Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

On my WRX, which is worse, head-unit or speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2001, 05:38 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've not really bothered with improving the stereo in my WRX because i've not had the money to do so, but i'm now looking to make some upgrades .
I don't generally bother to use it as the sound is so grim, so i'm wondering if i'll get a worthwhile improvement if i change the speakers?
The head-unit is the factory fitted double DIN Kenwood thing, and i'd assume if it's got Kenwood's name on it, it would be half decent.

Anybody got any advice where my money would be best spent? Thanks.

Terry
Old 23 May 2001, 08:13 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Car Electronics are good, but as you're in Essex you may want somewhere more local - decibels in Billericay is trusted by a friend of mine... Alternatively shop online (caraudiodirect.com, edworthys.co.uk, ...)

Anyhow, back to the question!

I don't know the quality of the standard head unit in the MY01, but some think it dwells in the "pants" category.

Still, I'd be tempted to do speakers first...

What sort of music do you like (in yer face our exceptionally laid back) and what's the budget for just speakers? For 100 quid, the Infinity range gets good reviews, or be different and try JBL or another 6" speaker?

Nick.
Old 23 May 2001, 12:07 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Hi,

There is a good shop in Leicester called 'Car Electronics' and they do really good prices on new headunits, speakers, amps etc. It might be worth getting a new headunit, I got a good deal on the Kenwood KDC-PC9590R from Car Electronics. They have a website...
Old 23 May 2001, 01:22 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by chiark:
<B> I don't know the quality of the standard head unit in the MY01, but some think it dwells in the "pants" category.

Still, I'd be tempted to do speakers first...

[/quote]

believe me the quality of the standard fit stereo in the my01 wrx is lower than a rattlesnakes belly. absolute pants. was gonna swap mine for a nice alpine and change the door speakers and put a sub box in but as the car has to go back in 2 weeks (sorry chiark !!) due to a new job then its all off !

dave

[oops crpa sppoolung]

[This message has been edited by druddle (edited 23 May 2001).]
Old 24 May 2001, 03:33 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for replies all

I should have said, it's a 97, so i don't know how the head-unit compares to a MY01 one.
Seems strange that Kenwood would allow their name to be associated with crappy quality though, as i thought their stuff was halfway decent.

Nick - rock music mainly, when it isn't nursery rhymes for my daughter !

Budget-wise, i'd spend 250-300 on speakers if that's what it took to actually want to use it. I use Clif Design in my Golf, and they seem pretty good.
Haven't heards of Focal or Diamond Mattski, but i'll check those out too.
And i'll give decibels in Billericay a call - i'm happy to hear recommendations of places where the idiot behind the counter isn't chewing a matchstick and making you feel like you're not worthy of his time, like in Southend

Terry
Old 24 May 2001, 08:15 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I use CD Technology stuff and like it - formerly, and occasionally in this country - known as Clif Designs...