ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Replacing OEM speakers

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2002, 10:32 PM
Subaru_Imprezza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'd like to replace all the original speakers in MY96 Scooby for some better quality sounding ones.....any advice? I dont want to take out a mortgage and I'd like to be able to do a straight swap for swap, no extra holes etc :v

TIA

Ja
Old 18 February 2002, 08:58 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Do the fronts, forget the rears. What sort of music / sound do you like? In yer face or neutral? Quite a few speakers just drop in, and many people on here like the Infinity 605s - they're quite bright, but good VFM at around 100 quid.

I run Clif Designs (or CD Technologies) HD602s which are fairly smooth and neutral. CD do an entry level speaker at around 150 quid which may suit you if you want to go that way?
Old 18 February 2002, 10:49 PM
AHall_at_home
Scooby Regular

I've got 605s all round - the rear is worth the effort, but you'll need better instructions than they provide on the sidc faq - here's a repeat of the sidc instructions (with my elaborations, recently compiled them for someone else):

SIDC say:
1) Remove back seat, both pieces: 5 bolts
2) Very carefully, remove side panels: in back seat
3) Again very carefully, pop loose rear glass plastic window trim, pull out gently, as they just have a plastic pop insert to hold them in place. Ease back both sides - NOT ALL THE WAY - just enough to bend them back.
4) Now, go into the boot and pop loose the little black plastic clips coming from the back glass shelf, there should be 4 - 2 each side. The shelf assembly should now be loose.
5) Go back in rear deck area, and carefully bend laminated shelf with speaker covers up in the middle while removing slowly.
6) Install new speakers and reverse order to refit.

I say:
1) There's 2 bolts in the rear footwell, and 3 along the seam between the base and back of the seats. I think the base can be removed by just undoing the bottom 2 bolts, and unclipping it - any problems, undo all 5 first (use fingers along the gap at the back of the seat to find the back 3). Remember to pull the seat fold tabs at the top of the seats to remove the seat backs.
2) I think it's a simple job of pushing the side bolsters up - remember how they come out (so you can put them back...)
3) Nowhere near enough info... There's a plastic door seal round the lower half of the back of the back door frame, with one screw at the top (one each side). Undo the screw, and pull the seal off (It's held on with some pretty strong clips, but they're easy enough to get back on afterwards). Then pull the plastic trim away (C-pillar???) You can afford to pull quite a way - it's held on with STRONG popper clips, but I think you can (and need) to pull 2 each side (might only need 1 popper each side). Make sure you try to pull from as near the clips as possible, so you don't stress (and mark) the plastic too much (done right the plastic won't mark).

Rest of the instructions are correct. I didn't manage step 4 well enough, so broke the shelf where it attaches to one of the clips, but that's the only damage I did - wouldn't notice. You might also find you need to run a stanley knife around the window edgle to get the parcel shelf out - There's some sealant in originally. You'll find that 6 1/2" round speakers are a drop in replacement all round. There's space for 6x9s in the back, but you might have to drill new holes to mount them. (If you decide to put 6 1/2"s in, then it's easiest to take the oval mount out first and fit the speakers to it first.).

PS 605s don't fit under the covers in the parcel shelf properly (but close enough).

Hope this all helps -

Really good rally car feeling when you've got all of the back interior out!!!

Old 18 February 2002, 10:50 PM
AHall_at_home
Scooby Regular

just noticed that the prior post was chiark. D'oh - would know better than I would about how to change the rear speakers...