ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

DAB headunit recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2006, 05:31 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DAB headunit recommendation?

I'm in the market for a CD headunit, that will play MP3s and have a DAB tuner that uses an internal windscreen aerial.

I want it to go in my Golf, so I ideally want it to have red, blue or red & blue illumination.

Models that have caught my attention are:

Sony CDX-DAB6650
Blaupunkt Nashville DAB35
Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB54

Are there any other recommendations?
Are the internal DAB aerials any good?
Should I consider replacing my "bee-sting" aerial with an exteral DAB one?

Thanks
Andy
Old 10 February 2006, 07:19 PM
Tony MY03WRX
Scooby Regular

Hi Andy

I have a Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB52 and I'm still very happy with it. Its coming up to 2 years old now and hasn't missed a beat. Heres some pics that I took just after fitting.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=324396

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask m8

Tony
Old 10 February 2006, 08:41 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the info. I guess quality is always going to cost a little more.

The cheaper Nashville is a little too "modern" for my liking, but the design of the Woodstock DAB54 (which is the direct replacement to your model) looks very appealing.

I should be ok, but if I come across any issues, I'll be straight back badgering you!

Cheers
Andy
Old 13 February 2006, 07:31 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

I would suggest JVC KD-LHX601 . . . . .A Jap car needs a jap stereo . .Its got DAB and the rest of it . . Saying that . .I was pretty enthusastic abt DAB before I installed it! When I installed it, was a bit disappointed . .Reception is very intermittent , unless yr listening to Radio4 etc . . meaning national DAB . . . .

I had this debate on Pistonheads before . .Have a look . . .

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...p?h=0&t=188748

Enjoy!
Old 13 February 2006, 09:00 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

I had a Woodstock 52 and took a while to get a decent signal. Ended up going glass mount to external beesting without any real improvement. Then someone told me there was a software update from Blaupunkt, got that and it's been brilliant ever since.

Currently running the Woodstock 52 in the commuter car on a glass mount aerial (stick aerial on the outside, stick wire coupling box on the inside). Plus a new Woodstock 54 in the scoobie on an internal transfer type aerial which just sticks on the inside of the windscreen glass. Quality of DAB is slighty more consitent on the 54 than on the cheaper, older 52 but of course that could be the different aerials.

I now get excellent reception on both. It drops off one location in the bottom of a tight wooded dip on my commute for 1/4 mile and even fm drops out for most of this. Also drops out on M4 near Swansea just after the tunnels for a few hundred metres, otherwise no problem.
Old 13 February 2006, 10:26 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
I had a Woodstock 52 and took a while to get a decent signal. Ended up going glass mount to external beesting without any real improvement. Then someone told me there was a software update from Blaupunkt, got that and it's been brilliant ever since.

Currently running the Woodstock 52 in the commuter car on a glass mount aerial (stick aerial on the outside, stick wire coupling box on the inside). Plus a new Woodstock 54 in the scoobie on an internal transfer type aerial which just sticks on the inside of the windscreen glass. Quality of DAB is slighty more consitent on the 54 than on the cheaper, older 52 but of course that could be the different aerials.

I now get excellent reception on both. It drops off one location in the bottom of a tight wooded dip on my commute for 1/4 mile and even fm drops out for most of this. Also drops out on M4 near Swansea just after the tunnels for a few hundred metres, otherwise no problem.
What exactly did you mean by sofware update?I always though DAB would be a Transmitor rather than reciever issue . . .!!! . . My DAB is still intermitent, even after i changed my aerial and activated the singal booster . . .I'm lost . . .
Old 13 February 2006, 10:53 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

i was told in my area ( worcestershire) by 2 audio shops not to bother with Dab as the reception is still not good enough