ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

alpine x001

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2007, 05:15 PM
Pav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alpine x001

Thinking about buying the new Alpine x001 made for ipod HU.

Any of you guys have one already?
What are they like? worth the money?
The salesman on the phone was singing it's praises, not sure if this was 'sales patter' though.

Gonna get it on friday i think £249

All comments welcome

Cheers
Old 24 May 2007, 10:05 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I read in last months Jap Performance mag that this Hu only support the latest of video ipod mp4 players, not the earlier models.
Old 24 May 2007, 02:34 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn`t think it was out yet as they keep putting it back. I would imagine it will be made to suit any ipod no matter what year or spec. Defo want one though, looks cool.
Old 24 May 2007, 04:02 PM
martb4
Scooby Newbie

I have just got one, using it with my 3rd gen iPod. Be aware that if you use it with anything other than a 5th gen you will need an additional lead.

Things I like, sounds excellent, all track info displayed, probably other stuff too, but I think to say it works really well, sounds good and looks good is enough.

Things I dont like, the volume control is sprung loaded rotary, so it only turns about 45degrees either way which is annoying for quick adjustments. There are no radio preset buttons so you have to go into a menu to select them. So if you want preset 5, it will require 6 actions to get it. Also searching through the iPod is slow, where as on the 'pod you can scroll extremely quickly on this it goes through each individual track/artist/album so can take a while to get to those starting with 'M' for example. Although I am led to believe with 5th gen iPods you can search by first letter of the track/album etc also, which will help loads. But even after all that its still great.

Let me know if you want to know anything specific.

Last edited by martb4; 24 May 2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 25 May 2007, 06:02 PM
SVVG
Scooby Regular

I was looking at this head unit too - what speakers have you got?

I've got a classic scoob - and the guy I bought it from spent quite a few hundred quid on speakers - but I hate them! They're Cadence Ultrashock if that means anything - but they are really shrill and badly matched. Looking at some JL Audio stuff - but looks like I'm going to have to spend about £400 for anything decent?

Incidentally, Hendon Car Stereo (possibly Hendon Car Audio?) were advertising this HU on their website for about £225 last week I think - which is the cheapest I've seen.

There's a Pioneer which also looks pretty nice actually.
Old 26 May 2007, 10:42 PM
Pav
Scooby Regular

got a 5th gen ipod(dropped my old one!! ) so no worries with that

Just got standard scoob issue speakers...what do u guys recommend?
Old 27 May 2007, 11:38 AM
scoobylee77
Scooby Newbie

I fancy one of these too but i own a 2nd gen ipod nano do i need the extra lead for it to work?

Thanks Lee
Old 27 May 2007, 03:38 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

I've had my X001 for 6 weeks or so (although not had my car for the last few).
Originally Posted by SC008Y_MAD
I read in last months Jap Performance mag that this Hu only support the latest of video ipod mp4 players, not the earlier models.
It does work with other models, you just need an extra lead. Using another lead will mean using the iPod's DAC, and the connection speed will not be as fast.

It works best with 5th gen, or nano 2nd gen.
Originally Posted by scoobylee77
I fancy one of these too but i own a 2nd gen ipod nano do i need the extra lead for it to work?
I don't think so, you should be able to connect with the supplied USB cable.

It is easy and faster to search for songs than anything else I tried (other Alpines & Kenwoods). The sound quality is good. It uses its own internal 24 bit DAC, instead of the rubbish DAC you get with the iPod.
Originally Posted by SVVG
Looking at some JL Audio stuff - but looks like I'm going to have to spend about £400 for anything decent?
You won't need to spend that much for decent front speakers. I've bought the Blaupunkt Velocity kit (100rms amp, and component speakers) on sale for £120. The output is no doubt exaggerated, but they're still good. Without going for an amp, some Alpine speakers would be good. Go for 16.5cm components, and get the vauxhall corsa plastic brackets to make fitting easy.
Old 26 June 2007, 11:54 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Just saw this model in the flesh now at Halfords (£300- saw it for £230 online elsewhere), looks great. Would I need an extra lead for my 2nd generatoin 8GB nano? Will it be a full speed connection with my iPod?
Old 28 June 2007, 01:44 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

If you want to use this Headunit with your 2nd generation nano iPod you will need an extra cable for around £15 and you will have full speed connection.
Old 29 June 2007, 09:23 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by COLZO
If you want to use this Headunit with your 2nd generation nano iPod you will need an extra cable for around £15 and you will have full speed connection.
'Full speed connection' is misleading. The old models were advertised as full speed, but they were nothing like the digital connection used by the x001. And the x001 is supposed to connect to the ipod nano 2 via usb, with no need for another cable. Is that not the case?
Old 04 July 2007, 12:30 AM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Triggaaar
'Full speed connection' is misleading. The old models were advertised as full speed, but they were nothing like the digital connection used by the x001. And the x001 is supposed to connect to the ipod nano 2 via usb, with no need for another cable. Is that not the case?
Sent a few emails and the replies I got were that I would need an extra cable for my 2nd generation iPod. Thought this was odd myself! If anyone has this HU connected to a 2nd generation nano any info would be appreciated.