Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Mini-Disc

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 1999, 03:49 PM
david
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you attach a multi-mini-disc player to the standard stereo in an STi V ?
Old 09 June 1999, 12:06 PM
JamesC
Scooby Newbie

Don't know if this is quite what you had in mind, but yo could get a portable mini disc player and connect it to your stereo using the tape player with one of those tape player adaption kits (Think Sony do one).

At least the minidisc player wont jump all the time like the portable CD players did.
Old 09 June 1999, 12:12 PM
JamesC
Scooby Newbie

Actually, it's not what you had in mind as you'r after a multi player (Didn't read it properly)...so I'm not sure...however, it was possible to link the first CD multiplayers through an FM band on the radio...might be a possibility.
Old 09 June 1999, 10:50 PM
Smiley
Scooby Newbie

Don't know the answer to your question I'm afraid, but I've just replaced the Phillips head unit with a Sony MD head unit, as I wasn't overly impressed with the original. Whilst I'm no ICE expert, I'm really pleased with the results - sound is really good, and as MDs are much easier to handle (and store)than CDs the need for a stacker isn't so great. I paid less than £200 for the head unit, and it was money well spent.
Old 14 June 1999, 11:44 AM
Timothy Leuers
Scooby Regular

I have a Mini Disc player in too but the spare box beneath it is just a little too small to fit two Mini Discs in side by side horizonatally. I wonder if there is a mini disc rack that would fit instead of the box.
Old 14 June 1999, 05:35 PM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

Where do you get the MD players? Being a recent convert to mini-disc, I'd like to fit one.

Thanks,
David
Old 14 June 1999, 06:46 PM
aziz
Scooby Regular

HI,

MD very interesting, first:
there is a Sony
MD player (changer) which you can control through a Sony head unit.

Second: Try Kenwood they have an MD changer
which is controlable by using an FM modulator that can be connected to ANY car
stereo system provided that your radio has
an FM band.

Three: There is a car audio brand known as
ADDZEST which makes yet another MD changer
(takes 6 MD's) which is also controlled through an FM modulator.......

SO there you have it, why use a portable
player with a cassette adapter when you can enjoy the benefits of continuous changer
playback or fit a single MD in dash player
when you can have 4 ,YES that is 4 sources of on road music in your car a car radio cassette which controls both an MD changer
AND a CD changer, the best of every source
at your finger tips..

HAPPY MOTORING
Old 16 June 1999, 01:37 PM
NIK
Scooby Newbie

Just fitted a JVC MDX3000R, 4x40W output Single CD or Minidisc loaded through the same aperture. Good thing is that the minidiscs are much more robust than CD's they don't seem to mind being chewed by the rugrats and generally manhandled. Just got a Sony Minidisc recorder so you can easily make your own compilations from CD or MP3 files....hope to meet some of you at the Northwest meet...Cheerio
Old 16 June 1999, 06:24 PM
AnthonyJ
Scooby Regular

I would be careful about using the tape adapters for too long. They are reputed to damage the tape heads with prolonged use. The FM technique is quite cool, but doesn't the sound quality suffer from dynamic range compression like FM radio broadcasts. If so, I can't really see the point myself.

Pioneer do a 6 disc MD player as well. Have you noticed how much more the Kenwood & Pioneer 6 disc changers are compared to the Sony?!? I wouldn't mind betting they all use a (probably the same) Sony transport!
Old 19 June 1999, 06:27 AM
aziz
Scooby Regular

SIR,

Noticed that as well , so it is a global
problem after all....

Around here (Kuwait) the sony MD unit costs
far less than any other MD changer brand .

Is it due to the fact that Sony is a big player and is therefore able to produce
in bulk quantities.... Still that is no
excuse for the rest to price their products
(or are they really) at such ridiculous
rates .

By the way : that JVC MDX3000R is interesting to say the least, but how can
it accept a CD or MD using the same opening ???

THANKS
Old 20 June 1999, 07:08 PM
Smiley
Scooby Newbie

David - My local Curry's is currently selling a Sony 7900r model for £180, or a Kenwood for £200 - the first with interest free credit, the second with free fitting.

Aziz - Sony invented the MD, so everyone else has to pay Sony to produce MD items, hence Sony are cheaper.
Old 20 June 1999, 07:40 PM
DavidP
Scooby Regular

One word of warning about Mini-disc. An awful lot of releases are not be available on this format and I would suspect that it will be some time before minidisc is fully available, if ever. So it's fine if you want to listen to Sony artists, but a bit dodgy for other acts.
Old 20 June 1999, 08:46 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Its not so much of a problem if you have a MD unit at home as well, you can put whatever artist you like on a blank MD, so these issues dont come into it

T|o answer the original question, I doubt very much an Addzest or whatever MD transport will be available soon, it may be better to change the whole thing.

The JVC can accept both CD and MD as has been mentioned, one side of the cd slot is larger to take the MD.
Old 21 June 1999, 05:18 PM
boltona
Scooby Regular

Both Pioneer and Kenwood top end heads can daisy-chain changers. Can take 2 CD or CD/MD or 2 MD changers. I've got a KDC-PS9070R head that can do this but its quite pricy and the Kenwood MD changer is fairly expensive too. Might consider it later though, but no MD recording capability yet so not for a while.

To answer aziz, the JVC thing uses the same slot, but it is thicker over the width of an MD on one side - the CD goes in the middle, and you can put an MD in the same slot (not at the same time though but it presumably uses a different drive motor and reader (but could be wrong). Seen it in Otway's car. Nifty

Andrew
Old 09 August 1999, 01:30 PM
Giles.Guthrie
Scooby Regular

I have the Sony MDXC7900 MiniDisc head unit in my car. Great sound, like it lots. Unfortunately, after 7 months, the transport gave up the ghost and had to be replaced. I had bought the unit from Ray Smith Car Hi-Fi in Edinburgh, and had GREAT DIFFICULTY getting after sales support worth a damn. Fixed now though.

Regarding the availability of media, I wanted to record my own discs. The in-dash players are on a par for price, but a minidisc recorder is much cheaper than a CD recorder, and the media is more robust.
Old 09 August 1999, 05:53 PM
Imran
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I love MiniDisc, out of all the people I know, I was one of the first ones interested in it, and everyone else thought I was mad!

I bought a recorder and managed to source excellently priced blanks, now, most of my favourite songs from all my CD albums have been copied over to MD, and that way my CD's don't get thrown around and remain as 'masters' if you like.

It's so robust, and so damn flexible! I have the JVC CD/MD combo, paid £380 for it when it first came out, and haven't looked back since. I also have the early version of the Sony 7900, not bad, but not a touch on the JVC.

I can see why it's taken-off big time now, you can buy the excellent Sony MDJ-520 home deck recorder for £140, and a good Sony MD Walkman for £100!

Old 09 August 1999, 10:30 PM
yee_har
Scooby Regular

Giles - sorry to hear that about Ray Smith.
We aren't exactly swamped with dealers (good or otherwise!) here north of the border so that is a shame. Was the attitude because you fitted it yourself or just rank bad service?
I dislike the way they leap on you the minute you walk through the door and when it's obvious that you want to browse the display before possibly needing assistance.
Old 10 August 1999, 11:01 AM
Giles.Guthrie
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I didn't have a problem with Ray Smith's sales service because I knew what I wanted and had made enquiries over the phone. They fitted it for me, as I had neither the tools nor the expertise to do it myself. They charged £15 for a head unit swap, which I thought was a bit steep, especially as they made no offer to fit the Remote Commander (I have since done this myself).

The main problem with them was that they took the unit for repair, kept it for two weeks and then returned it unrepaired. They took it again, and when I phoned to ask if it was ready, they said it was, then retracted the statement after I asked again to verify. All the time they treated me shabbily and tried to brush me off. Speaking to an ex member of staff there only confirmed my impression that they're a bunch of chancers who don't want to see you again after they've got your money.

All my opinion, of course
Old 10 August 1999, 07:07 PM
yee_har
Scooby Regular

Jeez - enough to make you sick eh? Just like those exposes (er...French pronunciation!) where bike/car mags take a vehicle with 20-odd faults and service issues to a selection of dealers and most of the the main dealers only spot/rectify 4 or 5 whilst the independents find 18/19!
Use the buggers for supplies and then DIY seems the best way if possible.

FYI - there's a "family" dealership in Perth (Car Radio Services) who I've heard nothing but good about recently.