ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Help with Handsfree Install and Automute

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2006, 10:45 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Handsfree Install and Automute

Going to install a Nokia CK-7W hands free kit next week. A few questions before I begin.

1. Does the MY02 double din head unit have an auto mute connection? If so do I need a special connector to interface the head unit and car kit?

2. Nokia manual recommends connecting the blue wire to the IGNS line of the car unit. Does the impreza have this and if so where's the easiest place to connect? Apparently this is used so that the handsfree kit turns off when the ignition is off. Could I just as easily take the live feed from the stereo?

3. Does the head unit have an audio in so I can do away with the Nokia loudspeaker? Once again any special connectors?

If anyone can recommend the best place for mic, handsfree unit etc please do. Pics also appreciated.

Cheers

Mike
Old 03 February 2006, 11:09 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Standard HU has a wire for mute; it's currently clipped to back of the HU, so you just need to crimp a connection on (when you remove the HU its obvious).

The HU also gets both a permanent live feed and an ignition switched one; it would be best to use the switched one so the car kit is not 'on' all the time - does the car kit also need a permanent feed?

The HU has no audio input I'm afraid.

I have the 'speaker in the passenger footwell, the mic on the roof lining roughly above the rear view mirror, and a bracket as per this:

Old 03 February 2006, 11:19 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

Thanks for reply

Originally Posted by ru'
Standard HU has a wire for mute; it's currently clipped to back of the HU, so you just need to crimp a connection on (when you remove the HU its obvious).
That's nice 'n easy

Originally Posted by ru'
The HU also gets both a permanent live feed and an ignition switched one; it would be best to use the switched one so the car kit is not 'on' all the time - does the car kit also need a permanent feed?
Yes, also needs a permanent feed. Is it OK to take both feeds from the head unit?

Originally Posted by ru'
The HU has no audio input I'm afraid.

I have the 'speaker in the passenger footwell, the mic on the roof lining roughly above the rear view mirror, and a bracket as per this:
I've got a similar bracket from Dashmount although it makes my cup holder redundant

Nice pic, where have you put the main unit?

Mike
Old 04 February 2006, 02:03 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Both feeds can be taken from the HU; the car kit won't take much power at all.

My main unit is stuck behind the ashtray; under the HU there's a space (there's some control box on mine already; just put the main unit on top of that).

Cables to the cradle were routed out the side of the trim which goes around the gear box opening and up to the heater controls; it's a bit of a bodge but it meant that no cutting/drilling was required.
Old 04 February 2006, 07:17 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

Nice one, probably tackle it next weekend

Mike