ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

INFINITY KAPPA 06STI

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2007, 09:37 PM
Joggerboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default INFINITY KAPPA 06STI

Had fitted some Infinity referenece 6000 cs in my last 03 WRX and really rated them!

Can't seem to find these any more so I'm assuming they have been replaced?

Looking at some Infinity Kappa 65.7 cs 16.5 cm 2 way components.

Will these fit with the usual MDF spacer in an 06 STI?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11 March 2007, 11:31 PM
Joggerboy
Scooby Regular

Anybody?
Old 12 March 2007, 04:33 PM
Masami
Scooby Regular

The 6000 series certainly do seem to have dissapeared off the face of the earth, I have read the kappa has slightly bigger magnets and also the integrated tweeter protrudes the front so its going to be a struggle to get them in (if at all possible). No-one seems to have fitted currently available aftermarket speakers in an 06/07 as I have been looking into this for a few days myself (having bought the sound proofing and fitted the headunit) I am just sitting waiting for someone to say yes xxxxxxx works great and fits fine!.
Old 13 March 2007, 02:05 AM
renny
Scooby Regular

I too would like to know the answer to this question,have uprated the head unit and desperately want to do the same with the speakers.....

I've emailed various ICE installers without a response.
Old 13 March 2007, 03:27 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about the door cards on the 06 model but I fitted Infinity 6510cs to the front and 5012i to the rear of my 05 WRX. Used IA Performance spacers in the front fitted no bother. Used IA Performance spacers on the back but the directional tweeter on the 5012 did hit the door card so had to space it slightly away from the door using the extension pins with the spacers. You cant tell the door card is spaced awy from the door as its only a matter of 2-3mm.
Old 13 March 2007, 04:40 PM
Masami
Scooby Regular

I've ordered a set of 6510cs on ebay for £45 + postage, thanks for the advice.
Old 17 March 2007, 07:20 PM
Masami
Scooby Regular

Fitted one today in MY06, was a real pain.. 12mm mdf on top of dynamat just clears the window stopper. Also there was no tweeter fitted already and no real place to mount one, so I had to use strong double sided padded up to allow it to sit striaght on the contour of the door panel. Took nr 5 hours to fit one and prepare the other ready for finsihing the job off tomororw.
Old 18 March 2007, 10:12 AM
Masami
Scooby Regular

Did drivers side this morning, there is even less clearance to the window / guide rail , I would advise at least a 15mm spacer the door cards just barely pops back on and I get the feeling it will probably pop out now and again... really I think the 6510cs are about 4mm to wide for a my06 / my07. Look elsewhere for a more appropriate speaker.
Old 18 March 2007, 02:37 PM
Joggerboy
Scooby Regular

You must have been up early this morning Masami if you finished it for 9am!

I've ordered some Infinity Kappa 60.7cs 16cm 2 way comps for £68.

They are about £200 from halfrauds!

Hopefully should arrive tomorrow along with the new headunit (Kenwood KDC-PSW9531).

I'll be putting my infinity bass link back in for good measure!

Anybody got any good or bad experiences with the above kit?
Old 19 March 2007, 04:50 PM
Masami
Scooby Regular

Good luck to you! Let me know how you get on.
Old 19 March 2007, 05:58 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

Let us all know how you get on - i just want to leave my car with someone and pick it up later in the day with a nice sounding system in - not tooooo much to ask is it ?
Old 24 March 2007, 12:09 AM
mik
Scooby Regular

Well I just got round to taking a day off for speaker fitting today (to MY06 wagon) ..... Santa got me some 6510cs for the front and 5012i for the rear, so it's long overdue!

Rears went in without too much fuss. Just had to drill a couple of holes.

Fronts ~ Following advice based on MY03, I used 12mm MDF to make up a spacer for ze woofer. As has been mentioned above - that alone ain't enough - the window hits the speaker as it comes down. 18mm would be too big though, so I'll need to space it out another 2-3mm with "something else".
On the upside, I was very happy with tweeter placement using stick-on velcro to mount it on the frame of the original tweeter.

Sonic summary - they certainly sound better than the "plastic cups & string" of the OEM speakers, but with the std head unit they're a long way from "Hi-Fi".
Old 26 March 2007, 08:12 AM
mik
Scooby Regular

Quick update - passengers door speaker now spaced out approx 4mm further ~ clears the window, but 1-off door card popper no longer.....erm .... pops.

Ran out of time to do drivers side, but anticipate the same thing.
Old 26 March 2007, 12:57 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

When I fitted my 6510cs I used the standard subaru tweeter brackets and one of the infinity tweeter cup hoders. The cup holder screwed onto the subaru tweeter bracket using a single screw/bolt with the tweeter fitting into the cup holder which reqd a twist of the tweeter to lock it in the cup. The screw/bolt holding the tweeter cup has to have a countersunk head or the tweeter will not locate in the cup, I didnt have a countersunk screw/bolt so filed the head of a screw/bolt so that when fitted it sat flush with the countersink on the cup. I did have to open the mounting hole on the tweeter bracket up slightly but it all fitted perfect dont see what everyone seems to have a problem with when mounting the tweeter. I used IAP speaker adapters and had no problems with clearance but the front IAP brackets are definately wider than 12mm probably nearer 15mm. Masami did you cut flush the prodruding ring on the inside of the door card around the speaker grill it can foul and couse vibration if you dont. The IAP speaker adapters also come with longer panel clips which allow the door cards to be spaced a few mm out to accomodate the larger speakers. I didnt need them in the front but did in the back. The door card is spaced about 3-4mm out but you cannot tell. I would recommend the IAP speaker brackets it saves so much time and hassle and gives a professional looking instal.
WRX Complete Adapter Kit Subaru Impreza 02-06, Forester 99+, Saab 05+ IA Performance

Last edited by Arch; 26 March 2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 26 March 2007, 10:02 PM
mik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arch
I would recommend the IAP speaker brackets it saves so much time and hassle and gives a professional looking instal.
And in retrospect I'm happy to admit I should have done the same. Would have saved much f4nnying around with MDF and other spacerybits I've now had to add. Not bothered how it looks though as it's all behind the door card.

Out of interest, did you go with the tweeters "flat" or on the -3db setting? I started with the former, but it was too bright..... so switched to the latter.
Old 27 March 2007, 07:11 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mik
And in retrospect I'm happy to admit I should have done the same. Would have saved much f4nnying around with MDF and other spacerybits I've now had to add. Not bothered how it looks though as it's all behind the door card.

Out of interest, did you go with the tweeters "flat" or on the -3db setting? I started with the former, but it was too bright..... so switched to the latter.
Tried them quickly on the 0db setting and like you say were too bright and went to -3db setting.
Old 11 April 2007, 12:03 AM
Joggerboy
Scooby Regular

Had the infinity kappa's fitted and they sound great!

The installer used the 12mm mdf and some speaker dynamat.

They fitted my infinity bass link at the same time.

What a great improvement!