ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Advice needed on 6x9 fitting

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2007, 05:09 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed on 6x9 fitting

I recently bought a new car, my05 sti, and got the deal with the dealer that they fit in the back my 6x9 Infinity speakers.
Today I went to give them the speakers, but the mechanic told me that he can't fit these speakers as they are too wide and then the boot can't be closed. Is this right ? I thought that they can be fitted, I have even cut out some mdf spacers for the nice Infinities. The mechanic adviced me to get some other 6x9's which are thinner.
Can anybody recommend me other speakers ?

Cheers,
B.
Old 15 January 2007, 11:25 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I spent yesterday fitting a pair of Genesis 6x9 subs to the rear of my MY05 JDM STi. Very pleased I am too

They fit underneath the rear metal shelf (i.e. in the boot), but only if you use MDF spacers - I could not see a way of getting these to fit on top of the shelf at all without making a complete new parcel shelf.

You have to cut holes in the parcel shelf of course (mine already had 6"-ish holes from the previously fitted 5.25" JL Audio speakers, and I re-used these but with the Genesis grilles)

If you do a search on here you'll find details from a number of folk on how to fit them, either from below like I did, or on a custom made shelf.
Old 19 January 2007, 06:35 PM
jollycam
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by maci
I recently bought a new car, my05 sti, and got the deal with the dealer that they fit in the back my 6x9 Infinity speakers.
Today I went to give them the speakers, but the mechanic told me that he can't fit these speakers as they are too wide and then the boot can't be closed. Is this right ? I thought that they can be fitted, I have even cut out some mdf spacers for the nice Infinities. The mechanic adviced me to get some other 6x9's which are thinner.
Can anybody recommend me other speakers ?

Cheers,
B.
I can't recomend speakers but there are some good 'parcelshelves' out there that can accomodate 6x9's without too much trouble. Just have a look around.
Old 20 January 2007, 03:56 AM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

take it somewhere else like an audio shop, get their advice and then go back and tell the dealer what they said or get the audio shop to do it for you.

Any speaker will fit anywhere in any car

Trust me.......I know
Old 20 January 2007, 10:19 AM
maci
Scooby Regular

Thx, for the replys.
I actually did what you suggested above Independent car-audiio installer advised me to forget the 6x9's and put better quality speakers in the rear door. So that is exactly what I did. (Then if the bass is not enough for me, he adviced to get an amp and sub in the back - but I didn't do that-too expensive for the moment-, not even sure if I can connect an amp to the stadard ICE)

I just picked up the car yesterday evening and the sound seems to be good enough for me. Although I must say I was more focused on driving and listend only a bit, but I'll run a few more tests today

Front speakers gonna be replaced by me, with the one I had in previous car(infinity 6500).
Old 20 January 2007, 11:56 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Scooby51 - i'm glad you said that. I need a hand fitting these

Old 20 January 2007, 05:13 PM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

no problem mate do you want them in the dash or in the glove box
Old 20 January 2007, 05:16 PM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

maci, you can connect an amp to the standard ice...

all you need is a high level input on the amp and the connectors that go with it. The original speaker wires will go in one side of the amp and connect on the other with the additional power. Simple.

Dave
Old 20 January 2007, 10:48 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby51
maci, you can connect an amp to the standard ice...

all you need is a high level input on the amp and the connectors that go with it. The original speaker wires will go in one side of the amp and connect on the other with the additional power. Simple.

Dave
Does it mean I can use the 4 speakers in the door and get another output from the ice to a potential amp & sub, or I disconnect 2 speakers, I use 1 set of wires to the input of the amp, than connect the speakers and possibly sub to the amp ?

Btw, drove my sti quite a bit today and started using the radio too, obviously the front still original speakers a crap, the rear ones, which were just fitted are way much better, but I can't hear them in the front, so I think I'll fit my Infinities in the front very soon
Old 21 January 2007, 01:19 PM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

you can link amps when they are installed but it may be a bit tricky. Just depends on what you want them for.

You can use the amp to power a sub and two speakers or (if you are careful and check the ratings) you may be able to run a sub and four speakers!!!!!!
BUT you would only have left and right fade NOT front and back, which may be a reason you cant hear your new speakers.
Have a play with the fader an your stereo and adjust it with a slight bias for the rear!!!!!!!!!!