Annoying parking break thingy!

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2006, 03:31 PM
Dannybwoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying parking break thingy!

Hi

I just bought a dvd head unit and it has one of those parking break sensors which wont allow me to veiw the pictures on the screen without connecting this up.

Anyone know how to bypass this?

I have a wire labelled 'Parking Break' which is supposed to attach my hand break lever, but i dont want to do that. I want to be able to watch the screen on the move.

Help please.

Cheers

Dan
Old 27 December 2006, 03:39 PM
AJF
Scooby Regular

put the wire to earth

Adrian
Old 27 December 2006, 03:43 PM
Dannybwoy
Scooby Regular

Sorry, me and electrics are not the best of freinds.

Do you mean just find a peice of metal on the body work and attach the wire to that?

Will there be a suitable peice of metal in the compartment where the stereo goes?

i know i probably sound as thick as pig ****, but as far as auto electrics go, or any electrics for that matter, i am crap.

(btw, when i said i wanted to watch the screen on the move, i didnt mean ME watch the screen, cos that would be silly, i meant passengers)

Cheers
Old 27 December 2006, 03:49 PM
Woody1
Scooby Regular

Connect the green (mines green - I think its standard) parking brake wire to the bracket that supports the head unit as this should be earthed (mine has an earth wire connected to it). I had the same problem.

Neil
Old 27 December 2006, 03:54 PM
Dannybwoy
Scooby Regular

Marvellous!

Thanks for that guys.

Bit dark out now, so i think i will have a crack at this tomorrow.

Old 27 December 2006, 04:47 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

dan

just connect the parking wire of the dvd unit to the earth wire on the rear of the stereo wiring loom,this will allow you to use the screen whilst the handbrake is off,not that i condone watching a film and driving at the same time,its a bit risky
Old 28 December 2006, 09:27 AM
Dannybwoy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mark

I will tackle this today if i get chance, or tomorrow.
Old 28 December 2006, 10:58 AM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Remember it is illegal to have a video playing in the driver's view if the handbrake is not on. I bought a latching push button from Maplin and put it in one of the unused switch blanking plates by the handbrake so I could switch the video on/off when I wanted to.
Old 28 December 2006, 11:08 AM
Dannybwoy
Scooby Regular

Yeah, i know about the legality issues.

How did you do that with the button? Was it just a case of if you saw plod, you flick a switch and the screen blanks?

Sounds like a good idea. Was it tricky to fit?
Old 28 December 2006, 07:10 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dannybwoy

How did you do that with the button? Was it just a case of if you saw plod, you flick a switch and the screen blanks?

Sounds like a good idea. Was it tricky to fit?

its called the "off button " dude
Old 28 December 2006, 07:17 PM
Andygreer
Scooby Regular

He will of wired it to the switch then to the earth so that if he presses the switch it breaks the earth, Fitted one of these my self i just soldered the wire to the earth part of the loom.

Andy
Old 29 December 2006, 01:41 PM
Dannybwoy
Scooby Regular

sorted now

thanks
Old 30 December 2006, 12:19 AM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

btw is this one of them Nikkai DVD car stereo thingy jobs. They look ever so smart but are they any good i.e. is the picture quality any good
Old 31 December 2006, 11:19 AM
Dannybwoy
Scooby Regular

Nope, JVC.

I decided to go for a well known brand name, even if it meant paying that little bit more.
Old 31 December 2006, 11:56 AM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Nope, JVC.

I decided to go for a well known brand name, even if it meant paying that little bit more.
got any pics of the one you have, and if you dontm ind me asking, how much did you pay for yours
Old 31 December 2006, 12:57 PM
JohnHamer1977
Scooby Regular

do you actually watch a film while driving?
sounds idiotic to me that unless your using it for gps or something
Old 31 December 2006, 01:37 PM
Dannybwoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnHamer1977
do you actually watch a film while driving?
sounds idiotic to me that unless your using it for gps or something

(btw, when i said i wanted to watch the screen on the move, i didnt mean ME watch the screen, cos that would be silly, i meant passengers)

Cheers

Erm, can you actually read?

I CLEARLY stated in my first couple of posts that I DONT WATCH THE SCREEN WHILE DRIVING! IT IS FOR PASSENGERS!!!! (namely my 8 year old son!)

Yes, watching a DVD screen while driving is about the stupidist thing you can do, but not far behind it is putting a reply to a thread without ACTUALLY READING IT FIRST!!!!

Dan

Last edited by Dannybwoy; 31 December 2006 at 01:39 PM.
Old 31 December 2006, 02:16 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Erm, can you actually read?

I CLEARLY stated in my first couple of posts that I DONT WATCH THE SCREEN WHILE DRIVING! IT IS FOR PASSENGERS!!!! (namely my 8 year old son!)

Yes, watching a DVD screen while driving is about the stupidist thing you can do, but not far behind it is putting a reply to a thread without ACTUALLY READING IT FIRST!!!!

Dan
good reply
Old 31 December 2006, 03:41 PM
JohnHamer1977
Scooby Regular

No, I don't need to re-read.
Actually replying to my post like that is the stupidist thing you can so if you choose to not see the risk of distraction while your driving.

STILL sounds idiotic to me.
Your playing a film in the front of the car while driving = idiot.

The legalities are there for a reason.
The handbrake wire is there for a reason.
It's obviously not only me who thinks what your doing is idiotic.

I have 2 kids... I hope you don't crash into us while your trying to ignore the film your playing in the front of your car whilst driving at the same time.
Old 31 December 2006, 03:44 PM
JohnHamer1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kilo_4que
good reply
thats your contribution?
Old 31 December 2006, 04:34 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Brake and piece not break and peice
Old 31 December 2006, 06:11 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

thats your contribution?
yes it was, and your point is ???

stop being a sore loser, admit you looked like an *** by posting in a thread without even reading it first

Old 31 December 2006, 11:16 PM
JohnHamer1977
Scooby Regular

no son
I made it clear what my point was from my 1st post that has not changed

thus it is you who looks like said ***, for chirping in with your intellectual "good reply" which is a inernet rebound post count upper type response

if you bring nothing on-topic to the debate, then consider if you should refrain from posting
Old 01 January 2007, 12:33 AM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

no son

thus it is you who looks like said ***, for chirping in with your intellectual "good reply" which is a inernet rebound post count upper type response

if you bring nothing on-topic to the debate, then consider if you should refrain from posting
well knuckle head, look back and you may realise that prior to my reply which cheesed you off I was involved in the thread more relevant to the ACTUAL topic itself. So it wasnt some "out of the blue" indirect reply to you, it was a polite way of saying shut the **** up and leave the thread.
Old 01 January 2007, 10:19 AM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

no son

Im sorry
But when did this thread become a debate ???????????

Dan(the thread starter)asked a straight forward question regarding wiring a dvd unit into his classic,i know dan and he aint the sort of bloke that drives around watching a film whilst in motion,so get off your high horse and trying to cause a "debate" about something you know nothing about my friend

Also,if the thread starter wishe's to add a "REAR" roof mount or "rear" headrest mounted monitor to his dvd player,he will need to lose the hand brake sensor to let his young son watch a film in the "REAR" of his classic,other wise the "REAR" screen will display a no signal message

Also i believe the jvc unit he has fitted has a tilt feature on the screen to ajust the viewing angle,thus allowing him to tilt the screen toward the front seat "PASSENGER"!

hope i have answered some of your concerns on this matter on behalf of dan,as i believe he will still be in bed getting over his "IDIOTIC BEHAVOUR" from new years eve

regards and happy new year mark(i have an heads up display,so i dont have to take my eyes off the road to check my speed )
Old 01 January 2007, 11:19 AM
Dannybwoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kilo_4que
got any pics of the one you have, and if you dontm ind me asking, how much did you pay for yours

Hi Mate

I will take a few piccies and put them on here when i figure out how to send pictures across to the pc from my new phone

Until then, the model number is JVC KD AVX2 if you wanna have a look, its a smart looking unit, piano black finish.

Cheers

Dan (making sure to type without looking away from the screen in case i have an accident ooh err! lol)
Old 01 January 2007, 04:28 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate

I will take a few piccies and put them on here when i figure out how to send pictures across to the pc from my new phone

Until then, the model number is JVC KD AVX2 if you wanna have a look, its a smart looking unit, piano black finish.

Cheers

Dan (making sure to type without looking away from the screen in case i have an accident ooh err! lol)
thanks a lot for that Danny. Ive checked on google looks very nice indeed. I guess the Nikkai one i was referring to was an attempted copy to this one as it has a similar finish just the screen is more on the right hand side o and not to mention it has lots of blue neon everywhere lol. But of course you pay for quality
Old 01 January 2007, 04:54 PM
JohnHamer1977
Scooby Regular

ethanrob - to answer your post

it became a debate when YOU said:
"not that i condone watching a film and driving at the same time,its a bit risky"
and GaryCat said:
"Remember it is illegal to have a video playing in the driver's view if the handbrake is not on"
and I said:
"do you actually watch a film while driving?
sounds idiotic to me that unless your using it for gps or something"
then Danny said:
"I CLEARLY stated in my first couple of posts that I DONT WATCH THE SCREEN WHILE DRIVING! IT IS FOR PASSENGERS!!!!"

people agreeing, raising valid points, and people disagreeing is caled a debate IMHO.

If it's for the rear... then I would have though Danny would have said this in his reply... in which case I would have said, OK fair enough.

But if it's in the front... I agree with the law and equipment built-in safety design.
I would however be in agreeance with over-riding the safety switches if the screen was to be used in the front for GPS etc as I originally said.

To be honest, I am saying nothing that most people IMO and the law wouldn't agree with and the very same reason manufactures build in the switches.
Watching films as I asked about in the front/drivers veiw is a distraction to the driver even if the driver is trying not to physically watch.
Old 01 January 2007, 09:46 PM
Dannybwoy
Scooby Regular

ethanrob - to answer your post

it became a debate when YOU said:
"not that i condone watching a film and driving at the same time,its a bit risky"
and GaryCat said:
"Remember it is illegal to have a video playing in the driver's view if the handbrake is not on"
and I said:
"do you actually watch a film while driving?
sounds idiotic to me that unless your using it for gps or something"
then Danny said:
"I CLEARLY stated in my first couple of posts that I DONT WATCH THE SCREEN WHILE DRIVING! IT IS FOR PASSENGERS!!!!"

people agreeing, raising valid points, and people disagreeing is caled a debate IMHO.

If it's for the rear... then I would have though Danny would have said this in his reply... in which case I would have said, OK fair enough.

But if it's in the front... I agree with the law and equipment built-in safety design.
I would however be in agreeance with over-riding the safety switches if the screen was to be used in the front for GPS etc as I originally said.

To be honest, I am saying nothing that most people IMO and the law wouldn't agree with and the very same reason manufactures build in the switches.
Watching films as I asked about in the front/drivers veiw is a distraction to the driver even if the driver is trying not to physically watch.
Mark, Who is this joker?

Anyway, i am getting bored of him now.

The thread can stop now really cos i have sorted the problem and dont need any more advice.

Kilo, i will PM you some pics when i get them.

See you on the 8th Mark

Dan
Old 01 January 2007, 10:41 PM
JohnHamer1977
Scooby Regular

did reply but I can see I am not going to appeal to your morals
so edited my comments out as carrying on with stooping to your levels of name calling back and forth is rather immature.
enjoy your distractions while driving, lets hope you don't hit anybody

happy new years to all

Last edited by JohnHamer1977; 01 January 2007 at 11:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Annoying parking break thingy!