ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

What Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2006, 08:31 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Speakers

I'm wanting to upgrade my speakers in my Impreza, now from what I understand I need 6.5inch in the fronts and and 5.25 for the rears, but my question is this, is there a certain make I should get for thickness so as to fit perfectly, or will any make do?

Also any recommendations would be great as to what you have fitted!

DAZ.
Old 22 September 2006, 10:23 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any make with adaptors mate.
Old 22 September 2006, 10:28 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

So its not a straight swop then?, I've heard of these adaptors in other posts, is it just one to fit a Subaru?
Old 22 September 2006, 11:40 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I`ve never found speakers to fit as a straight swap so thats why adaptors are used. Unless you want to drill holes in your door!
Old 23 September 2006, 07:44 AM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Have you checked the faq sticky thread?
Old 23 September 2006, 09:28 AM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Checked the FAQ section many times, its just people have different thoughts and suggestions!.

Getting there, so this adaptor that needs to be about 12mm thick basically lifts the speaker out from the door then, but not so far as to stop the door card going back on?.
Old 29 September 2006, 09:36 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

If I was to go for some Infinity 6512si in the front doors, would I still need the tweater already there, or do you just disconnect it as the new speakers have a tweater fitted in the middle?

Trending Topics

Old 30 September 2006, 01:11 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

People have said they have just done the front speakers and left the rears as standard, is this a wise thing to do, or is it a half job?
Old 30 September 2006, 01:11 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DarrenSTI
If I was to go for some Infinity 6512si in the front doors, would I still need the tweater already there, or do you just disconnect it as the new speakers have a tweater fitted in the middle?
You wouldn't use the existing tweeter at all; probably easier to leave it in there but it's simple to unbolt.

I'd go for component 'speakers in the front though (i.e. woofer with separate tweeter) if it was me (as indeed I did...)
Old 30 September 2006, 01:17 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

I haven't got a clue with these cross-overs etc, are they really that much better than the co-axials(think their called?)
Old 30 September 2006, 01:26 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

They 'should' be better; having the tweeter higher up helps as the high frequencies are easier to hear.
Old 30 September 2006, 01:31 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Ru:- do you think its best to do the rears as well?. For now I've still got the standard head-unit though.
Old 30 September 2006, 02:35 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

I don't think that the rears are that important, to be honest. Doing mine made a small improvement, however to start with change the fronts and the HU...

Many on here actually recommend changing the HU before doing anything else. I did the front 'speakers first, and that showed up how utterly poor the HU was. Not to say the standard 'speakers aren't utterly poor too though!
Old 01 October 2006, 11:33 PM
Tissy
Scooby Regular

DarrenSTI - I'm in the process of upgrading my OEM speakers in my 55 WRX. For the time being i'm upgrading the fronts with Infinity 6512si. They are 6.5" and the 'si' denotes they are very shallow in there mount. These are the prefered speakers from what i have read on many forums etc. Here is a supplier at a very good price IMO - http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/prod...oducts_id=4226

To mount them i am looking at these - http://www.iaperformance.com/product...roducts_id/243

These will prevent you drilling into the doors for mounting etc. This thread by COLZO may assist - https://www.scoobynet.com/05-sti-spe....html?t=539775

I have sent the supplier an email to see if they have a UK distibutor as their P&P is a little expensive. Put it in your basket and find out!! I think it will be cheaper to fly to the US and hand collect. I guess they will have a standard airmail option. So if you email me, we may be able to come to an arrangement if i order 2 sets ? Or of course you can just order direct.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Old 02 October 2006, 02:34 AM
stevebennett
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tissy
DarrenSTI - I'm in the process of upgrading my OEM speakers in my 55 WRX. For the time being i'm upgrading the fronts with Infinity 6512si. They are 6.5" and the 'si' denotes they are very shallow in there mount. These are the prefered speakers from what i have read on many forums etc. Here is a supplier at a very good price IMO - http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/prod...oducts_id=4226

To mount them i am looking at these - http://www.iaperformance.com/product...roducts_id/243

These will prevent you drilling into the doors for mounting etc. This thread by COLZO may assist - https://www.scoobynet.com/05-sti-spe....html?t=539775

I have sent the supplier an email to see if they have a UK distibutor as their P&P is a little expensive. Put it in your basket and find out!! I think it will be cheaper to fly to the US and hand collect. I guess they will have a standard airmail option. So if you email me, we may be able to come to an arrangement if i order 2 sets ? Or of course you can just order direct.

Hope this helps.

Steve
I got some of the spacers from the states and i thought the P&P was high but after Colzo said he got postage for £20 i emailed and got the same rate. Email them to see what they will offer they arrived after 7 days after being checked by HMRC.

They make the fitting of the speakers so much easier and neater compared to using MDF, also come with a pack of replacement extended door fixers (black push fit things.)
Old 02 October 2006, 12:50 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Had a chat with a guy at a ICE shop near me and they'll fit the speakers and make adaptors out a proper wood rather than MDF for £40.
Just need to arrange a day for it to be booked in, I guess £40 isn't bad for a couple of hours work etc.
Old 02 October 2006, 01:58 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DarrenSTI
Had a chat with a guy at a ICE shop near me and they'll fit the speakers and make adaptors out a proper wood rather than MDF
What's he making speaker adaptors or a new kitchen? The last thing you want is wooden "adaptors" in your door. MDF is the ideal material nice, dense and easy to shape.
Old 02 October 2006, 06:20 PM
andy scooby
Scooby Regular

hi,the best speakers on the market at the mo are called audio system and have them fitted in my civic type r and they are awesome!!!only 2 dealers in the country can get em.they are based in colchester.heres their number..
01206870004.its called world of ice.....if you say that andy with the type r recommended you,you will get a big discount m8 as spent loads there .hope you get sorted
andy
Old 02 October 2006, 09:15 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Andy Scooby, thats where I went World Of Ice. Think I'll try these Infinity's, but the wood they said they'll use was MDF, but had some other 3 letter name, surely it can't be bad if they are using it, as they fit all sort of systems?.

What are Infinity Kappa's, are they a stage/grade higher than the ones already talked about, just that on caraudiodirect site, their whole prices are very cheap, the Kappa's have a higher wattage.
Old 05 October 2006, 01:42 PM
andy scooby
Scooby Regular

had infinitys in my old car and they are definately an upgrade from stock speakers...they are a good sound m8.their amplifiers are also good as still running that in my other car
Old 10 October 2006, 02:37 AM
Tissy
Scooby Regular

Default Infinity range speakers at excellent price IMO

DarrenSTi - If you haven't bought your speakers yet and was looking at the Infinity range, you might want to look at BassJunkies.co.uk. They have the following on a WEB offer -

Infinity 5012i - £30 inc VAT
Infinity 6512si - £40 inc VAT

Heres the link for the Infinity range - Car Audio,Car Amplifier, Car subwoofers and Car Speakers - all at great prices - brands include Pioneer, Sony, Alpine, Kenwood and JVC=

If you've already bought them and paid more, sorry, if not, get in there quick. These four speakers for £70 inc VAT i think is an excellent price.

Regards,

Steve
Old 10 October 2006, 07:41 PM
stevebennett
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tissy
DarrenSTi - If you haven't bought your speakers yet and was looking at the Infinity range, you might want to look at BassJunkies.co.uk. They have the following on a WEB offer -

Infinity 5012i - £30 inc VAT
Infinity 6512si - £40 inc VAT

Heres the link for the Infinity range - Car Audio,Car Amplifier, Car subwoofers and Car Speakers - all at great prices - brands include Pioneer, Sony, Alpine, Kenwood and JVC=

If you've already bought them and paid more, sorry, if not, get in there quick. These four speakers for £70 inc VAT i think is an excellent price.

Regards,

Steve
These are only Coaxial speakers not components. Good prices though
Old 11 October 2006, 05:47 PM
SivMY05Sti
Scooby Regular

I paid £62 on Fleabay for the Infinity components - came next day, following the threads on here meant it was a two hour job to put them in, and making the MDF spacers was a doddle, £9 for the MDF (enuf to make about 20 spacers ), and the difference is well worth it.

Also had one of those cheap transmitters for the Ipod - £7 !!! delivered - works a treat surprisingly.......
Old 13 October 2006, 11:09 AM
MatteeGee
Scooby Regular

It really depends on what you're trying to achieve here. If you just want a bit better quality then a replacement set of coaxials will do the job.

For a bit more you need a decent HU. Pioneer and Alpine are the popular choices. The built-in amps in these are very good. Especially the Burr-Brown amps in the Pioneers.

This is a cheap way of improving the sound with little effort.

After that you really need to consider using external amps with higher quality component speakers up front and perhaps a sub in the boot.

I've got Focal components up front with huge spacers which were a bitch to fit without any resulting vibrations. They're powered by an Alpine amp.
Then there's the 12" sub in the boot with a PG amp powering that. As for rear speakers... well... there aren't any! I took them out to let the sub do a better job cos I've got a saloon. You want your sound stage up front so there's no point having full range speakers in the back!

Oh, and I forgot to mention the endless quest of stopping vibrations throughout the car. The classic Scoob isn't put together particularly well in this department.

This is still a fairly basic setup I hasten to add.

Choose what you want from your system then build around that. If you do it right you can upgrade in stages without having to replace anything you've already added making it cost effective.

Matt