Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Focal access 165v - bloody hell!

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2005, 08:30 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Focal access 165v - bloody hell!

Just fitted a set of Focal 165vs into my car before I sold it... The new owner left it up to me on what to recommend and buy, as long as I fitted them. Budget was about 100 quid, and we was paying for the speakers on top of the car deal.

The 165vs went into the door builds that I had. They'd probably just about fit in an my03 with a fair amount of packing out - probably more than 12mm

They're running of a Kenwood headunit putting out a claimed 50w per channel. Now I don't believe it'll do anywhere near that for one second, but all the same...

...damn they sound *good*! Even with minimal running in, they're performing brilliantly.

They've got plastic baskets, and a wimpy magnet, but they can reproduce a fair bit of bass and the treble is excellent. The x-overs must be working well because female vocals sound natural, and rock solid in image.

For 130 quid, these are *stunning*. I'm really very, very impressed - to the point that I might flog my CDTs and start looking at the focal utopia stuff.

Give 'em a listen. For sensible money they are truly a bloody good speaker with no particular nastiness sonically.

"Other brands of speaker are available. This does not constitute a formal recommendation from Scoobynet" etc etc
Old 04 March 2005, 01:48 AM
rhybeck
Scooby Regular

your not the first person i have heard prase up focal gear helix is another good name
Old 04 March 2005, 12:05 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I've been "out" of the scene for a bit, and it does seem that Helix is worth a listen. There's quite a lot of new-ish brands getting very good writeups... You don't need to spend a fortune to get stonking sounds I guess is the point of the post.

I would have written the focals off due to the plastic basket and lack of weight in 'em, but I would have been wrong