ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

iPod FM Icelink install

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2006, 05:33 PM
Crosstalk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod FM Icelink install

Just fitted one of these to a MY05 WRX in about half an hour. It helped knowing how to undo the console to get at the head unit. Here are some tips, so you don't have to do the thinking that I did...

- the white multicable block behind the head unit has the 12 volt supply on its inner two wires (they sit as a pair on their own), black is ground, green/yellow is 12V.
- the wires are a little fat for the red cable joint things to be pushed into place by hand. Use pliers, then shut the little shutter part.
- if you also undo the dash piece under the steering wheel, you can then poke out the switch blank between the fog lamp and headlamp leveller, and mount the iPod cradle to the switch blank itself (and you're drilling a minor part of the car), with two of the self tappers that come with the Icelink kit.
- run the wire from the cradle into the hole for the switch blank, and you'll find the switch blank will still fit snugly into the hole even with the wire nipped between it and the dash.
- run the wire from the cradle behind the dash, cable tie it to some convenient parts under there to stop it drooping down, and you should then be able to poke it through the side of the centre console so it terminates behind the head unit.
- test it all works, put everything back together and you're done, no wires showing, all nice and neat.

The iPod then sits just at your right hand and you can easily see the display and thumb through the menus. And you can still poke round the sides of it to work the switches.

I'd post a pic, but really, there's nothing much to see.