Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Best place to mount amps??

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2002, 10:03 AM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my MY99 Sti-V 4 Door, where is the best place to hide 2/3 Big V12 Alpine Amps, Equaliser Control Box, Power Cap etc, I thought behind the rear seat and the funny plastic dividing bit???

Any ideas?
Old 16 January 2002, 04:20 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

in the bin, alongside any rockford gear you might buy.

Seriously though best place has got to be on the boot floor. Could consider making a flase floor.

May not be the most practical, but it ensures a secure fixing and is certainly much better for cooling than a verical installation.
Old 16 January 2002, 05:01 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Cheers m8!!!! No need for that lol!!

You could be right, but I am gonna be using the boot constantly, I don't have the time nowdays to be building a false floor either
Old 16 January 2002, 06:01 PM
Kingsize K2
Scooby Regular

I have the exactly the same car and have a V12 under one seat and a Rockford under the driver's seat. I use the boot too much to lie them flat in there. I have had two mates in the back down to France and they didn't even know they were there
Old 16 January 2002, 06:49 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Toby,

Get a piece of MDF and make a panel that sits between the back of the rear seat and the boot. Cover the panel in carpet so it looks pretty and then screw the amps to the board. Also you can hid the cables between the panel and the back of the seat!

You retain the boot floor and it looks pretty!!

I had this set up in a previous Scoob.

Andy

[Edited by Andy Tang - 1/16/2002 6:49:59 PM]
Old 17 January 2002, 02:15 AM
Ya Na
Scooby Regular

Wink

Andy best thing to do.
I have the biggest 2ch V12 amp and the biggest 4ch V12 amp screwed to MDF with all the wires carefully clipped to the board right behind the back seat. I then have a carpeted panel same colour as boot with the two amp cut outs which fits over the board and amps and looks tha dogs bollo$$$ It looks so good two of my mates have had the samething done, you can't see any wires just the front panel of the amp were the hole for the fan is and the gain, filter adjustment panel is. The amps lay completely level with the carpeted panel.....looks absolutely proper!!!!
No need to put anything under your seats (except your playstaion 2) and you can keep all the boot space you need.

Hope this helps.

Dave.
Old 17 January 2002, 09:16 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Adam

This slagging off of Rockford Fosgate on every other post you make is getting a tad boring... If you're not careful, you'll be branded a snob like Cem . You've been brainwashed. Admit it.

Amps are resilient things, especially if you're not trying to drive something with the impedance of a nail, and cooling isn't normally a problem. Just never ever mount the things upside down!!!

I have mounted a temperature probe on my amp heatsink for the purpose of monitoring.

If you do mount stuff on tbe back of the back seat, you will NEED to ensure that the wiring is safe and can move with the seat safely. This is not something that you can say "***** to it, I'll do that later" as you can damage your amp, speakers, God only knows what when you short things. Some amps to have short circuit protection, but magazines were finding that sound quality was affected permanenlty once the short circuit protection had been used once in their tests.

Old 17 January 2002, 09:44 AM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Tango,

I remember you saying this the other day m8, I think you are totally right, sounds like the best solution, I'll come over and show you the finished article when it's all sorted m8, thanks bud

Chiark, I dunno why people slag off RF stuff, their component speakers are some of the best I have ever heard, their subs are excellent, their amps are good whilst i think they are not the best they are vv powerful for the money.
Old 17 January 2002, 10:37 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

It is my right to slag off rockford because in my experinece it is rubbish stuff, I am sorry, the speakers are passable but the amps are just pants.

Snob maybe, but since rockford is not cheaper than other better makes I beg to differ!

just forgot my smilie in the original post sorry .

Recent experiencs have taught me that fancy installs are a bad thing. If I chose to keep anything in my car (which I wont now) it will be a stealth only system.

Otherwise the best ice comes from the thing under the bonnet.

I cant understand the desire to monsetr special looking installs anymore.

Opening your boot to see fancy mounted amps reminds me of being 17. If I opened my boot now to see that I would be embarassed of caring that much about subs and amps, and hope no one was looking, never mind the thieves.
Old 17 January 2002, 10:51 AM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

I can see your point, I am not a fan of RF amps, but their speakers are pretty good if you have the money to spend on them...

I agree, fancy installs nowdays are a waste of time, unless it's your dang as it were, hence i wanted to know if it was safe to mount my amps etc behind the rear seats and the funny dividing area (for stealth reasons), the only thing you would be able to see is subs....

In my opinion a nice stereo in the car is a way of enjoying music whilst enjoying driving, I only really get to listen to music in my car nowdays.

I wouldn't agree with a big stereo = being 17, sp would you tarnish people with performance mods then as being max power style 17 year olds?
Old 17 January 2002, 11:36 AM
Happy Hyperion Hippo
Scooby Regular

Sorry lads, but getting back to the question in hand.
I want to mount 2 amp one under each front seat what is the best way to hold them down as I am worried about drilling and getting rust and water in the car.
Old 17 January 2002, 11:38 AM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Hippo, why dont you try heavy duty velcro? Instead of screwing them down if you don't want to permanently fix them or worried about damage, as it were, plus being under the seats they wont be able to go far.....
Old 17 January 2002, 11:59 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Another way to mount amps under seats would be to get a piece of wood a little bigger than the amp, stick that under the carpet, and screw the amp into the wood panel through the carpet.
Old 17 January 2002, 12:04 PM
Happy Hyperion Hippo
Scooby Regular

Nice, thank you very much!
Old 17 January 2002, 12:24 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Simple - if you dont want anyone to see it - make a small panel with mdf and bond this indside the wheel arch BEHIND the grey plastic panel.... then mount your amp to that.

Jza
Old 18 January 2002, 09:16 AM
kryten
Scooby Regular

If anyone's interested and wants to make me an offer, my old AMP rack ain't much use to me any more:

http://www.rb5wr.com/forsalegallery/index.htm

As for mounting under the seats just be careful of the seat base adjustment - you don't want to crush the amp or wiring when moving it.
Old 18 January 2002, 11:47 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I had a largish install, until recently.

My car arrived with JL audio components all round which I did not change.

I had a previous totr becker headunit and multiplay which I sold cos the quality was excessive given the environemnt. I used the money to buy a complete pioneer tv system, as I decided that quality was wasted, I would stick with naim audio in my house and go for flashing lights in my car! why not.

I had had plans to fit a dvd player and sat nav, but since some ill educated thieving scum decided to pull my screen out of its own cage,therein breaking it for everyone, I have decided against it.

I had one zx450 amp mounted along with the modules for the tv on an amp board behind the rear seat with a backing over it covered in carpet as described. The install from the boot was almost invisible apart from the cutout of the cd player and some fan ventilation holes.

Now that my screen has been destroyed I have taken the lot out and it is being sold. I have bought a £150 head unit with the new pioneer 45 watts (bollocks) integral amps running the same speakers and it sounds fairly decent. To be honest it didnt sound great before. The speakers were not to my taste and I had no sub in there but never mind.

Can I suggest that all P1, 22B jap import owners unhook the cable that gives internal boot release once you ahve gained entry into the car.

Yes there is more chance of locking your keys in the boot, but it does slow down opportunist car thieves from getting to the good stuff.
Old 20 January 2002, 02:50 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Just to echo Adam's advice, the UK models have this boot release too. Mine's disabled, and the only way into the boot is using the key or alarm remote thingy doodah.
Old 21 January 2002, 12:25 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my MY98 UK the rear seats fold down so disabling the remote boot release isn't going to stop anyone from getting in there.

Steve.
Old 21 January 2002, 01:12 AM
Ya Na
Scooby Regular

Red face

Nothing is going to stop a screwdriver smashing through the lock barrel and opening the boot.....apologies for being realistic!!

Dave.
Old 21 January 2002, 06:49 AM
Ga22ar
Scooby Regular

Guys..

Following this thread I've gone the route of putting in a MDF sheet behind the seat, attaching to the spar running across the top of the boot which has some handy pr-existing holes..

Problem is how to secure the bottom half, I dont want to drill into the body. I think the tank is directly beneath the floor, the prospective location point being about 3-4 inches behind two screw on covers in the boot floor (petrol feed covers??).

The inner wheel arches that are visible behind the trim, are these double skinned ?

What have others done who have used the same method of mounting the amps in thie area to secure the mounting board. ??

cheerio
Old 21 January 2002, 09:19 AM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

I have heard that on the jap imports that it's not possible to mount an amp rack as it were on the rear seats as they have a different fitting to the uk cars? anyone got any experience on this?

ta
Old 21 January 2002, 10:28 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

The sti5 has a single (square shaped i think) metal bar running across the back which does indeed have two handy holes as says, but quite how you hold the bottom..........

I suppose you might be able to add extra holes in it and put four or 6 in there to screw into and just have it bolted in there, but not sure if it could cope with the weight of multiple/big amps tho.

Old 21 January 2002, 10:31 AM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Sounds a bit dubious, aint gonna hold up properly, can see it all come crashing down, with expensive consequences!!!
Old 21 January 2002, 10:34 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

edited as posted twice........

[Edited by ptholt - 1/21/2002 10:35:07 AM]
Old 21 January 2002, 10:44 AM
Ga22ar
Scooby Regular

What I plan to do is possibly tap into the inner arches and place mounting spurs against the arches in order to provide cross bracing to mount the board to..

Question is - what is on the other side of the inner arch ?, is it double skinned so there may be a dry space or is it single skin meaning breaching the watersealing and getting into the resealing/rust proofing situation.

As for the top bracing it works very well, a couple of large M6 bolts doing the job nicely - tho some more may come into play..

I dont see this being an issue when the amps are mounted regarding weight etc..

cheerio
Old 24 January 2002, 02:48 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

True Ya Na - but it'll add another 20 secs to the time they have to muck about!!!

Gotta be worth it IMHO

Cheers Adam!

Jza