ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Standard ICE upgrade help!

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2008, 10:23 PM
davcom
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard ICE upgrade help!

Ok guys, I have no idea when it comes to ICE, but I do know the standard stereo and speakers are PANTS!

Ideally what I want to do is replace the head unit with one the same size (touch screen or something?!?) as i don tlike the idea of a blanking plate of cubby hole.
I also want to replace thr front speakers, and possibly rears if you reckon I need too.

Dont want to spend more than £300. Will this make a difference? If so what shall I go for and is it easy enough to do?

Any pointers on what kit to go for? I dont want to butcher my doors so direct replacement speakers of good quality is the way to go!

Its an 06 newage
Old 19 May 2008, 11:53 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

£300 you have no chance m8 , a good stereo cost that much !!
then you need speakers , amp etc etc , a setup that will make a difference will cost you at least £600+

speak to yr local audio stealer and you will get a good idea what you will get at a certain price range
Old 20 May 2008, 01:15 AM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bighead
£300 you have no chance m8 , a good stereo cost that much !!
then you need speakers , amp etc etc , a setup that will make a difference will cost you at least £600+

speak to yr local audio stealer and you will get a good idea what you will get at a certain price range
Sorry Bighead but if that's all he has i feel he can work with that.

Im going to hate saying this but go pic up yourself a copy of Max power

In the back u will find loads of stuff going for cheap what will make your car sound a bit better then what u have now.

You can get a good head uint for about £150 (Keenwood) but will not be touch screen

For the front get your self some Infinity Reference 5010cs 5-Œ" Component System, you can get these off Amazon.co.uk £40.00 deliverd to your door

Then for a little bass look in Max power again, I saw some pretty good 12inch sub's and and amp with wiring kit going for £99.99 (Keenwood)

So there you go £290 with a £10 for a drink after you have fitted it (hoping you can fit it yourself?)
Old 20 May 2008, 10:00 AM
davcom
Scooby Regular

thanks mate!

I was going to fit myself but I need a little guidance! Can I use original wiring? How do I install the speakers into the door without butchining them too much? Will it look standard?
Old 20 May 2008, 10:06 AM
davcom
Scooby Regular

will this head unit do?

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/7193.html

I'm also looking at maybe an under seat bass tube. Do I need a separate amp? Does this just plug in?

e.g. http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/7944.html

Last edited by davcom; 20 May 2008 at 10:20 AM. Reason: >?.
Old 20 May 2008, 12:59 PM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

Hi mate no worries

Let's start with the head unit, yes you can use that one you have put up and when you order it ask for a loom that will fit your car. May cost you about £25-40 but it means u will not have to mess around with anything when you take out the old head unit just plug and play.

For the front speakers you can use some of the old wire but will need some spare.

The one's i told you about are a speaker, dome tweeter and a cross over unit.

You can wire the old wire that goes to the speaker that is already in your door to the cross over but then will need to use some wire you get from were ever to run from the cross over to your new speaker (what will fit in the place of the factory fitted unit)

In the box there will be a wire for the tweeter, wire that to the cross over place the tweeter were ever you like? I would say the plat on the door were the rear view mirror is the best place.

For bass i would not use an under seat unit There not very good and for the price you will get a much better sounding box and amp to put in your boot.

For a box in the boot you will need some RCA's and a power wiring kit to get power from the battery to the boot.

You run you RCA's from the back of your head unit to the boot under your carpet and on the back of your head unit the will be a yellow or blue wire with remote written on it that you need to run a single peace of wire from to your boot with the RCA's what will turn no and off your amp when ever you head unit is turned on or off.

Do the above down one side of the car.

Down the over side (under the carpet) run the power wire from your battery (there must be a fuse on the wire) to your boot and connect to your amp.

Put all the wires were they should go and off you go.

If you want a bit more bass control then what the head unit can give you when you buy you amp ask for one with gain control

Hope this helps

Ash
Old 20 May 2008, 01:46 PM
davcom
Scooby Regular

this is all starting to sound complicated
Old 20 May 2008, 04:28 PM
valeturcar
Scooby Regular

Default car audio double din unit

will this connect with my ipod(or do u need a harness),also it mentions bluetooth what way does that work as i have a parrot kit from my old car,does it mean i wont need to re fit the parrot in the scoob??

any advise it fab

andy
Old 20 May 2008, 06:31 PM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davcom
this is all starting to sound complicated

Trust me it's really not as hard as you think! Will not take you no longer then 4 hours
Old 20 May 2008, 06:49 PM
knobby_2000
Scooby Regular

Anyone have any experience of one of these or similar.... are they called shakers?
Old 20 May 2008, 09:48 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

I have one of these under my seat:

Car Audio Direct - Alpine SWE-1000 - Subwoofer

As going 4 400 points out, it is no match for a proper amp and sub in the boot, however for me that wasn't an option and it does add meaningful bass below the levels my components drop.

To the original poster, I would steer clear of that double DIN unit and spend the money on a decent single DIN, such as this:

Car Audio Direct - Alpine CDA-9884R - CD Player

Fitting it with a black Impreza or Silver Forester pocket is simple and looks good - check this thread:

https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/6362...nversions.html

Then, if you don't want to add an amp, I would recommend that you go for some coaxial speakers in the front, as components don't run too well directly from a headunit. Loads of options here:

Car Audio Direct for car stereo, navigation and audiovisual electronics.

Or 6.5 inch will also fit:

Car Audio Direct for car stereo, navigation and audiovisual electronics.

Don't bother changing the rears, I did and it was worthless due to small size and mounting location. Save your money and spend it elsewhere.

The above is a really simple way to get a good quality upgrade. If you are prepared to add an amp to run front components then even better.

Last tip - sound deaden doors, it makes a big difference!
Old 21 May 2008, 03:41 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

For £300, given that Subarus are loud little bleeders, I'd want a bit of extra bass.

swe1000 is £109.95 @ InCarExpress
6010cs is £59.99 @ InCarExpress

Then you either make it louder (has the factory "thing" got pre-outs?....
Kenwood KAC6203 @ £69.99
to be fair, you need an amp wiring kit to fit this and that's another £15-£30.

At this point I'd spend what's left on some Dynamat Extreme or similar and deaden the doors down a tad.

...Then you change the h/u....
2xpre-outs and a bonus of sub control and MP3 playback.
Alpine CDE-9874RB MP3 CD Tuner with Hi-Speed iPod Port £109.99 including VAT. CDE9874RB. Buy discounted car audio online at In-Car Express

J.
Old 01 June 2008, 11:14 PM
lilmark
Scooby Regular

Have a look on fleebay you can sometimes get a full stereo system quite cheap or some of the places in the back of max power an fast car are selling stuff cheap on there