ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

advice speaker install

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2004, 10:05 PM
r4_rick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice speaker install

am in the process of changing the front speakers in my MY00, to Infinity 6500cs and have some questions...
1. As using the standard speaker wire from the head unit loom to the door. I assume the thicker terminal on the factory speaker is the +ive, as it is on the Infinity. I am worried about getting the +ive and -ive the wrong way round.
2. The Tweeters - The fitting kit for these doesn't look that easy,ideally I would like to use the angled casing to put them on the door mirror housing, but was thinking of taking the easy way our and just velcroing them in on the door, behind the tweeter grill. Am I making a mistake in taking the later route or is there any easier way with the door mirror mounting ?

Help please !
Rick
Old 27 December 2004, 10:38 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Don't know about the + and - however, the tweeters are a piece of cake to put on the mirror covers (on MY02 anyway).

Old 27 December 2004, 11:26 PM
MDBinaWagon
Scooby Regular

Fitting them to the door mirror housing is simple. Be carefull when you lever the inside cover off, look through the gap and make sure you don't snap the cover mounts (like I did ).
I've done it in my MY00, and it's just a case of drilling 2 screw holes for the mounting, and one for the wiring to pass through.
Martin.
Old 27 December 2004, 11:30 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

Ideally in a component speaker set up, the tweeters should be mounted as close to the mids as possible to get the correct sound staging.

Having the tweeters on show does look good, but some thievin scumbag could look in your car, see them and decide they are more entitled to them than you are.
I'd spend a little time and effort to put them behind the tweeter grilles.

I've had a car stolen and they took the kenwood head unit, cd changer, amps, components, 6x9's and sub
and a pioneer head unit from another car.
The police didn't want to know about the theft, so now I always go for a stealth install, and never keep the H/U face in the car
Old 27 December 2004, 11:35 PM
AlanS
Scooby Regular

http://www.chiark.com/scooby/icefaq.htm go here for help.

Personally I have now had the Infinity 605cs in the front of 3 impreza and they are awesome with 95 RMS there's plenty of power. Sound great running off an amp.

My tweeters are placed behind the door card in the same spot as the old ones. Make sure the hi-pass "box" is screwed to the door frame so it doesn't rattle at high outputs.