Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Fitting Rear Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2001, 12:33 AM
steve_s
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best is to offer them up from below i did this with my infinity 6 * 9 on my rb5. you can get old ones out without actually fully removing rear shelf i was scared of braking it. I didn't even take out rear seat back. just unhooked it at each side.
hope this helps
steve s
Old 17 July 2001, 12:48 AM
GraemeC
Scooby Regular

If they are mounted from below do they need to be sealed against the mounting surface? I'm guessing that an air gap wouldn't be good as the sound would leak into the boot.

Working from memory there is a lip down from the mounting plates that could make it difficult to mount from underneath but I'll have a better look tonight.

Thanks for the help, but keep the suggestions coming just in case....................
Old 17 July 2001, 11:13 AM
GraemeC
Scooby Regular

Question

I have some Infinty 16cm speakers that I want to fit in the OEM location in the rear parcel shelf of my RB5. However I have a problem making everything look neat.

If I use the Infinity grilles then the hardboard of the shelf, where the 3 mounting holes of the original grilles are, shows quite clearly and is a mess.
As the Infinities are 2 way co-ax units I cannot refit the original grilles as the tweeters stand up too far.

Do any of the lower model Imprezas come with a rear shelf with no holes in so I could cut my own?

Any other suggestions of how to get round this problem?

I know that some of you prefer not to have rear speakers but having wired them in I quite like the sound they give and they fill in the bass that I feel is missing from the 605cs in the front doors. Plus I've paid for them so I want to fit them!!

Any help appreciated............
Old 17 July 2001, 11:21 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

How about making a 6mm spacer, or buying a preformed spacer, to sit on top of the speaker surround under the parcel shelf? It would push things up and bulge a bit, but on the other hand it would still be stealthy.

Other option is to chop off the tweeter as you don't need high frequencies in the rear. Admittedly, this is a tad drastic...

Finally, how about mounting the speakers underneath the shelf with bolts, thus giving you a bit more clearance?
Old 17 July 2001, 01:58 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

A bit of dense foam would seal it adequately. And yes, you do need a seal to prevent waves from the back of the speaker interfering with waves from the front which would cancel each other out.