ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Amp set up ??

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2005, 11:03 PM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp set up ??

Just replaced an old Pioneer mini desk head unit in my Scoob with a new Pioneer MP77 which i'm well chuffed with.
However, the bass seems really full on, do I need to re-adjust my amp and sub woofer to be compatible with the new head unit ?
If so, is it much of a job and could I do it ?

Cheers for any help folks
Old 24 March 2005, 07:56 AM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Er, some more info would be good!

Does the sub amp run from a line-out or from the loudspeaker lines?

What adjustments are there on the amplifier?

What adjustments are there on your head unit?
Old 24 March 2005, 10:37 AM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

Its running from the Sub woofer line out, which i've checked is set up for sub woofer and not just a pre-out
Its running into an amp then into the sub.

Is is best to have the output set for sub out or just full pre out ?

On the unit I then have settings for 50hz, 80hz and 125 hz. I've had to turn them all down to stop the bass really thumping.
Just want it to sound full, not overpowering

The headunit is pretty flexible, probably why its causing me headaches !
Old 29 March 2005, 07:03 PM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matt Classic
Its running from the Sub woofer line out, which i've checked is set up for sub woofer and not just a pre-out
Its running into an amp then into the sub.

Is is best to have the output set for sub out or just full pre out ?

On the unit I then have settings for 50hz, 80hz and 125 hz. I've had to turn them all down to stop the bass really thumping.
Just want it to sound full, not overpowering

The headunit is pretty flexible, probably why its causing me headaches !
I have a similar pioneer head unit. The line out's are particularly high output! whan i got the head unit, i had to roll the sub amp back on the head unit. I'd say leave the sub amp as it is as it will help it stay close to the sweet spot of the amp but roll the sub level back on the head unit.

it's worth using the high and low pass filters to help seperate the sub from the rest of the speakers which will also help in getting the high-mid frequencies back by using the graphic EQ.

probarbly doens't make much sense, but it does in my own head! you just need to fiddle a little. I also found that the bass was a lot cripser and defined by putting the sub out of phase

hope it helps a bit

James
Old 29 March 2005, 08:23 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Yeah, what he said! Can you limit the bass going to the rest of the loudspeakers? It would be good to roll them off below about 125Hz so that the sub does that range, and the others do the rest (i.e. above 125Hz).

If you turn down the three ***** for 50, 80 and 125Hz then you're likely to get a 'lumpier' response than if you just reduced the sub output level from your headunit.

Try setting those three controls to flat, and adjust the head unit output until the general bass level is good.

You can then play about with the three controls to tailor the bass to suit the car, your ears and the music you like.
Old 29 March 2005, 10:01 PM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ru'
Yeah, what he said! Can you limit the bass going to the rest of the loudspeakers? It would be good to roll them off below about 125Hz so that the sub does that range, and the others do the rest (i.e. above 125Hz).

If you turn down the three ***** for 50, 80 and 125Hz then you're likely to get a 'lumpier' response than if you just reduced the sub output level from your headunit.

Try setting those three controls to flat, and adjust the head unit output until the general bass level is good.

You can then play about with the three controls to tailor the bass to suit the car, your ears and the music you like.
The way i have mine set is that I use the low pass filter so that my sub get's everything below 125Hz and the rest of my speakers are set with the high-pass filter to get everything above 80Hz, that gives a bit of frequency cross between the sub and the full-range speakers to avoid getting a distinct cross between the two
Old 30 March 2005, 06:46 AM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Yeah, good point; it's normally necessary to do that, although in theory land it isn't (if that makes sense!).

I guess the main thing is to start with things 'flat' (from a system point of view) and then make small changes, one at a time, and listen to music for a while trying to hear what's right and what's wrong.

Then make another small change and repeat the process until it sounds great or you get too bored!.
Old 30 March 2005, 01:25 PM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

This is just the sort of help I need, cheers guys. Makes a bit more sense to me now !
One last question, if I need to re-set my amp and sub again, do I just turn everything on the headunit to a flat setting ? What sort of volume levels do I need to have coming out the headunit though ? Is it best to set it up loud or low volume ??

Thanks