remember ICE is for the drivers enjoyment more than anything else but you can still get good Alpine V12 2 channel amps quite cheaply these days you would want ideally a 2x75w amp to power the components to their full potential.
Any problems give me a shout,i'd be happy to show you my full setup and how its all connected
Old 29 January 2009, 11:13 PM
audioscape
Scooby Regular

i can see your point tc depends if you want rear fill, or use time alinement. If you are after pure sq fronts only. the focals are very efficent so they need less power to run compaired to speakers that are 89db good quality sound.
Old 30 January 2009, 08:40 AM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

Hi audioscape, you know your stuff don't you ?
This Ice melarky really is like the off side rule to me, it doesn't matter how many times your told, it doesn't stick in Although the way you explained the rms, that bit actually did..
I'm not going to bother too much with the rears speakers although they are ok, no one sits in the back of my car. They can walk, we don't need the extra weight in a scooby Budget wise, I've saved quite a bit on the speakers so can afford to be a little flexible on the amp, no point cutting corners, I've waited a year for decent speakers mainly as everything else kept getting in the way, 3 weeks ago the clutch went but that's now been sorted. Anyway back on the topic, I can see your point though on the 4 channel amp, makes sence to cover all angles now rather than later.
I did actually check your "view my scooby" last night Daz to see which amp you had.. Oh, thanks for the offer of guidance and your wisdom, I may be pm ing you if I have a "blonde" moment, ok another "blonde" moment although I'm quite excited & looking forward to the challenge, something new for me, thanks to you both for talking me though it See you soon, Julie
Old 30 January 2009, 10:09 AM
audioscape
Scooby Regular

was all in a previous life i still get asked to do builds for most manufacturers if you do decide on what amp you want just pm me i will make a few calls needed more money so now work out of the trade. 2.4 kids