ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

DAB Help

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2006, 10:54 AM
936ADL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DAB Help

I've recently become hooked by the whole DAB thing, and i want to sort out a painless way of installing it in the car.

A new headunit is out of the question as my current installation owes me too much. What other options are out there?

I've seen the REVO solution, has anyone else out there gone down ths route?

Are there any other options worth looking at?

Thanks in advance
Old 12 October 2006, 07:27 PM
RobP
Scooby Regular

What head unit do you have??

Many of the manufacturers do add on units that interface via CD multichanger plug..

I've got the pioneer one which is hidden away behind the dash.

The only thing I would say is to make sure you budget for an aerial as well as the DAB unit

Rob
Old 13 October 2006, 12:32 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

I've got a Revo unit in my car connected up to an Alpine unit. What do you want to know?

Andy.
Old 16 October 2006, 11:47 AM
936ADL
Scooby Regular

Andy,

It sounds like you may well be the person to talk to. I'm also running an Alpine headunit.

I've had a look at the REVO unit on a couple of occasions, and it looks like the best bet.

How have you got yours connected up to your headunit?
And what did you do regarding an aerial?

Are you happy with its performance?

Cheers,

Andy
Old 16 October 2006, 12:26 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

I've mounted the cradle thing above the drivers side circular air vent which you need to make sure you can still take it off and fit back again OK before sticking it down permanantly. My aerial is the L shaped thing that comes in the box and is stuck to the rear window rather than the front as it says you can do in the install guide. Cable runs down the side of the car under the sill plate area and up into the side of the cradle. My mate had one fitted by an installer and he took the cable over the top under the roof lining. I didn't use the modulater. What's the point of DAB if you use a modulator? My Alpine unit has AUX input so depending on what one you have you may need an adaptor to convert from AiNet into RCA sockets and then enable AUX as a source.

You need to connect the red power lead to a switched feed and not permanant live and I used the bolt that holds the fuel flap/boot release mechanism down as an earthing point. Reception is not 100% reliable. I get some break up of signal which at least the Revo tells you whats going on. I mostly use it for Virgin Radio, Core rather than my boring local crap. Clearly it would be better with external aerial but I have not bothered at this stage. Revo is now 99 quid direct from Revo In-car DAB Digital Radio and Revo Pico.

Anything else?

Andy.
Old 17 October 2006, 01:37 PM
936ADL
Scooby Regular

Andy,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a neat set up.

Halfords have got these in at the moment for £79.99, but my local branch hasn't got any in stock. The lad in there told me that the unit was showing as a discontinued line on their system, and that he suspected that a new version was going to be released soon.

There's no info on the REVO website, so i'm a bit baffled.

I don't want to buy something that's about to be replaced, so i may just sit tight and see what happens.

Cheers,

Andy
Old 17 October 2006, 04:38 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

I bought mine earlier this year when Currys were doing them for £49.97 and I was told they were discontinued lines. I'm not aware of anything coming out to replace it. TBH the Revo site has been updated only a few months back as it listed the unit @ £199.99 and the in house cradle thing was to be available soon - still says it. The new Pico thing too says coming soon still. I don't think Revo will be rushing out a new model. I also asked Revo about new firmware etc for my unit and was told there isn't any. You can try asking Revo direct and see what they say - my personal opinion is to find a Halfords with stock and buy it as I doubt they will get anymore in. My unit had a card in the box to claim a free carry case and remote control, had to chase them once but received it OK. They are also usually listed on fleabay for £79.95 too, probably bought from Currys for £49.99.

Andy.
Old 17 October 2006, 08:50 PM
Slap Head
Scooby Regular

I've got a Kenwood DDX7025 and the hideaway DAB unit, even with the kenwood supplied roof mounted aerial, once you get away from london the reception becomes a little patchy, but apart from that the sound quality far exceeds FM.

But trust me it took some ***** to drill a 20mm hole in the roof of a brand new 06 STi

Tim