Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

How to connect the parking sensor wire?

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2008, 07:21 PM
daijones
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to connect the parking sensor wire?

I've just gotten a Kenwood DNX5220, mainly for the sat nav and ipod control functions, but I'd like the video playback functionality. From what I can tell, the video will only work when the head unit detects that the handbrake is on through a connection between the car's handbrake detection circuitry and the HU's parking sensor wire input. All well and good, but could anyone tell me where and how I can hook into the handbrake detection circuit?

I'm not bothered about the reverse sensor, since I'm not plugging in a rear view camera, but if anyone could tell me where I could hook in the HU's reverse sensor wire, for the sake of completeness, I'd be grateful

Thanks in advance

Dai
Old 16 May 2008, 07:36 AM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

You should have a switch on the handbrake which will come on when you put it on and give an indication on your dashboard. Or if you permanantly ground that wire by taking it to earth it will allow you to see video whilst driving but that is not recommended as you can be distracted whilst driving and crash
Old 16 May 2008, 09:25 PM
daijones
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that. So if I rummage around the handbrake, I should find a wire leading to the instrument binnacle that I can splice into? Failing that, I'll just ground the cable: no one will get in the car with me anyway, so I won't have to worry about passengers putting a video on!!
Old 16 May 2008, 09:28 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

I'm sure if you look around the handbrake area you'll find a switch with a wire on it. Using a multimeter you'll be able to check it goes to ground when pulled on. If you connect the wire to a perm ground then it will have the same effect all the time which isn't a good idea in case you are distracted and crash : )
Old 17 May 2008, 01:53 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

I connected mine to a discreet switch by the handbrake so I can have the display on or off when I want it. The switch is a push button latching type from Maplin and fitted to one of the existing blanking plates on the centre console. The wire runs back to the stereo and is connected to the metal bracket that holds the head unit into the chassis, but the bracket must be earthed using the black wire with the spade connector.

Maplin > Locking Push Switch

(I bought the black one)

Old 17 May 2008, 02:24 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

^^^ good tip about the switch,
Isn`t it a mot failure if the front centre screen can work while driving now?(this could just be 1 of those silly rumors started a few years ago)
Old 17 May 2008, 08:23 PM
daijones
Scooby Regular

That is a good tip, cheers GaryCat. I guess that means though that when you want to watch video or adjust the sat nav you need to push the switch first, even when parked? Effectively, the switch is taking the place of the handbrake switch as for as the head unit is concerned.

Still haven't decided to go for a proper connect to the handbrake switch; a permanent ground; or a permanent ground with a switch. In case I go for the former, and to save me fiddling about too much, can anyone tell me what the wire from the handbrake looks like and where I might find it under the gear lever surround (don't really want to lift all the gubbins around the handbrake!)

Cheers

D
Old 18 May 2008, 08:26 AM
Granby
Scooby Regular

I just grounded mine on the earth for the stereo, don't think they check it on the MOT as they didn't on mine
Old 18 May 2008, 09:33 AM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Its not checked in the MOT. They have never asked about mine either as the detachable front is never on when it goes in to be tested.
Old 19 May 2008, 01:27 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Mine has gone though 2 MOT's with the switch there and the stereo installed. I don't think they make any checks.

I normally leave the screen switched off (JVC AVX800) as I use my stereo to play DVD-Audio discs which don't have much video content. I only switch it on when i need to navigate the DVD menus.

Whether it is legal or not is a grey area. It is possible to view video while the car is in motion but if the driver always switches the video off before moving it's no different to the mobile phone or eating-while-driving law i.e. the decision to break the law is up to the driver.
Old 19 May 2008, 09:52 PM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

Dai

In mine (2001) the hand brake cable is pink!! I found it by trial and error and a very sensitive electrical meter and some patience.

Found it by the drivers side door sill (under the the carpet) where the looms met with the B pillar.

Hope this helps and happy watching.

I'm thinkin there must be a way of turning off your screen. It may a bit different but on mine (its a single din) if you keep one of the function buttons pressed for 2 seconds, it turns off the screen. (i can also operate mine fully closed aswell)