ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

FYI Infinity 6500cs

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2006, 08:29 AM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FYI Infinity 6500cs

I have fitted a set of Infinity 6500cs into front doors of my 06 Sti. I used dynamat and one 12mm mdf spacer and they clear the window no problem and do not foul the door card at all.

Just thought I would share that as I have read many posts that 12mm would not be enough etc..

The sound is a huge improvement but they could really do with being amped as I do get some distortion when the HU is cranked right up.

Maybe one for the faq!
Old 20 June 2006, 04:12 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Neil, yes, a good 'un for the faq...
Old 20 June 2006, 10:02 PM
budge28
Scooby Regular

Are you still using the original head unit?
I just changed mine and it made loads of difference, thinking of doing the speakers now!
Old 20 June 2006, 10:08 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neil W
...Just thought I would share that as I have read many posts that 12mm would not be enough etc.....Maybe one for the faq!
I've edited my 'guide' in the faq, not that anyone read it

Old 21 June 2006, 08:45 AM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

ru'

I found your posts very useful mate. Printed them all out and they were very helpful. I already had 12mm mdf spacers from my previous scoob so tried them on their own first and was very pleased the window did not hit.

Changed the HU first which improved the sound and then changing the fronts improved it further. I still have to fit the rears but need to order some of those speaker rings first or maybe even make set of my own using mdf. How thick are the ones you bought?
Old 21 June 2006, 01:05 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

They weren't very thick as I recall, as there isn't much room behind the door card. Maybe 10mm? (I'm guessing here).

I think their main purpose was to provide a wider mounting area for a slightly larger loudspeaker than the OEM unit.

Glad the guides were of some use!
Old 21 June 2006, 04:30 PM
Slap Head
Scooby Regular

Is there a depth issue on the rear speakers as with the fronts? or can you just replace the ****e OEM speakers for some more powerful 4" speakers without adding spacers?
Old 21 June 2006, 08:55 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

As far as I know depth isn't really a problem at the rear, it's just the clearance to the door-card (kit I bought included longer 'stand-offs' to space the card out).

To be honest I noticed much more improvement changing the fronts than the rears, although thinking about it I never sit in the back anyway...
Old 21 June 2006, 09:16 PM
Slap Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ru'
As far as I know depth isn't really a problem at the rear, it's just the clearance to the door-card (kit I bought included longer 'stand-offs' to space the card out).

To be honest I noticed much more improvement changing the fronts than the rears, although thinking about it I never sit in the back anyway...
Thanks for that , i didn't bother changing the rears on my old 01 WRX but i did have Infinity 6000cs 's in the front, but being a tight-**** i replaced with the OEM's for trade it , now they are all ready to fit to my new 06 STi, i just thought while i had the car in bits i may as well replace the rears

Tim
Old 27 June 2006, 07:34 PM
Ratling
Scooby Newbie

Default Crossovers

I've just fitted some 6500cs to the front with Corsa spacers in my 05WRX. Stupidly didn't fit the crossover thinking the scoob would already have something - just discovered they use a capacitor on the tweeter which I've now binned. How do you fit the crossover, do you just connect it the mid speaker cable and then connect the tweeter and mid to it? I'm just worried about losing half the power cos the original speaker cable is split. Do you just leave the old tweeter cable hanging in the frame?
Old 27 June 2006, 07:56 PM
Slap Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ratling
I've just fitted some 6500cs to the front with Corsa spacers in my 05WRX. Stupidly didn't fit the crossover thinking the scoob would already have something - just discovered they use a capacitor on the tweeter which I've now binned. How do you fit the crossover, do you just connect it the mid speaker cable and then connect the tweeter and mid to it? I'm just worried about losing half the power cos the original speaker cable is split. Do you just leave the old tweeter cable hanging in the frame?
Yes, thats what i did on my old WRX and then fixed the crossover to the back of the door card with double sided carpet tape

Tim
Old 27 June 2006, 10:07 PM
Ratling
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Slap Head
Yes, thats what i did on my old WRX and then fixed the crossover to the back of the door card with double sided carpet tape

Tim
Fantastic, thanks Tim. I'll give it a go this weekend.

Just hope I don't break the plastic latch inserts again. Broke both the drivers and passenger side last weekend!