Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Nakamichi Head Unit / Changer

Search this Thread

Old 25 December 2000, 01:43 AM
Dave25
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have a 3 month old TD-45Z and 5 disc changer which I have a love / hate relationship with and need some advice...

Went with Nakamichi through reputation. Happy at first but have just realised some major problems:

1) The headunit has very poor RDS - the clock on the unit does not sync to the radio signal even though the manual says it should. Traffic Announce feature is just a joke.

2) The CD player jumps - a lot. Mostly at the start of CD's but one CD refuses to play and another will not play a certain track. Surely it shouldnt jump when going over bumps yet this one nearly always does.

Question is - I'm going to take it back and get the CD player changed, and I feel I want the head unit changed as well. What would people recommend? I favoured the 6 disc in dash changer but am a bit hacked off with Nakamichi so may want to change to Alpine or other.

What would you recommend for a P1? ( Picking up on the 3rd Jan )

Thanks,

Dave.
Old 26 December 2000, 03:22 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I am personally not a fan of nakamichi, since it is essentially rebadged JVC. I would go for a becker if you like quirky non gimicky quality. But make sure it is there high end range as opposed to the main stream stuff.

Although since this is for a P1 I would recommend a 7944 alpine in dash cd. This model has been superceded but is and was my favourite and works that little bit better with the P1 wiring loom.
Old 26 December 2000, 10:23 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

I have a Nakamichi MB100 6 cd in-dash unit in my P1. These, for high spec systems, are the daddies.

No problems with playback,(cdr's included) the RDS is OK but you need to let it run for a few days until it "learns" where the stations are.

Are you using amps etc ?
Old 27 December 2000, 02:36 AM
Dave25
Scooby Regular

The problem I've seen with RDS on the unit is that it mutes when switching between RDS frequencies ( sometimes several times, which I thought it wasn't supposed to do ) and the clock synchronisation just does not work. Not at all happy and going to the dealer tomorrow.

Traffic announce works differently to any other unit I've ever seen - switch it on and every few minutes it searches up through the entire frequency range and gets back to the original station! I have never picked up a traffic announcement with it.

Not using any amps and how does the output's work when used on six-speaker P1? What gets connected where?

If the MB-100 works a lot better then I will pay the extra for it.
Old 28 December 2000, 12:18 AM
M_D_B
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I have the same problem with Traffic Announcements on my MB-75 (the cheaper 6disc changer), but it seems to occur only with BBC radio. I don't seem to get any hunting with Classic FM or local stations. I did email their helpdesk several times but got fed up with the lack of response.
Regarding the clock on the MB-100, does it actually set from RDS or do you still have to set it initially?

Martin.
Old 28 December 2000, 04:57 PM
Dave25
Scooby Regular

Angry

Martin,

The clock *should* set from the RDS signal - my hi-fi at home does and so does my Mondeo's head unit. I know the BBC do send out the time with the RDS signal, not sure about other stations.

It's never done it for me though, I resorted to setting it manually but then of course you have to change it each time the clocks change!

For interest, I went to the dealer yesterday and found that the CD's that refused to play didn't play on their demonstration units ( 20 bit ) either but did on the 1-bit models ( Your 75 )

They have the details of the CD and will contact BBG on the 2nd about it. Not a happy bunny. Will ask them to change it for an Alpine unit I think.

I don't find it acceptable to have a CD player that does not play back CD's !

David.
Old 28 December 2000, 07:47 PM
M_D_B
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Dave,
on the 75, you have to set the time manually, but it syncs to the RDS time signal so that it stays accurate. A rather unfriendly way of doing things really.
Martin.
Old 28 December 2000, 08:49 PM
Dave25
Scooby Regular

Martin,

I imagined that the 75 used the same sort of tuner as mine ( 45z ). As I said, mine has never set the time through RDS.

My dealer mentioned about the aerial being fully extended, which I have done. Testing it for the next few days now but I'm not holding out much hope.

Dave.