Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

2x2 channel amps or 1x4 channel amp?

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2006, 08:58 PM
discodancer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2x2 channel amps or 1x4 channel amp?

I am in a bit of a situation. Do I get 2x2 channel amps - 1 powering front components and the other powering rear door components with one amp under each front seat? or Do I have one 4 channel amp powering all 4 speakers?

ideas?
Old 08 January 2006, 09:49 AM
evolutionice.com
BANNED

Doesnt make and difference to sound. I prefer 2 seperate amps because you can upgrade alot easier.
Old 09 January 2006, 06:08 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

would go one 4 channel meself so long as its got independent crossovers on the amp for front an rear shd u want to change your system configuration at all later.
Old 09 January 2006, 09:47 PM
discodancer
Scooby Regular

Where would a 4 channel amp best be positioned? I want a discrete install. Will it fit under the passenger seat or will the odd person that sits in the back seats kick it. I know 4 channel amps can be a bit large.

The other idea is to put it in the book attached to the back of the rear seats. Any pics would be helpful.
Old 09 January 2006, 10:56 PM
AlanS
Scooby Regular

That's an interesting set-up your proposing. I'm certain you won't get the best sound though.

I've had 3 scoobies now and each one has had a quality ICE install based on the following schematics...

You must put quality components in the front, power these from a decent two way amp fitted under the seat. Then power your rear door speakers from your head unit [only need rear speakers for fill]. Finally, a sub in the boot, power this from a bass amp under the other seat.

This will give you a fantastic ICE set-up.
Originally Posted by discodancer
I am in a bit of a situation. Do I get 2x2 channel amps - 1 powering front components and the other powering rear door components with one amp under each front seat? or Do I have one 4 channel amp powering all 4 speakers?

ideas?
Old 13 January 2006, 09:56 PM
discodancer
Scooby Regular

I have gone with your advice AlanS.

Re: wiring. Should I buy at ready made set or make it up myself?

The Qdos from Halfrauds is a bit long and would waste a lot of wiring/cash. What dimensions should I go for with the amp under the passenger/driver seat? Is it worth making them up and maybe buy a decent set of hifi phonos?
Old 14 January 2006, 08:34 PM
AlanS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by discodancer
I have gone with your advice AlanS.

Re: wiring. Should I buy at ready made set or make it up myself?

The Qdos from Halfrauds is a bit long and would waste a lot of wiring/cash. What dimensions should I go for with the amp under the passenger/driver seat? Is it worth making them up and maybe buy a decent set of hifi phonos?
Go to Maplins for your amp wiring kit. http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...21073&doy=14m1 This one will give you a nice fat red power cable and a fat black earth cable. The power cable should be routed from the battery, through a rubber grommet in the bulkhead into the passenger side footwell, and feed to a gold plated splitter. Then take a short length from the two splits. The first amp under the passenger side of the seat could be either a 600W mono amp for a good 12" bass or a two way amp to drive some 90w RMS front components like the infinity 605cs. Take the seat out to make installation easy and earth the amp to a big bolt fixing the seat to the car floor.

Your kit will come with a basic set of RCA leads but in reality these are fine because you will never get studio quality sound in a fast moving vibrating noisy car. But you will get a great powerful ICE system thast will make you smile

Hope this helps