2 opposite speakers stopped working?

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2001, 07:04 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi peeps,

Knowing you all for the clever types you are maybe someone could assist me in working out a problem.

Today I switched on my head unit (one of those Pioneer DEH-P8000R things with the OEL display) and noticed something wrong with the stereo imaging. Playing with the fader showed that the front left and rear right speaker have both stopped working. No amount of tweaking with settings seemed to rectify the fault. I've also checked and reseated all the standard ISO connections on the back without joy.

Any simple reason why this has happened? All was fine before holiday but car has been in freezing cold carpark for several days. I'm obviously fearing the worst and the head unit has gone (out of guarantee of course) but any other ideas appreciated.

Also if the head unit amplification is duff then would using external amps work?

Thanks in advance
Joolz
Old 10 December 2001, 08:33 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put a sensitive AC voltmeter across the speaker terminal and see if you get anything. If you do this also to the back of the headunit and get nothing then at least the "power" amps of the headunit are suspect. If it is an earlier stage in the headunit, then the RCA outputs may not work either. Try another headunit in you slot if you can.
Old 11 December 2001, 09:56 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks John,

I'll try and grab a voltmeter and 'a man who can' from somewhere and give your suggestions a try. I tried my old Clarion head unit in there last night but unfortunately it seems to be totally dead. Will check the fuses on that one tonight.

cheers
Joolz