ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

VFM - ICE Advice

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2000, 12:47 AM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all - I too am contemplating my "fist install".

I'm thinking one of two setups
kenwood 5080 + changer + Infinty 60.5s - s.b. ~ GBP 365 + fitting (prices based on web not retail, admittedly)

or, moving up a step,

7080 + changer + Infinity Reference series - moves up to ~565

In either case i'd get the install done professionally (certified lazy & hamfisted), including soundproofing F+R doors.

My question is, will the first option really give a great improvement over standard, and if so, is the second as much of an imrovement again or are we into diminishing returns?

Thanks

Miles
Old 21 December 2000, 01:57 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

You're right about dimishing returns to a certain point, but I'd advise spending the money on the higher range if you're already tempted.

If you get the bug big style, it'll see you through and be the basis of a system for years to come - my changer is 6 years old now, and I'm still using the same cabling, etc. Admittedly, practically everything else has changed but that's evolution at work.

If money's tight after Christmas, why not leave the changer out and add it later - saving 200 quid-ish and back to the same initial layout.

For installation, you'd be surprised how much it can cost. If you're around the Yorkshire area, I'd be pleased to give you a hand and I dare say that you'd find others around the country willing to help out.

Cheers,

Nick.
Old 21 December 2000, 06:11 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Infinity 605CS is in the Reference series, slots straight in and costs £88 - I have them and think they're great. I would have thought the 7080R will sound identical to the 5080R - that's why I bought the 5080R - same circuits, fewer features, less sexy display. You have to go up to the 9000 series before you actually get improved CD circuits. Why not leave out the changer and spend £200+ on a really good 2 channel amp for those Infinitys. You may be pleasantly surprised how good this would sound and may not need a sub depending on what sort of music you like. I have a 4 channel Kenwood KAC848 £160 bridged to 2 channels for the Infinitys and I'm very pleased with it.

I was quoted £250 for installation - bought the kit for £100 (surprising how much wiring, soundproofing adds up to etc) and did it myself - I'm a first timer and it's not too difficult. Ask a friend to help.
Old 21 December 2000, 06:11 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I second what Chiark sez.....

Well worth spending the extra now and reap the rewards later...

Also, same offer if you're in the Midlands...

Dan
Old 22 December 2000, 11:40 AM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

Ah - I see the start of a slippery slope....

Well at 250 quid for an install (you're right - I'm surprised!) that's one decision made.

So thanks v. much for the offers of help guys, I might just take you up on that. Poss combine with a meet?

John, your comments on 5080 vs 7080 is EXACTLY the kind of advice I was looking for. Thanks,.

I'm not sure whether to go for an amp or not - with this kind of setup can I start without then retrofit?

I guess this means I'll just have to come on a meet and have a listen to a few setups!
Old 22 December 2000, 05:19 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5080R-8080R have two pairs of phono preout - this is what you need. 9080R has three - front, rear, sub. 8080R and above have headunit adjustable filters etc that can give you better control of your amp. But most amps have these anyway, it's just that on the better models you have extra ones that can be controlled from the headunit. Being a relative cheapskate (but still spending £800 on a system - so far) I would say the 5080R would do the trick. The £100 I mentioned on kit for installation involves phono leads, powercable, fuse, soundproofing, terminals etc etc which you would have to add to the cost of a setup with an amp.

Most decent headunits will have preouts, if not many amps will accept speaker level inputs, so really any headunit can be upgraded with an amp later, but starting out with the correct preouts for your system will help expandability later and not really cost that much more. I would not be tempted to go for any cheaper than 5080R - £150.
Old 23 December 2000, 05:07 AM
DIGGY
Scooby Regular

Smile

Just installed 5080R and JL (VR) speakers in my scooby took an hour and a half! I live near Reading so if i can be off any assistance?

PS going to Donnington on the 30th if you wanted a listen

Mark
Old 23 December 2000, 05:17 AM
DIGGY
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sorry meant to mention that i ordered the head unit from empire £141 to my door next day.

saved £160 quid than if brought from halfords.....(not a recomended place obviously, but who buys from them?? nearly as bad as the price they charge for crimps. bl**dy criminals!!

Oh how i hate running out of things like that when normal supplier is shut....

(oopps bit of topic, apologies)
Mark
Old 04 January 2001, 06:01 PM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

Thanks all - I've costed it up & think I'll go for the 5080, and the Kappas, and retrofit an Amp in due course.

2 final questions:

1) Dynamat vs dynamat extreme - is the latter worth it (I'll be doing all 4 doors anyway)?

2) what's the URL for Chiark's very nice FAQ section

Ta

Miles
Old 05 January 2001, 08:26 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I've tried Dynamat, Dynamat Super and Scosche Accumat. Accumat is the easiest to work with as it's the thinnest and has, in my opinion, the best adhesive. It seems as effective, too.

The FAQ is located at