ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

CD unit with MP3/USB

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2006, 10:32 AM
ScoobyWRX300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD unit with MP3/USB

Like most scooby drivers I'm not happy with the standard audio player and I'm looking to upgrade. The cars a MY05 WRX300 with the standard Subaru 2 DIN Radio/CD/Tape player.

I've been considering swapping to a single DIN unit and fitting the Forester pocket (with flap) into the spare gap.

Ideally I'd like to get a unit with MP3 & USB capability but has anyone any recommendations?

Cost is more of an issue than high end performance as I'm looking more for fuctionality to avoid the constant CD & tape swapping. The sound is muffled by the exhaust noise anyway

Do the USB units all offer similar functionality - ie is it easy to scroll through tracks, can they be in different directories etc?
I've seen on other threads that there are issues with using USB hard disks because they may not get enough power from the head unit but I assume a 4Gb USB Pendrive would be ok?

Thanks
Old 15 September 2006, 11:44 AM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Kenwood offer various USB/Mp3 headunits including this double DIN http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk...ivers/DPX701U/

See here for all models http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/car/

We are Kenwood authorised dealers so will be happy to quote.
Simon
Old 15 September 2006, 01:31 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the kenwood DPX701U unit a little while ago - actually from a guy on here.
I'd ordered one months ago from a local place, but Kenwood seemed to have some sort of supply problem.

I like the unit, and have tried using a memory stick on it etc - works well.
Haven't tried any fancy USB drives on it yet.

Its way better than the standard unit - which lets face it wouldn't be hard.

I did change the front speakers aswell to kenwood components. Rears are still standard.

Kenwood also do a bluetooth option - I've had that on order for months too, and still no sign of it.

There are piles of setup options on the unit too - speaker types etc.

Good unit in my opinion, plus its double din and looks more standard fit than the single din plus dopey pocket things

Shaun
Old 16 September 2006, 10:30 AM
Wils
Scooby Regular

Check the link for a Kenwood Head unit with MP3/ I-Pod interface https://www.scoobynet.com/kenwood-kdc-w808-t541276.html
Old 16 September 2006, 11:46 AM
spaspeckerthedull
Scooby Regular

I'm also looking for a new headunit to replace my 8 year old kenwood minidisc - don't know what your budget is, but I like the look of this

http://www.bosch-presse.de/TBWebDB/e...arch=1&id=2611

I was talking to a local ICE dealer the other day who said that blaupunkt had "lost their way" over the last few years but have recently changed their design team, and not before time - I really like the look of this unit and wouldn't mind having a look at one, it has the mp3/usb combo as well as being able to accept memory cards. Personally I've been a kenwood man for years, but I don't like these new headunits that have a "***** joystick" (quote from a friend!) I've looked at alpines but they seem to be a bit "trebley" for me. The new becker grand prix looks like a good one - quality brand with lots of features, including the bluetooth option without the need for a seperate interface, not sure about the usb bit though.

My problem is I'm not interested in formula 1 cars or swimming dolphins on the display as I'm not 19 and don't wear my hat backwards. All I want to see on the display is the silly old track title and artist name. How old fashioned of me. Only trouble is the headunits that I've viewed over the last 8 months that do just this seem to be way out of my price range. I suppose it depends on just how far you're willing to go, I used to spend a lot of time in my car so I went for the whole shebang - amps, components, subs etc. but I never used to drive round with the amp on turned up to 11 and the windows down, I just wanted quality sound. In my wrx my94 I'm still using the setup I bought 8 years ago (mb quart components in front, kenwood minidisc headunit and alpine amp) the only difference is I made a "stealth" sub box out of fibreglass to fit in the rear quarter of my boot as I didn't want an invasive "wedge" shaped box taking up all the space. I also didn't fancy spending £160+ with stealthboxz so I made my own.

But I digress ...............

Sorry for hijacking your thread!!!!
Old 02 October 2006, 09:10 AM
Anderooo
Scooby Regular

New guy here as well got the new baby over the weekend, and seriously like the look of the Kenwood DPX701U to replace the thingy in the dash currently.

Just wanting to check with somebody that may have it, if they have tried connecting a Iriver MP3 player to it? I have a 40GB unit that basiclly has all my music on it that I fancy using in the car.
Old 02 October 2006, 12:52 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
I bought the kenwood DPX701U unit a little while ago - actually from a guy on here.
I'd ordered one months ago from a local place, but Kenwood seemed to have some sort of supply problem.

I like the unit, and have tried using a memory stick on it etc - works well.
Haven't tried any fancy USB drives on it yet.

Its way better than the standard unit - which lets face it wouldn't be hard.

I did change the front speakers aswell to kenwood components. Rears are still standard.

Kenwood also do a bluetooth option - I've had that on order for months too, and still no sign of it.

There are piles of setup options on the unit too - speaker types etc.

Good unit in my opinion, plus its double din and looks more standard fit than the single din plus dopey pocket things

Shaun
Shaun,

Have you got any pics of it installed ? and did you try it out with the standard speakers ? If you did, was it still noticeably better than the standard HU.

I'm in a similar position, would like to upgrade HU and speakers but can't find anything that looks OE. Don't want single din with pocket.

I've even considered modifying the standard HU to give pre-out but don't know if this can be done.

Allan