Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

tapes to mp3 - is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2002, 12:06 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like a lot of you (probably) i have a large tape collection from pre cd/md days which im loathe to chuck in the bin.

But would it be possible to connect a tape deck to my pc and encode them to mp3?

I'm pretty sure there is a way of doing this as a few years ago i converted vinyl to cd using easy cd creator add ons, so surely the source device is not important, but the ability to plug an aux in is.

Old 18 February 2002, 12:58 PM
globbits
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup - you've hit it on the head there matey. Basically, anything with a line-level output can be connected to the line-input on your PC. Then all you need do is record into WAV/MP3 using your favourite recording software and off you go

But, you can go over the top....
For example, I've managed to find a (cheap) sound card with an optical digital input . I'm recording a bucketload of Goon tapes onto Minidisc, since my MD recorder's got some funky DSP processing, to get rid of a lot of hiss 'n stuff. Then, I'm taking the optical digital output of that and sending that to the PC. End result, CD's and MP3's with almost-digital quality sound, from a tape

Obviously, I'm just doing these recordings so I can listen to them in my car, and on my home stereo..... Unscrupulous people might think of "giving" copies to their mates..... Of course, I wouldn't dream of doing that.....

[Edited by globbits - 2/18/2002 3:44:20 PM]