Help with speaker trouble!

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2007, 07:24 PM
Scooby7
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with speaker trouble!

Hi there

was wondering if anyone can shed any light or ideas on a problem im currently having.

I have a MY99 turbo now i fitted my stereo system in it about 2 years back now so been in there fair while, I have:

2X 12" Kicker subs
2X Front Kicker Component speakers
1 Farad Power Cap
Alpine MP3 headunit
Huge kicker amp to power subs and another smaller kicker amp to power components.

Anyway to get to the problem the passenger speaker volume keeps changing I thought it might be a dodgy RCA connection at first but surely the speaker would cut right off?

The volume goes anywhere from 1/3 to 1/10 then back up to full volume again one min be fine then suddenly goes again and its really annoying as almost fully relies on the driver speaker then which works fine all the time.

Any ideas what this could be thats causing it at all is the speaker on the way out myabe or has anyone had a similar problem

Appreciate any help

Cheers
Leslie
Old 12 March 2007, 11:11 PM
Masami
Scooby Regular

My guess would be a speaker problem, try swapping them around between right and left.
Old 13 March 2007, 06:00 PM
Scooby7
Scooby Regular

Cheers yeah i think im gonna have to do thr total trial and error to see what it might be just very time consuming, still think i would rather do it than pay a car stereo company to look at it

Originally Posted by Masami
My guess would be a speaker problem, try swapping them around between right and left.
Old 14 March 2007, 01:25 AM
type36lotus
Scooby Regular

Not knowing how your speakers are connected to your amp, but if you have individual plugs swap them left to right. If the problem moves it's the output, if it stays it's the speaker.

Mike
Old 14 March 2007, 08:36 AM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Do the same thing with the RCA plugs on the amp too (probably first as it's easier)
Old 14 March 2007, 01:17 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

The only times I've encountered something similar it's been the wiring. Check the RCAs, the centre conductor may be split/broken or intermittently contacting.

Personally, I'd swap RCAs at the amp end and see if the problem switches sides.

HTH

J.
Old 20 March 2007, 03:05 AM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

check that the speaker terminals are not catching on the metal work of the doors and shorting out. Also make sure they have a good connection to the speaker terminal and aren't wet or corroded before you start playing with the other wires

Dave
Old 25 March 2007, 03:33 PM
Scooby7
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all the advise hardly had time to look at the problem since but I have swapped the RCA leads over from right to left to try that and still the passenger speaker is quieter most of the time to the drivers.

So this should mean that its not the RCA lead and its not the amp right?

All thats left must then be the speaker wire from amp to speaker and the speaker itself ie. blown or bad connection.

Will need to take the door card off next and look into it.

I dont run back speakers as have to 12" kicker subs running in the boot and leave the holes empty to let more bass out does many other people use this method or do you run back speakers as well?

Cheers

Leslie
Old 25 March 2007, 04:14 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Swopping the RCAs only proves it's not the RCAs.

To rule out the amp, swop the loudspeaker cables at the amp side of things; if the problem persists on the same side then it's not the amp.
Old 25 March 2007, 05:14 PM
Big_Dan531
Scooby Regular

try powerign ur subs off ur small amp if it does the same thing then u know its nothing to do with the speakers or the wireing to the speakers
Old 25 March 2007, 05:33 PM
scooby276blue
Scooby Regular

you will get the same sound if there is speakers in the back as if they wasn't there, speaker prob i would remove the speaker and try using another speaker in there, i use 7 1/2 inc ground zero speakers on the rear shelf, which are great, if you use rear speakers turn them down using the fadern on your head unit and it'll sound great
Old 02 April 2007, 12:13 AM
Scooby7
Scooby Regular

Well finally found the problem today of why my speaker has been playing up and its not really what i had hoped for.

Its a iffy gain pot on the Kicker KX150.2 amp thats powering the front speakers i have turned the gain up a little pushed all the circtuit clips to make sure connected right and for now the speaker is fully back and working fine.

I need to turn gain back down a little as they are drowning out the subs and far too loud but hopefully still work ok once done.

So thanks for all the comments and help with this one and fingers crossed it stays working