Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Stereo Sound Problems when Braking.

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2005, 12:03 PM
Wrx Iom
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Stereo Sound Problems when Braking.

Just started to get a really anoying problem in my 94 wrx sti.
Every time i brake whether hard or light, the stereo sound stops for a few seconds and then comes back on when i accelerate.
This is very annoying as the stereo works fine. Its a Pioneer flip down and as far as im aware works 100%.?????

I have had the Unit out and reconnected all cables to make sure and it is still doing it. Is there anybody out there who has had a similar problem or is the Head Unit just faulty internally maybe.??

Cheerz
Old 20 July 2005, 07:48 PM
wannaB4
Scooby Regular

is it related to the fact that you are pressing the brake or the fact the the car is moving/dipping under braking?
Old 21 July 2005, 09:25 AM
Wrx Iom
Scooby Regular

Default Stereo

Originally Posted by wannaB4
is it related to the fact that you are pressing the brake or the fact the the car is moving/dipping under braking?
It seems to be happining even when you brake very slightly but if you jerk the car again once the sound goes off it seems to start playing sound again.
Seems very odd and looking at where the cables go behind the stereo they seem to go off behind the passenger side.
Old 21 July 2005, 10:41 AM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wrx Iom
It seems to be happining even when you brake very slightly but if you jerk the car again once the sound goes off it seems to start playing sound again.
Seems very odd and looking at where the cables go behind the stereo they seem to go off behind the passenger side.
I assume the power stays on, in which case it may well be a bodge job by a previous owner who has rewired the speakers. I would personally disconnect all speakers and remove / inspect the cables all the way back to the HU.

I suspect that at some point behind the dash, you may well find some dodgy connections which are not visible where you would expect to see them. For example rather than using proper connectors, wires may have simply been twisted together and they have worked loose or are exposed and touching other exposed wires or metalwork when you break.

I cant think of any other reason why this would happen other than a more serious internal fault with the HU. Its gonna cost you either way.
Old 21 July 2005, 12:35 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Does it do it with all the HU sources (CD, tuner etc.)?

Does it do it when you use the handbrake a bit? If it does, then it's probably 'mechanical' (dodgy wiring problems etc.) if not then it could be an earthing problem related to the brake lights (although how I'm not sure). In fact, this could be tried when stationary by pressing the brake pedal so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree...

You could try disconnecting all the 'speaker cables at the rear of the HU, connect one back on and see if it does it still. Then disconnect that and try another of the 'speakers. Go through them all to see if it's one (or more) of the 'speaker wires.
Old 21 July 2005, 02:14 PM
Wrx Iom
Scooby Regular

Smile THANKS

Lots of interesting ideas. I will give them i try at the weekend and see if i can find the problem. I am hoping it is just a dodgy piece of wireing from the last owner or a dodgy earth cable somewhere. Possibly linked to the brake light. I will report back.
Thanks for the input.
Old 21 July 2005, 02:16 PM
Wrx Iom
Scooby Regular

Smile Oh yeh

The power does stay on all the time and it happens if either radio or cd is playing so it is definetely a speaker cable problem or internal to the HU.

THANKS AGAIN.
Old 22 July 2005, 10:46 AM
cjaffray
Scooby Regular

Do you have an amplifier, If so its more than likely a dodgy earth connection from the amp, If not it could be anything.