Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Any speakers fit without mods..........

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2006, 11:42 PM
MTayler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any speakers fit without mods..........

...as title.
Have been reading and trying to decide what speakers to put in the doors of my 03 Impreza but really can't decide .
However is there a speaker that will go straight in without any mods, i.e. not having to make up spacer rings ?.
I have been looking at Infinity speakers on the web and like the look of these two, 5010 cs ( 5 1/4 ) and 6010 cs ( 6 1/4 ).
The 5010 have a mounting depth of 58mm and the 6010 have 53mm mounting depth, whichever I were to use will they still require a 12 mm spacer ring to be made up ?.
Any advice would be grateful

Mark.
Old 20 February 2006, 12:08 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest I have just fitted a speaker at 60mm depth. For ease of fit I used a Corsa adapter plate that needed very little modification to fit.

I needed to drill two new screw holes in the adapter to get a perfect fit and I needed to shave a little off the bottom edge. Tasks that took five minutes with a Dremel.

There is bags of clearance and the plates put the speakers up at a nice angle.

I am not sure if they would have fit directly - however I like the way they have gone in on the adapter plate which was a lot faster than doing the MDF thing.

The speakers I used were 165s (6.5in?)

Rannoch
Old 20 February 2006, 08:42 AM
MTayler
Scooby Regular

Cheer's for that Rannoch, I have seen that Autoleads do sell adapter plates for the Subaru so may be lazy and just buy those .
Failing that I will take the route you took, I take it the 165s speakers are Infinity ?.

Mark.
Old 20 February 2006, 10:41 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

No they are Focals.

Apparently the standard Subaru adapter plate is for a 130mm speaker - not sure if you can get 165 or 170mm versions.

I approached this with some trepidation and was uncertain of what would fit. Having done it I believe that it is relatively straightforward if you take your time and I also believe I could have easily fit the 170mm Kenwoods I originally had in mind. The first one took a couple of hours - the second one about twenty-five minutes once I had worked out what to do.

However I am now on the slippery slope having just ordered an amp as well!!

Rannoch

PS The ONLY thing that is a real bugger is getting the tweeter/door handle surround off. Even with all the care I took I still managed to break one as did someone else on here.
Old 02 March 2006, 10:05 PM
MTayler
Scooby Regular

Finally got my speakers and fitted them in today.
Settled for Infinity 5010cs and they are a massive improvement over the std items .
Also helps that the Pioneer head unit I've got in there has a DSP function so after a bit of time adjusting the frequencies it really kicks.
Thanks for the advice peeps.

Mark.