Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI - Cheapest Snowchains

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2001, 11:07 AM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI - After a bit of a search, the cheapest "proper" snowchains I've found for 205/50-15 are PEWAG Brenta C 43.48 GBP (inc VAT and carriage) from brindley-chains.co.uk.

These are pukka Austrian-made jobbies so should be good quality.

High-tech cable ones (no throw-off) are available from snowchains.co.uk but start getting silly prices.
Old 02 February 2001, 11:52 AM
Buzz Lightyear
Scooby Regular

Smile

Don't forget if you're travelling abroad it's usually cheaper to buy them somewhere on-route rather than the UK.
Old 02 February 2001, 01:11 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Buzz Lightyear:
<B>Don't forget if you're travelling abroad it's usually cheaper to buy them somewhere on-route rather than the UK.[/quote]

Yeah - going into the resort just after the feds have busted you for not having any.....

Having said this, i've never seen it happen - did drive out of La Rosiere (France) last Saturday morning in a blizzard/road icy/snowy (no chains - rental car ) - watching the antics of other drivers going up and down the mountain - quite amusing!!

Old 02 February 2001, 02:23 PM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

For 43 quid it's not worth faffing around en-route to save a fiver...especially as I'm going to Austria and don't speak German.

Agreed I'm unlikely to need them but better safe than sorry. Bit like an avalanche transceiver, really.
Old 02 February 2001, 03:24 PM
Buzz Lightyear
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Airmiles:
<B>For 43 quid it's not worth faffing around en-route to save a fiver...especially as I'm going to Austria and don't speak German.[/quote]

Guess you'll be taking your beer with you as well so you don't have to faff around!!

I see your point and did the same, but seriously though, if anyone does need to buy some on-route most gas stations as you near resorts sell them at half the price - supply and demand etc, etc.
Old 02 February 2001, 06:04 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Air Miles - Where im Austria R U going? I was In Austria skiing at christmas and the roads where clear I had chains for my scoob but didn't need them even in the snow at the base of the glacier, but if you are passing Stuttgart on route I can lend you a set.

Steve