ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

What sub and amp for MY03?

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2007, 06:30 PM
DCTim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What sub and amp for MY03?

Hey guys, I got my MY03 saloon with standard speakers all round. I'm looking to get a sub to take the lows away from the doors and stop them distorting so much. But dont know what to go for.

Basically looking for some smooth lows. Something either 8" most likely. I dont want to use so much space.

Anyone got any recommendations?
Old 05 October 2007, 08:46 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

I'm running 2 Jl Audio 8W3 subs which are built into the floor of my 05 Spec C powered by a JL Audio 300/4 amp the front 2 channels are powering my components in the front but the rear 2 channels have been bridged to run 150w RMS to the 2 8" subs.Sounds very nice indeed

probably not your cheapest way to go about it though
Old 05 October 2007, 11:03 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

heres a pic of my install,and yes the subs are behind the front pasenger seat

Old 05 October 2007, 11:49 PM
DCTim
Scooby Regular

That looks cool, what happens when people get in the back though?
Old 06 October 2007, 12:00 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

I have reinforced metal grilles to cover the subs and the enclosure is made out of very durable fibreglass so no worries there the floor has only been raised to the level of the transmission tunnel so it doesnt compromise legroom too much
Old 06 October 2007, 08:05 PM
DCTim
Scooby Regular

Hmm. I'm tempted for a small boot install though. I have no space under pass seat as I have my changer under there
Old 06 October 2007, 08:32 PM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

i have a couple of amps in my boot and the subwoofer fires through the ski hatch in the rear seats. (it started of small!!!! - famous last words)

Its a bit extreme and the sub's about double the size your looking at but if you are only after ideas then .....view my profile.

"Stealthboxes" do a subaru item for your boot if looking at saving space and then all you need is to put the amp somewhere.
Old 06 October 2007, 11:48 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Thing to remember is that you only get the ski hatch with UK cars
Old 07 October 2007, 10:09 PM
DCTim
Scooby Regular

Thanks scooby51. Anyone know where I can/should mount the amp? Bearing in mind i'm the least echnical guy you'll ever meet, heh.

Edit: Nice install... Tis pretty much 100x what I'm looking for, but looks impressive. Do you have a link to the Stealthboxes place?

Last edited by DCTim; 07 October 2007 at 10:14 PM. Reason: cat-flagers
Old 08 October 2007, 08:23 AM
V5-APS
Scooby Regular

The amp could be mounted on a carpeted MDF board, then bolted to the back of the rear seats in the boot.
Old 08 October 2007, 03:29 PM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

it would appear their website no longer exists

www.stealthboxz.com if you wanna try. may be my pc
Old 09 October 2007, 05:56 PM
DCTim
Scooby Regular

Nah, didnt work for me other... Bugger.

On a separate note, for future reference. Where and what size are the speakers in my car?
Old 17 October 2007, 04:11 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
Thing to remember is that you only get the ski hatch with UK cars
mine's from belgium (via holland) and i have the ski wotsit
Old 17 October 2007, 04:15 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCTim
Hey guys, I got my MY03 saloon with standard speakers all round. I'm looking to get a sub to take the lows away from the doors and stop them distorting so much. But dont know what to go for.

Basically looking for some smooth lows. Something either 8" most likely. I dont want to use so much space.

Anyone got any recommendations?

i read up on the detail here (i think chiark or someone posted a few links to how to build a fibreglass box about 18months ago) and built a sub box myself. took months as i never worked on it for more than about an hour at a time, but very pleased with the result. it's all removable, so i still have "buggy space" but hasn't NEEDED to be removed for any reason so far. i mounted an infinity perfect 10 sub in the mdf front, together with additional power socket (for cool box, solar panel etc etc) and switches so i could isolate the amp and the socket individually. all driven by an alpine amp (mounted on top of the box). view my scooby for a pic
Old 17 October 2007, 09:20 PM
DCTim
Scooby Regular

That's kickass mate. I really like that.... Want to make me one? Not sure about the cigarette lighter in the back though? Also, what are the switches on the box for?
Old 18 October 2007, 09:15 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

it's not all that difficult - just time-consuming. the lighter socket is for power (for cool box, power inverter, solar panel to charge battery etc) and the switches enable me to turn off either the socket or the amp - or both.

read up on it and take the plunge! i did think "during production" that it was all a real pain in the @rse and that i should have just bought a stealthboxz. however, now it's finished (although the covering does need a tidy up), i have a one-off that fits perfectly. will probably make something similar when i change my car next (i've had the bugeye for over 4 yrs now - no rush to change it, but i would like more power at some point! )

don't think i'll be making any to order! if you really want to have something made, have a good look around on here. there are loads of people who have made their own custom installs and may well be willing to build something for someone else (for the right money of course). alternatively, you could get lucky and find someone selling a custom made bit of kit that will fit straight into your car - why not start a thread and see what happens?
Old 18 October 2007, 09:19 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

...Not sure about the cigarette lighter in the back though?...
my other car has a lighter socket in the passenger footwell. it confused the hell out of people when they saw it being beuilt in the factory, but later realised that having a power socket in one of these things is actually quite handy....sat nav, phone charger, cool box, 12v compressor....etc etc

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3.../PICT0007b.jpg
Old 18 October 2007, 10:06 AM
scoobystiv8
Scooby Regular

I have a MY03 and opted for the Alpine SWD 1600 Ultra compact under-seat subwoofer. I have one under each seat, no loss of space at all and the sound quality is really good. Easier and probably cheaper option.
Old 18 October 2007, 12:11 PM
DCTim
Scooby Regular

Rich, I'd love to make my own. But I've never used fibreglass before. Plus I wouldnt know where to start. I have no tools/knowledge to do it. Am the least technically minded person ever.

I see what you mean about the Cig lighter socket, that's pretty damn cool. Very handy for hot summers (if we ever get any of them again).
Old 18 October 2007, 10:46 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Rich, I'd love to make my own. But I've never used fibreglass before. Plus I wouldnt know where to start. I have no tools/knowledge to do it. Am the least technically minded person ever.

I see what you mean about the Cig lighter socket, that's pretty damn cool. Very handy for hot summers (if we ever get any of them again).
trust me...if i can do it; you can do it!
i will find the link i used.

although i had some (very limited) fibreglassing experience from lambretta body repairs, i am by no means an "experienced glasser"
Old 18 October 2007, 10:48 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobystiv8
...Easier and probably cheaper option...
probably right. a colleague of mine had an active sub in a punto - he was very happy with it, but says he would try the "box" option next time though

voice of experience i suppose - i have no expereicne of an active sub, so couldn't make the comparison
Old 19 October 2007, 09:14 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

here you go, try these (i can't find the info i used, but they're all pretty similar) -
Google Image Result for http://broken1.tripod.com/vw/stealthbcnew.jpg

Tutorial - Building a Fibreglass Subwoofer Enclosure - Mobile Electronics Australia

CFS Fibreglass Supplies: Making fibreglass car boot speaker enclosures

- you should really be sizing the box correctly according to the sub you're going to be running (rather than the "one size fits all" approach as this is won't acheive the best improvement your chosen sub can offer - although it will of course work. depends whether you're an "audio head" or you just want a boom boom noise...

good luck with the build - i hope you give it a try and if you do i know you'll be pleased with the result when you finish. don;t forget to keep us posted with pics!!
Old 19 October 2007, 10:17 AM
DCTim
Scooby Regular

I'll have to have a look into it. Will have to see if anyone I know near me has glassing experience to help.
Old 19 October 2007, 11:19 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

you probably won;t need any help. just take it slow and make sure there are no air bubbles in what you're doing. if you do get air in it, you can always cut that section out and replace it, so get stuck in!!
Old 19 October 2007, 12:12 PM
DCTim
Scooby Regular

True, but I'll get a mate's guidance for my own personal satisfaction. It's the only way I'll ever feel secure in that