ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Rear Speaker Size ??

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2005, 06:46 PM
mickp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Speaker Size ??

Desperate to change the rear speakers in my 05WRX doors. Picked up a thread which said 10cm units were the correct size but after speaking with a car audio shop they seem to think 13cm units will fit.

Before i part with the cash has anyone upgraded the rears and if so what make & size did you go for.
Old 24 July 2005, 10:00 PM
asticot
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by mickp
Desperate to change the rear speakers in my 05WRX doors. Picked up a thread which said 10cm units were the correct size but after speaking with a car audio shop they seem to think 13cm units will fit.

Before i part with the cash has anyone upgraded the rears and if so what make & size did you go for.
How did you go on with your rear speakers? What have you fitted? I am liitle unsure about rears. I want to fit 5.25" Have you seen the following:

https://w109.webminders.com/iaperfor...plications.pdf

and: http://www.iaperformance.com/

regards,
Old 25 July 2005, 12:14 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

The speakers provided as standard in the rear doors are the crappiest I’ve ever seen in a car. To replace these I purchased some Infinity 552i’s off Ebay but as they are 5 ¼” models, they were slightly too big for the aperture left by the 4” originals. So I took the jigsaw to my 1 week old car, and cut about 5mm around the hole to make it big enough for the 552i’s to fit. The speaker grills supplied with the new speakers provided a template which could be used to accurately trace the size of the hole. The bare metal was smoothed and given a coat of lacquer as that side of the inner panel is open to the moisture that can collect inside the door.

To make things even more difficult the original speakers had three mounting holes and the Infinity’s had four, so I had to drill the panel and fit the new speakers using self-tapping screws into the fixing clips provided with the speakers.

Fortunately, the rear doors don’t suffer from the same problem with lack of mounting depth that the front doors have as the windows do not wind down enough for fouling to occur. However, the door card comes very close to the front of the speaker so if the tweeter component stands out, as it does on the Infinity 552i, then it can touch the rear of the door speaker grill.

Having gone through the hassle of sawing the panels I would recommend to anyone doing the same, that they should use 4” replacements instead and ensure that the mounting height is small enough not to touch the door card.