ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

MP3 tape adaptor in standard headunit

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2009, 06:44 PM
rubinho
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MP3 tape adaptor in standard headunit

I've just recently got my Scooby. It has the standard combined CD and tape player headunit (referred to as Type A audio set in my manual). I tried to use a tape adaptor which I have used successfully in other cars but after a couple of seconds of being inserted it was spat out again. Anybody have any difficulties like this or is it a sign that the tape part of my radio is fubar? I actually don't have any real tapes to try out on it!
Old 23 January 2009, 08:13 AM
.:mike:.
Scooby Regular

I've tried one of these years ago and thought the quality of the signal was awful - you could try and FM modulator, but they're not too much better. I would say that you're better off getting a replacement headunit - it doesnt even have to be that expensive!
Old 24 January 2009, 07:13 PM
stuartknox
Scooby Regular

hi

same happend to me(newage), put the mp3 cassette in and after a second or two it spat it back out, think the design wont allow these to work, dont bother with fm transmitter as i did and that was pants too.

stu
Old 24 January 2009, 07:54 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

The reason these decks kick the adaptor out is because the drive thinks the tape has broken, it sensors the tape tension between the two spindles, auto reverse decks also do this.

As before mentioned I would go for a new head unit, there's some bargains around at the moment. Most new head unit's will play MP3 encoded CD's also some will except USB flash drives and SD cards, you can get plenty of MP3's onto these devices, the larger the GB the more MP3 you get on them. Head units are not difficult to change, you may need a wiring adaptor though.

My Kenwood head unit has a USB input cable at the rear of the unit and I have a Western Digital Passport 2 HDD attached to it, 120gb of storage space and no messing about with CD's.

Last edited by BigRed; 24 January 2009 at 08:00 PM.