ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Sub advice needed please!

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2005, 09:01 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub advice needed please!

Just bought a 12" JBL 400w sub from a chap at work who's selling his install, been after a sub for a while to complete my setup! He gave me his amp with it but I decided to run it through my existing Vibe BlackBox 1 amp, wired it all up and gave the sub box pride of place at the back of the boot directly behind the seats. Turned the head unit on and it sounded brilliant in the boot, really deep and crisp bass.

THEN.... closing the bootlid and getting into the car the bass sounds little better than when it was just the 6x9s on the back shelf!

The bass is not travelling through the car very well at all. Anybody had similar problems and can offer advice it'd be MUCH appreciated!

Car is an MY94 saloon by the way. Ta muchly in advance,

James
Old 23 February 2005, 10:00 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Erm, have you removed the rear speakers? - allowing a vent for the Bass (i.e. through the Subaru holes improves things

I have 2*12 Inch Diamond M512's (1000wrms combined) and the Bass is adequate - if I put these in vurtually any other car I'd have no ears left (MY99) - Bass sound is a big issue in a Scoob

Only way round that I found was to:

1. Face the Subs towards the rear seat
2. Remove the 6*9's
3. Partially remove some of the foam on the back seat (a little drastic!)
4. Get a very powerful Genesis Monoblock at £k's
Old 23 February 2005, 10:11 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Ah, no I have not removed the rear speakers, to be honest I was hoping to keep them in for the mid-range but I may try removing them this weekend and see how it sounds!

Someone suggested to me cutting a smallish hole in the metal on the back of the rear seats and putting a grille of some description there in place to allow the sound to travel through more...

Had a go at facing the sub towards the seats, in fact I've tried it at every angle it will sit!! Not much change in sound unfortunately!

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated!
Old 24 February 2005, 02:00 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Don't cut metal, just remove rear speakers. They'll let the boot "breathe" more into the car.

I've got a single 12" Diamond M6 sub in my wagon, and it'll make my nose and throat vibrate. The problem, as fangoria said, is that it's quite difficult to get bass out of the boot in a saloon.
Old 24 February 2005, 02:32 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you tried reversing the phase of the sub?
Old 24 February 2005, 07:06 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Yep, remove the speakers as they tend to move with the sub, my OEM's were torn to shreds by my sub. Bass sounds much better with speakers removed.

Try not to cut the metal as it is not favourable. My RE SX12 sounds just right running on a Viper d600.1 monoblock 600w RMS,good powerful crisp bass, it is facing towards the rear of the car though, try turning your sub around once you have removed the rears.Try dropping you back seats, if you can, and have a listen then. My RE makes the windscreen shake, and as for the rear view mirror, forget it.

Also have you used any soundproofing??? This can result in bass becoming stonger by reducing the cars panels resonating and having an opposite effect on the sub, cancelling out bass.

Last edited by BigRed; 24 February 2005 at 07:09 PM.
Old 26 February 2005, 03:51 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'd have said thanks sooner but I've been ill the past couple of days and not really had chance to do anything with the scoob.

Power Junkie - aye I've tried reversing the phase of it, didn't make any difference from where I was sat unfortunately. Sat and played with the head-unit settings for aaaaages just to see what combinations worked best!

Big Red - nope not done any soundproofing yet, its definately in the pipeline but for the moment its all bog standard back there.

I'll have a mess about tomorrow and keep you posted!

Cheers again,

James
Old 03 March 2005, 11:43 AM
damatrix
Scooby Regular

i am having the same sorta issues too.. (its in the shop as we err type.. getting everything doubled :P)

i too dont want to lose my rear speakers as i want some rear fill, for the passangers. but its been suggested i should ditch them and just uprate the front, as they will do enough.

sound deadening def a good thing, no doubt u will see a noticable improvment, i drilled a few small holes in the middle of the shelf to help with breathing.. Dont think its made much difference but well it made me feel better hehe.

as for everything else.. what they said!

(itching to pick me car back up.. and crack some windows hehe)
Old 03 March 2005, 05:31 PM
axgt_bwaii
Scooby Regular

having two holes in the rear shelf is a gay idea. best thing to do is get a sub box port (a nice looking one) and fit it in the middle of the rear shelf leting some of the spl into the rest of the car. get another sub if it aint enough!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstallside.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...tallinside.jpg

this is my boot. all done by me . that funny looking clear tube arroud the boot floor is a bendy red neon strip!

stew

Last edited by axgt_bwaii; 03 March 2005 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03 March 2005, 08:18 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by axgt_bwaii
having two holes in the rear shelf is a gay idea.

this is my boot.
That's one gay boot
Old 04 March 2005, 12:56 AM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SimonD
That's one gay boot
LOL, think that looks pretty good myself, one sunny sunday when I've got some spare time and mdf I'm going to try and build a proper install, looking good axgt!
Old 04 March 2005, 06:04 PM
axgt_bwaii
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daft Lad
LOL, think that looks pretty good myself, one sunny sunday when I've got some spare time and mdf I'm going to try and build a proper install, looking good axgt!
in your face simonD

just kidding

stew