Recommended Updrade on ICE?

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2007, 08:56 PM
ScoobyLee2000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended Updrade on ICE?

Hi All,

Please can you give me your recommended upgrades to speakers and head unit for a 55reg STI.

Not got a huge budget!!

Pictures would be good....

Also is it hard to fit new speakers??

ScoobyLee
Old 03 November 2007, 01:18 AM
phoenixgold
Scooby Regular

An indication of what budget you have would be useful. I put a kenwood double din and component speaker set in my 07 wrx. Sounds excellent and the feature set on the kenwood is amazing.
Old 04 November 2007, 12:47 AM
ScoobyLee2000
Scooby Regular

budget £250....do i need to save more?
Old 07 November 2007, 10:16 PM
phoenixgold
Scooby Regular

Not necessarily. Good product selection can go a long way. This Kenwood double din looks good value. These Infinity Speakers look a good buy. Not 100% sure of the speaker locations and sizes in the 05 sti, but they are similar to what I have in my 07 wrx. If the rears are in the doors, I wouldn't worry about them too much unless you really want to change them. Could always do it when you have a bit more money.

Didn't change them myself (didn't fancy it on a new car) but have done several speaker changes on my previous cars and found most things straightforward.

You will probably need a wiring adapter and possibly some speaker spacers (Mentioned several times on here as corsa adaptors) to complete the upgrade.

Not gonna get a screen for that money imo, but could still get a reasonable sound.

Single din is an option, but would need a blanking plate for the gap.

Hope this is useful.

Jason
Old 10 November 2007, 10:56 AM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

I agree with what phoenixgold says. There's also this JVC for £160 - Car Audio Direct - The UK's leading car audio and stereo resource.

Also consider getting some Dynamat or other soundproofing for your doors - it can make a big difference.
Old 14 November 2007, 08:39 AM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

Personally I doubt only spending part of your £250 budget on a new head unit would get you anything better than the standard fit. From memory the standard fit double-DIN Kenwood is the best part of £600 to buy new from Subaru (obviously huge mark-up).

Unless the head unit is knackered the biggest improvement (that you will notice) will be had by installing a sub.

Rich
Old 14 November 2007, 02:03 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NorthDownsScooby
Personally I doubt only spending part of your £250 budget on a new head unit would get you anything better than the standard fit. From memory the standard fit double-DIN Kenwood is the best part of £600 to buy new from Subaru (obviously huge mark-up).

Unless the head unit is knackered the biggest improvement (that you will notice) will be had by installing a sub.

Rich
Not sure I would agree - I replaced my 02 WRX head unit with a Sony MEX BT2500, which is nothing special and costs about £120, although you can get it cheaper. It makes a big difference to the sound compared to the standard head unit.

I should have researched a bit more first though - this head unit doesn't allow a sub to be added, I was mainly taken in by the Bluetooth functionality, which is pretty good.

Speakers next - Infinty 6020cs, a bit worried about the install!