ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

MP3 Upgrade (Kenwood)

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2005, 04:38 PM
mikefyfe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MP3 Upgrade (Kenwood)

I've currently got a KENWOOD KMD-673R minidisc head unit with a 6 CD autochanger under the passenger seat.

I like the idea of playing mp3 tracks so the question is what do I upgrade?

Do I need to replace the head unit with a mp3 one (means I lose the ability to play mini discs)?

or

can I get a CD changer that plays mp3s that my current headunit will accept?

or

do I scrap the lot and start afresh?

Cheers

Mike
Old 17 February 2005, 09:57 PM
wrxmike
Scooby Newbie

I read on a previous post that it's the changer that decodes the mp3 signal, not the head unit, so if that's the case i guess an mp3 cd changer will do job.

Try having a search through the forum, i definitely saw something with words to that effect.
Old 18 February 2005, 08:45 AM
mikefyfe
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks Mike,

Had a search but couldn't see anything definitive.

So you reckon if I get hold of something like the Kenwood KDC-C719MP and do a straight swap for my current changer, the head unit will cope with mp3s from the changer?

The KDC-C719MP is a 10 disc changer, will this still fit under the passenger seat like my current 6 disc changer?

Thanks

Mike
Old 18 February 2005, 11:01 AM
wvoce
Scooby Regular

Am looking at something similar myself but want to connect the KDC-719MP to the existing factory head unit in a bugeye WRX. Chaps at CEL Direct are doing a good deal on these but he said I should check whether the head unit will talk to the changer as changer is aftermarket.

Anyone know if this would work?

cheers

will
Old 18 February 2005, 06:32 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wvoce
Am looking at something similar myself but want to connect the KDC-719MP to the existing factory head unit in a bugeye WRX. Chaps at CEL Direct are doing a good deal on these but he said I should check whether the head unit will talk to the changer as changer is aftermarket.

Anyone know if this would work?

cheers

will
I have a 2004 WRX and the KDC-719MP plugs straight into the standard headunit and works a treat
Old 19 February 2005, 04:27 PM
wvoce
Scooby Regular

Do you have the tracks in folders on your mp3 disks? and if so does the head unit recognise them??

Guy at CEL said it probably wouldnt so i would have say 100 tracks on one disk and no descriptions!!

Does this sound right

will
Old 20 February 2005, 01:13 AM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wvoce
Do you have the tracks in folders on your mp3 disks? and if so does the head unit recognise them??

Guy at CEL said it probably wouldnt so i would have say 100 tracks on one disk and no descriptions!!

Does this sound right

will
No i don't have them in folders, as you say about 100 tracks on 1 disc with no descriptions as that CD autochanger doesn't recognise MP3 tags or the name of the tracks, doesn't really bother me as i put it on random and let it do it's thing and surprise me with the next track
Old 20 February 2005, 11:04 AM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

If you have your tracks in folders with the Kenwood MP3 changer, you have to have a pause button on your head unit to access them. Press pause and you can select the folder, it does not list track name, folder name ETC so can be a little confusing. I do the same as Granby and stick to writing ALL the tracks into ONE folder and playback on random.Its a shame that you cannot shuffle ALL 10 disc's in the changer,like you can on the CD audio only model, 1000+ tracks, never get bored.
Another thing with the kenwood changer is that if you burn your disc's above 8x speed the playback becomes distorted and skips, anyone else had this problem???