Old 22 May 2005, 11:07 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY iPod (etc.) Interface

Hiya

Found this whilst trawling;

http://nodivisions.com/tech/kenwood_aux_adapter/

Seems to be an adaptor for the CD changer socket on Kenwood headunits, i.e. standard on Scoobys.

I've ordered a suitable plug from Maplins, and will post back if I'm succesful...

(Okay, you can buy this lead for not much money, but I kinda like the idea of hacking my own - sad or what??)

Edit - for those of you interested who don't read to the end of this thread, this does not work. In my opinion it is impossible to add a simple line input to the standard head unit.

Last edited by ru'; 31 May 2005 at 12:44 PM.
Old 23 May 2005, 09:16 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Why create a cable that terminates to co-axial outputs, when you can get a cable that will plug directly into the back of you headunit that has an ipod connector on it.

If your headunit is CD-Text compatible, you don't even need to look at the ipod, as all the information will be displayed on your headunit.

You want a KCA-IP500
Old 23 May 2005, 01:15 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Obviously the lead I'll be making will be terminated in a 3.5mm jack plug, so it goes straight into the iPod. This will cost a couple of quid.

The interface you linked to was about £70 and looks not to be released yet. I have no idea whether the standard MY05 headunit (which could be a GX401 EF2?) is "CD-Text" compatible or not - anyone have any ideas?

Obviously iPod control from the head unit would be good though.

If the head unit has no CD Text, then you need the iPod on a bracket near the head unit to see what's playing. If you do this, you may as well use the iPod controls.

I'm up for a decent interface, but I'm reluctant to spend much on the standard headunit when in reality it needs to be binned!
Old 24 May 2005, 01:55 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

I'm interested in this idea too , would one of these do the job too ? http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/stock01/auxin.asp
Old 24 May 2005, 04:55 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

I think it 'should' do; the lead I'm making is supposedly a direct replacement for the Kenwood one.

What I am not sure about is that it will work with the standard head unit; it should do though.

If Maplin have their act together the plug should be waiting for me, but I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to rip my centre console apart to try it!
Old 24 May 2005, 07:52 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IN THE STICKS
I'm interested in this idea too , would one of these do the job too ? http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/stock01/auxin.asp
I was told (can't remember who) that this lead does not work on the Subaru/Kenwood headunit for some reason so it would be interesting to see if ru's idea works
Old 24 May 2005, 09:31 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Oh no! I was going to say "Don't do it!" on account of the hassle, but now there's another possible "Don't do it!" on account of it not working at all!

Anyway, unless (a) you have steady hands, (b) you have a very fine tipped soldering iron and (c) you enjoy fiddly wiring jobs DON'T DIY! I have none of the above...

Here's why (electronic engineers etc. look away now...):

Yuk!

Still, it all connects to where I think it should (if I'm right, the pin-outs shown on my link are from the connector rear) and here's the lead:

You'd never know the horrors lurking beneath the plug's shell

Hopefully I'll get some time soon to give it a go - stay tuned for another ru' scooby bodge.
Old 24 May 2005, 10:30 PM
ScoobyTom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ru'
Obviously the lead I'll be making will be terminated in a 3.5mm jack plug, so it goes straight into the iPod. This will cost a couple of quid.
But that would take the output from the headphone jack. The advantage of the KCA-IP500 is that it links to the connector at the base of the iPod (assuming it's a gen 3 or 4 or mini) giving a true line out, iPod charging plus the ability to control the iPod from the head unit - think iPod hidden in glove comparment well out of sight of any thieving scum.

Obviously iPod control from the head unit would be good though.
Yep

If the head unit has no CD Text, then you need the iPod on a bracket near the head unit to see what's playing. If you do this, you may as well use the iPod controls.
I've been using an iTunes FM transmitter for a while and this needs you to fiddle with the iPod rather than using the head unit. It's not easy whilst driving - in fact it makes placing a mobile phone call while eating a sandwich look like child's play - not really recommended on a road with any traffic.

I'm up for a decent interface, but I'm reluctant to spend much on the standard headunit when in reality it needs to be binned!
Of course the easiest solution is to buy one of the new Alpine units with the iPod interface included - I saw one at Halfords for £199 all in...
Old 25 May 2005, 06:40 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Okay, got to try the lead this morning before a meeting - there's me, parked on some North London street, window right down (could've been smashed) and taking the stereo out. No-one batted an eyelid!

Anyway, the f'ing thing doesn't work at all!

So, either;

(a) The info on the site is wrong
(b) I wired it wrong; assuming pins were numbered from the cable side rather than the plug side
(c) Subaru got Kenwood to use a different method so they can flog their factory CD changer etc.

Hmmmmm... RUBBISH!
Old 26 May 2005, 09:53 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Originally Posted by ru'
Okay, got to try the lead this morning before a meeting - there's me, parked on some North London street, window right down (could've been smashed) and taking the stereo out. No-one batted an eyelid!

Anyway, the f'ing thing doesn't work at all!

So, either;

(a) The info on the site is wrong
(b) I wired it wrong; assuming pins were numbered from the cable side rather than the plug side
(c) Subaru got Kenwood to use a different method so they can flog their factory CD changer etc.

Hmmmmm... RUBBISH!
Well done for trying though !
Old 26 May 2005, 10:58 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Ru, the pin leads I've made up in the past have all been numbered up from the plug side and follow a clockwise direction.

Won't hurt to try.
HTH
Old 26 May 2005, 01:12 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

I will keep trying! There is an audio input there somewhere...

I'm either going to make up a lead with all pins wired to have a play or go with the 'mirror image' wiring scheme and hope for the best. Wiring five pins was bad enough, wiring all thirteen will be a nightmare.

I was talking to the gf about this, she asked why I didn't just get a new headunit (as suggested above) - I said I may well do. She asked the price and when told she said "oh, but you need that money for my birthday present..."

Oooops - forgot about that one!
Old 27 May 2005, 06:39 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Just had a look at the service manual - success will be mine!
Old 27 May 2005, 06:42 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ru'
Just had a look at the service manual - success will be mine!
Go for it m8
Old 27 May 2005, 10:58 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Hmmm... Now I'm even more confused than I was before!

One thing I know is that the pins shown on the link in my first post are 'plug side', i.e. not solder side.

I've applied voltage to both the charger comms request and the charger mute request lines, which should at the very least mute the head-unit's CD. However it doesn't seem to do anything at all!

Audio fed to the L and R inputs similarly does nothing.

I've even gone and got the spec sheet for the main CPU in the unit to check its input voltage ratings, and it looks like I may have exceeded them somewhat (eek!). Having said that, it's still working as before.

Bit confused as to how to proceed now; I may pull the thing apart but I doubt that'll shed any light on it.

Rubbish!
Old 28 May 2005, 08:57 AM
Scoob+Bike=Fun
Scooby Regular

If Kenwoods own lead doesnt work on the H/U then your's wont either, but i suppose that if you have the serevice manual, then there will be a way around it somehow. If you can get the H/U onto the Changer source, then half the battle is won!
Old 28 May 2005, 09:36 AM
ru'
Scooby Regular

That's what I was thinking, but now I'm kinda of the opinion that the unit's software doesn't allow it to be used with a non-CD changer input.

For what it's worth, here are the 13 pin DIN functions (input refers to an input to the headunit, output refers to an output from the headunit):

1. REQ H O/P Comms request to changer
2. Ground PSU Ground
3. +12V PSU +ve. Note, control inputs need 5V max.
4. CH CON O/P Changer control
5. MUTE I/P Mute request from changer, active high
6. Aud gnd Audio signal ground
7. RST O/P Changer reset
8. Audio R Audio input, right channel
9. REQ C I/P Changer comms request
10. DATA C I/P Data from changer
11. DATA H O/P Data to changer
12. Audio L Audio input, left channel
13. CLK O/P Clock signal

It's a shame I don't have a changer to play with, but I'm guessing if the head unit doesn't see the right data it doesn't allow the audio input.
Old 28 May 2005, 07:12 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I've got a Dension Ice:link plus Kenwood adapter (including a bracket for the dash) for sale if anyone is interested?

Uses the interface for the CD multichanger.

over £100+ cost of the bracket new, I'll sell it to the first person who gives me £70 all-in?

Ta.

Steve.

Last edited by BuRR; 28 May 2005 at 07:21 PM.
Old 28 May 2005, 07:19 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Will that work with the standard head unit? If so, can you give an overview of what it allows you to do on the iPod and what it displays on the stereo etc.?

Cheers.
Old 28 May 2005, 07:22 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

It works with any Kenwood head unit that can control a CD multichanger. Unfortunately, it doesn't display text on the head unit, but as the ipod is usually mounted somewhere in view, you have the display on that.
Old 28 May 2005, 07:25 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info. (and quick response!), but I think I'll put the money towards an Alpine head unit and iPod interface.
Old 31 May 2005, 12:43 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Okay, I've officially given up on this I'm afraid.

In my opinion it is not possible to provide a simple line input on the standard headunit.