ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Sony Head Unit Power Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2000, 07:56 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Just got a Sony Minidisc/Tuner for my birthday. My problem started when I connected up then tried to turn unit off at the ignition, it was permanently powered-up. No problem the wiring diagram warned there may be wiring variations between car types and suggests switching power connections, red (switched supply) to yellow (continuous supply) and yellow to red. Did this and everything seemed fine, tuning etc.. stayed in memory when ignition switched from ACC to OFF. Left the car for 10 mins, came back and everything in memory was lost!. It seems the only way to keep everything is to connect both Sony leads to the car yellow (continuous) supply then remember to switch the unit off at the head every time I leave the car. There must be a solution to this, any suggestions please.
Old 05 November 2000, 10:56 AM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

Hi

Got a friend with an StiV and he's got a Sony Minidisk head unit. Has similar problem when installed in that it takes a while for the unit to switch off after switching the ignition off. It seems the 12V line retains voltage for a period of time. If he leaves his mobile charger in it dies instantly everytime and the head unit switches off.

I think he's going to mail Subaru.
Old 05 November 2000, 04:46 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Mark, swing by a certified sony installer near your way. I have seen this before, its a doddle. Seems that its wired on permanent live but does not retain the standy memory that requires very small ammounts of power (this would be shown when switched off-i.e if after 10 mins after removing ignition you have no clock showing on display-not sure if this applies to new model) to keep the memory updated...Im sure its a doddle to fix, simple wiring job.

Works the same as if you disconnect the battery, no memory retained as no back-up power there. You aint got none as there is a fault in the wiring with the live.

Ronaldo

[This message has been edited by RonaldoH (edited 05 November 2000).]

[This message has been edited by RonaldoH (edited 05 November 2000).]
Old 17 November 2000, 10:42 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Thanks for responding fellas, thought I'd give you the verdict now that its sorted. In fact the problem was exactly as Gizzmo's friend experienced, cheers for that Gizzmo.
What threw me for a long time was that by swapping the red/yellow leads the unit behaved more like you would expect, except when it came to keeping its settings.

I just couldnt believe that after taking the key out of the ignition the head unit should carry on playing for a further 30 seconds!!.

What's it all about Subaru????.

Now looking for a sub to fit inside the spare wheel. Anyone recommend one not too deep that will fit upside down on a bit of MDF flush mounted with the floor?.
Cheers,

Mark....
Old 17 November 2000, 11:04 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Hey Mark

You and ScoobyDoo555 should get together. His wife is making him sleep in the car. Lucky bugger.
Mine gets so lonely parked in the driveway allnight.

Let us know what happens with the spare wheel enclosure.

Cheers

Martin
Old 17 November 2000, 11:18 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Afraid I've got the same problem as Doo555, 5 door estate + nagging wife that doesnt want me to use up valuable boot space with a worthless box!.

Mark...
Old 17 November 2000, 11:23 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mark

Throughly recomend a Phase linear flat piston not only looks the B****x but sounds it aswell

Simon
Old 17 November 2000, 11:29 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Simon,

Sounds interesting. How much and where from please?. Oh and my sub amp is a rather pathetic Sony XM-255NX so it will need to be reasonably efficient I think. Thanks.
Old 18 November 2000, 03:41 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mark S & others - I've got a mate building me an MDF floor, and I'm looking at that Pioneer Sub with the metal cone (v. technical!!!) Can get the 12" for £45!!
Just need to sort out an amp now - I'm not meant to know but I think it's a Chrimbo prezzie - can't wait that long though.....:-(
Old 19 November 2000, 05:56 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

I'b be very interested in how your MDF floor works out, will it intrude much into the boot space?. Please keep us posted.
Old 21 November 2000, 06:45 PM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

Aylestone Audio in Cambridge do hand-built spare wheel subs and will be able to sort something out. I get all my gear through them, installation included largely, and get a nice discount If you ask for Gary, say I recommended them to you, they should be able to do a good deal. Sound guys.

I'm thinking of doing the MDF floor, but for now I'm concentrating on building my own vented MDF enclosure for my Rockford Fosgate Power DVC sub. Just for a laugh! All the specs are on the RF website, MDF is now cut, just have to find the time to screw it all together (and find a bit of 3" x 13" pipe!).

Richard