ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Kenwood DDX 6029 (and all DVD player) theft prevention

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2006, 10:53 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kenwood DDX 6029 (and all DVD player) theft prevention

I'm thinking about getting the above kenwood (or similarly priced Pioneer motorised screen DVD player) but i'm a bit concern about having such a piece of kit on show where ever i have to park the car. Looking at all the specs the screen doesn't seem to have a removable portion, is this correct? Also looking at all the other motorised screen DVD players in this price bracket they too don't seem to have a removable portion.

Do you just have to hope that some thieving scum doesn't notice what's installed or am i missing something and a bit can be removed like normal CD players to ward off the scum???

Tony.
Old 22 August 2006, 10:59 PM
white scooby
Scooby Senior

The Alpine IVA D310 has a part removable front. . . but its only a single din motorised unit, and afaik the Kenwood you mention is a double DIN?

Can recommend the Alpine in the scoob. . . can email you a pic of mine fitted in my last scoob if you want?
Old 23 August 2006, 08:51 AM
Tosty
Scooby Newbie

Hi,

You are correct. The DDX6029 has no removeable theft protection. Apart from the unit being screwed into the centre console there is no real protection. I reckon it could do with a removable credit card type of protection. That way it's easy to carry with you. Not having looked at ICE for many years, has this ever been used? I should patent that and send it to Kenwood!

My only other suggestion is to use some kind of security screws instead of the normal ones holding the unit it. Admittedly the thieving scum might crowbar the unit out and leave a mess of plastic behind though.

Regards

Tosty.
Old 24 August 2006, 10:29 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Hi,

If you could e-mail pics of the alpine that would be great... toe_scooby@hotmail.com

Pity about the Kenwood. The reason i'm nervous about things with no removable parts is i had a Sony black panel CD player a few years ago (the ones that when off look like just a black panel... obviously ) and some scum smashed the window and tried to nick it. As it was installed in a jap import it was screwed in like the DDX 6029 would be, he didn't get the unit but levering it with a screw driving made a complete mesh of both the centre console and also the head unit... both needed replacing.

I don't want the same happening again

Tony.
Old 24 August 2006, 12:12 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I have the Kenwood KVT 827DVD and that has a removeble front part, so does the 627 and 727.
Old 24 August 2006, 12:23 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Hmmm... just over £500 for the 627. That looks to be a favourite at the moment then.

Anybody used the Garmin navigation add on for these?

Tony.
Old 24 August 2006, 01:36 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Tone Loc
Hmmm... just over £500 for the 627. That looks to be a favourite at the moment then.

Anybody used the Garmin navigation add on for these?

Tony.
Not used it yet as I have not got it installed yet, that is being done on monday hopefully.

It is probably pretty similar to most of the GPS systems so pretty much of a muchness really, it does come with a gyroscope so should hopefully at least know which way it is pointing, and you can update it via SD card from downloads from Garmins website.

Only other GPS I have used is Navman so I am open to the Garmin being different but from reading about it it seems to do everything my navman does and abit more.

Trending Topics

Old 24 August 2006, 03:36 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I'm thinking of getting the DDX-6029 this weekend from Car Audio Security cause they've got some cracking offers on (20% off some AV units). The security issue is something that does worry me though. I guess you shouldn't live your life worried that something may get stolen but I wish Kenwood would have made some effort towards visable security.
Might be worth talking to Car Audio Security at the weekend and see if they can do a deal on the fold out screens like the 627
Old 24 August 2006, 03:47 PM
Tosty
Scooby Newbie

Hi,

Certainly have used the KNA-G520. Very impressed. Partnered it with the DDX6029, but would be the same result on a single din setup.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k275/GuernseyTosty/CIMG0050.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k275/GuernseyTosty/CIMG0051.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k275/GuernseyTosty/CIMG0052.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k275/GuernseyTosty/CIMG0053.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...y/CIMG0054.jpg

Previously used a Garmin nuvi gps. Prefer the built in look of not having cables all over the dash. Fitted it myself, so it can't be that difficult.

Recently did a Franch trip from St Malo to Euro Disney. Worked really well and no problems navigating the lane changes through Paris. Also it had no problems with the various tunnels we went through.

If you want any more details just ask.

Regards

Tosty.

Last edited by Tosty; 24 August 2006 at 03:50 PM.